Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Questions on MY C6Z06

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default 3 Questions on MY C6Z06

1. MPSC (285x30x18) are wearing on the inside. They are mounted on the front. These are only used on the track. Camber is -1.5 and Toe is zero. I didn't notice this till my last event when I ran at least 2 lbs less pressure. My street tires are wearing evenly.

2. Is it a good idea to change out the large bolts once in a while. I am starting to swap rotors for track/street.

3. How about wheel lug nuts .... do they last forever ??

DH
Old 11-28-2009, 01:34 AM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

1. Hmm...what does the manufacturere suggest for front camber?

2. Caliper bracket bolts? Maybe once per year. Like any nut or bolt, sooner if they offer any resistance when threading by hand.

3. No. Keep some spares with you and toss the old ones as soon as they give you any resistance when taking off or putting on. If you can't thread them by hand, toss them.

And going to ARP studs would not be a bad idea.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:51 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bimota Guy
1. Hmm...what does the manufacturere suggest for front camber?

2. Caliper bracket bolts? Maybe once per year. Like any nut or bolt, sooner if they offer any resistance when threading by hand.

3. No. Keep some spares with you and toss the old ones as soon as they give you any resistance when taking off or putting on. If you can't thread them by hand, toss them.

And going to ARP studs would not be a bad idea.
Steve

I guess I should check on the camber recommedation for the CUPS .... I assumed it was at least 1.5 and that the outer edges would wear more. I was surprized when I saw the inside wear after ACS. I'm not an expert (thats why I am asking) but more pressure would give less wear on the inside or not ???

Thanks for the caliper/lug advise. I didn't know this. My lugs hand thread easily. But the caliper bolts do not. Some of that may be the difficulty in holding the caliper and rotor in place while hand threading. They go in with a little pressure with a short ratchet. I will order some new ones. Hope the threads in the caliper dont go bad

DH
Old 11-30-2009, 09:11 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been running the same caliper bolts for 2+ years on my C6Z, no issues. Ran my C5 bolts for 6-7 years.

Still have original studs after literally hundred(s) of wheel changes. Just don't change wheels or torque the bolts when they are hot. I broke a few on my C5 when I would torque them while hot, once I stopped doing this...no problems.

Are your MSCP's a diffferent size than stock? The allignment may be based on your OEM tires, but not translating to your track tires. I get my car alligned WITH my track tires vs. using the street tires.

Also switch around your tires long before this happens, pay close attention to the wear bars and de-mount them and turn them backwards (if possible).
Old 11-30-2009, 11:02 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your toe set is really zero...
...did you have your wheel alignment done with the MPSC or your stock tires and rims?
Could the offset be different on your track tires? Maybe not as much positive offset? This would cause more neg camber.

Bottom line is, if you are wearing the inside edges and your toe is okay, your tie rods and bearings are in good shape, then you are running too much negative camber for the way that you drive.

I would suggest that you check your camber and toe settings with your track stuff on the car.

Do you know what your tire temps are when you come off of the track?
Old 11-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Been running the same caliper bolts for 2+ years on my C6Z, no issues. Ran my C5 bolts for 6-7 years.

Still have original studs after literally hundred(s) of wheel changes. Just don't change wheels or torque the bolts when they are hot. I broke a few on my C5 when I would torque them while hot, once I stopped doing this...no problems.

Are your MSCP's a diffferent size than stock? The allignment may be based on your OEM tires, but not translating to your track tires. I get my car alligned WITH my track tires vs. using the street tires.

Also switch around your tires long before this happens, pay close attention to the wear bars and de-mount them and turn them backwards (if possible).
The CUPS are left and right unlike Hoosiers. But I am considering giving Michelin a phone call and see what they say about flipping them.

DH
Old 11-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C5stein
If your toe set is really zero...
...did you have your wheel alignment done with the MPSC or your stock tires and rims?
Could the offset be different on your track tires? Maybe not as much positive offset? This would cause more neg camber.

Bottom line is, if you are wearing the inside edges and your toe is okay, your tie rods and bearings are in good shape, then you are running too much negative camber for the way that you drive.

I would suggest that you check your camber and toe settings with your track stuff on the car.

Do you know what your tire temps are when you come off of the track?
I have stock C6Z06 wheels for street and track

Street = NT05 285x35x18 which is wearing evenly

Track = MPSC 285x30x18 which was wearing on outside slightly as one would expect but all of a sudden I see the inside wear. But like I said I droped the tire pressure. I don't monitor tire temps.

DH

Get notified of new replies

To 3 Questions on MY C6Z06

Quick Reply: 3 Questions on MY C6Z06