Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any road racers or autox-ers with carbed setup here?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Sliding
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Any road racers or autox-ers with carbed setup here?

I still haven't decided if my new engine combo will be EFI or carb
so I'm gathering as many infos and opinions as possible.

So, as title says it, does any of you race with carbed engine
and if you do, what carb do you use?
Are you satisfied with it? What are pros and cons?
Old 11-28-2009, 12:01 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a carbed 383ci LT-4 ~480 crank hp

It has a Quick Fuel- Wedge Float road race carburator #Q-750-CT

The only problem I have is a little bit of break-up at the point at part throttle right where the primary jets are maxed but before the secondaries come on. It is a little hard to describe, but it isn't a big deal. I love not having to worry about computers etc. Also, without a choke it takes it a few minutes before it warms up and wants to idle. Would be annoying on a daily driver, but no biggie on the track car. I'm sure there are some, but I can't think of any cons other than it costing you modification points depending on what series you are wanting to race with.

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 11-28-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Tom03Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, Barry Grant makes a Road Race Carb.
http://www.jegs.com/p/Barry-Grant/De...62590/10002/-1
Old 11-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

I'm using a Berrry Grant 650 mech. secondary for HPDE's. The only issue I have ran into is (I think) using a carb without the wedge shaped road racing floats. Last time out, I started to have a fuel starvation issue coming out of the corners. I'm now in the process of switching over to the road racing style of floats that should eliminate this.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:32 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've used both a demon and a C&S. Both built for road racing, and both worked very well.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:55 AM
Sliding
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. It looks that I'll go with RR setup carb. My car is also street driven,
but not much. Maybe 3tkm/year. Doy ou think that road race preped carb could
cause problems for street driving?
Old 11-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Some race carbs come with a 1:1 linkage so all 4 barrels open simutaniously instead of progressional like street carbs. If this causes a problem you probably could switch the linkage though, since it is externally mounted.

Other than that, some race carbs don't use a "power valve" or at least ones with reduced flow orifices in the metering block. This results in using larger main jets and could result in lower MPG if you care about that due to the car running richer at non-WOT conditions.

Hopefully some carb experts will jump in here, but I think its all just tuning issues that could be worked around for the street.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:54 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jason Staley
Some race carbs come with a 1:1 linkage so all 4 barrels open simutaniously instead of progressional like street carbs. If this causes a problem you probably could switch the linkage though, since it is externally mounted.

Other than that, some race carbs don't use a "power valve" or at least ones with reduced flow orifices in the metering block. This results in using larger main jets and could result in lower MPG if you care about that due to the car running richer at non-WOT conditions.

Hopefully some carb experts will jump in here, but I think its all just tuning issues that could be worked around for the street.
I have driven mine on the street pretty often to test parts, cruise-ins, etc. The only problems I have noticed for regular street driving is not wanting to idle until warm, and horrendous gas mileage. But it is a 383 with a pretty big cam so I don't think the blame goes 100% to the carb in either of those cases.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redls1gto
I have a carbed 383ci LT-4 ~480 crank hp

It has a Quick Fuel- Wedge Float road race carburator #Q-750-CT

The only problem I have is a little bit of break-up at the point at part throttle right where the primary jets are maxed but before the secondaries come on.
Bryan, that carb was built for that specific motor build. Here are 6 questions the carb builder asked when we had the carb built.

1) Bore and stroke.
2) Cam specs.
3) Dual or single plane intake.
4) Flow #'s for the heads.
5) Octane.
6) % full vs. part throttle. (It's set up to perform well at full throttle )

Old 11-29-2009, 05:06 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by Shrek
Bryan, that carb was built for that specific motor build. Here are 6 questions the carb builder asked when we had the carb built.

1) Bore and stroke.
2) Cam specs.
3) Dual or single plane intake.
4) Flow #'s for the heads.
5) Octane.
6) % full vs. part throttle. (It's set up to perform well at full throttle )

Was hoping you were paying attention! Whoever built it did a pretty fantastic job as far as I'm concerned. I've gotten to the point that I hit that break-up spot about once or twice at most in a 30 minute session. Even then it's no big deal.

As for question 5, what did you usually run in it? What I put in at the track so far has been dependent on how my wallet was feeling that day.

Who did the carb? Was it done by Abacus as well? I learn something new about that car about every time I look at it.

Did you see the video I put up on here? Do you miss being behind the wheel yet??

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 11-29-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redls1gto
Was hoping you were paying attention! Whoever built it did a pretty fantastic job as far as I'm concerned. I've gotten to the point that I hit that break-up spot about once or twice at most in a 30 minute session. Even then it's no big deal.

As for question 5, what did you usually run in it? 104 unleaded What I put in at the track so far has been dependent on how my wallet was feeling that day. We ran 93-UN, 104-UN, and 110-L through it on the engine dyno with very little change in HP.

Who did the carb? Check the receipt Was it done by Abacus as well? They ordered it I learn something new about that car about every time I look at it.

Did you see the video I put up on here? COOL Do you miss being behind the wheel yet?? The wife does, and has just recently started talking about another low budget racer like the 89 we started with.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel injection is a wonderful thing.

Current race fleet =
carbed Red Sled (Holley double pumper by Baker Carbs in NC)
carbed 240Z ("Italian fuel injection"...aka Webers)
FI Spec Miata
FI Le Plastique Pig

Carbs are "almost right, most of the time", the rest of the time it's "screwed up".

FI is "always right, all of the time".

My friend Mad Mike once put it this way, as we were dragging a carbed ice race car around a frozen lake, trying to get it to start on a cold (-5 deg. F, IIRC) morning:

"Carbs ? Who needs ANOTHER hobby ?".

Get notified of new replies

To Any road racers or autox-ers with carbed setup here?

Quick Reply: Any road racers or autox-ers with carbed setup here?