Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WARNING Z06 axle shaft from O'Reilly Auto Parts

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 06:45 AM
Hazman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARNING Z06 axle shaft from O'Reilly Auto Parts

Just wanted to pass along my experience/nightmare with replacement axle shafts from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

It all begins with me doing something stupid and damaging a boot on the stock right rear axle shaft. Called around and O'Reilly has a remanufactured one in stock so I go pick it up and install it.

Haul the car to Barber and the second session of the weekend the outer boot starts throwing grease. So I get the car home and remove the offending axle shaft. Cleaned it up and could not find where the grease is coming from. I took it back to O'Reilly and they replaced it under warranty. Install the second O'Reilly axle shaft. Checked clearance and made sure nothing was hitting the boot.

Haul the car to NJMP and the second session of the weekend the outer boot starts throwing grease. So I get the car home and remove the offending axle shaft. Cleaned it up and found a 1/4 inch split in the boot where the grease is coming from. I took it back to O'Reilly and they replaced it under warranty. Install the third O'Reilly axle shaft. Checked clearance and made sure nothing was hitting the boot.

Haul the car to VIR the second session of the weekend my wife nearly kisses the wall in turn three. Looking at the video starting in turn two anytime she tries to turn left the car just starts to rotate. She does a good job finally of looping it and coming to a stop in the grass. When she comes in and we look under the car the inner band clamp on the inner boot on the O'Reilly axle shaft has slipped off. The flopping boot has collected the right side brake line and wiring harness and wrapped them around the axle shaft!

OK so now I am really going nuts with this. I have checked all the clearances, diff mount, hub, everything I could think of. I also had some others more knowledgeable in Corvettes look it over and we are all stumped. So I but a GM axle shaft from a Z06 being parted out by a friend. I installed it and have now had two great track weekends in a row with no axle shaft issues.

Comparing the boots on the O'Reilly axle shaft with the GM the difference in the stiffness of the rubber is amazing. The O'Reilly boot you can easily squeeze it from both sides all the way into the shaft. The GM boot you cannot do this too. Also the GM boot has a distinct V shape to the folds where the O'Reilly has more of a U shape.

I did talk the third shaft back to O'Reilly and showed them a GM shaft also. They gave me a full refund and apologized. The store manager wrote a report up and sent it in with the third shaft. Maybe they will change vendors or get a better boot on their replacements. I will never know because it is only GM for me now on these!
Old 11-29-2009, 07:39 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Default I had the Same Problem with NAPA Reman Axles

I had the exact same problem with a set of NAPA reman axles. Mine happened at 145mph going into NASCAR turn 1 at Pocono, with a passenger next to me. Fortunatley I was only at about 70%. But the guy behind me thought it was going to be all over for him and me.
When the boot exploded the grease shower covered his windshield.

Anyway, here's what is happening. When they make the axle and then put the boots on they are supposed to bleed the air and vapor out before they seal it, they also use wrong/cheap grease. On the street it's no big deal because we don't get the U-joint that hot and it doesn't see the loads that we apply at the track. At the track, when the grease gets hot its like boiling water the moisture and grease start to expand and the bellow blows up like a balloon. When it gets big enough it hits something and ruins your day!

The differences in the boot's are just from all the heat and it blowing up like a balloon. I'm would bet they use a cheaper rubber.

I learned all of this from Joe at Phoenix. I bought 2 reman axles from him, they rebuild them at their shop.
I bought one to replace the NAPA and a spare. Haven't had a problem in 35 track days!

Lesson learned: Don't buy critical parts for a track car from any "Big box parts store". If OEM held up and worked for you to this point do it again....OR find someone who makes a better one and use that, chances are they make a better one because they had the same problem!

Last edited by geerookie; 11-29-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:49 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you forgot the haul to Roebling and loosing a boot
Old 11-29-2009, 10:02 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Gm sells a rebuid kit, just do it yourself
Old 11-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Hazman
Racer

Originally Posted by geerookie
The differences in the boot's are just from all the heat and it blowing up like a balloon. I'm would bet they use a cheaper rubber.
Actually if you look at the reman boots vs. the GM boots even before they are installed you can tell the difference. As for the cheaper rubber I totally agree.

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Yes I know and I should have done that. I got lazy and thought WOW for the price of a GM boot kit I can have a complete axle shaft and no rebuild work for me.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:09 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd like to know how. I cut an outer boot at Barber this year (duct tape saved the weekend) and replaced the axle. How in the heck are you supposed to get the new boot on there?
Old 11-29-2009, 09:14 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 11-30-2009, 06:10 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sperkins
I'd like to know how. I cut an outer boot at Barber this year (duct tape saved the weekend) and replaced the axle. How in the heck are you supposed to get the new boot on there?
Having done it once - I went with a new axle on my Porsche the second time. Looking at the Vette halfshaft it is not apparent how it fits together...
Old 11-30-2009, 06:39 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I tried that once. Then I went and bought a new axle.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:26 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How are these boots/axles getting damaged in HPDE or service activity? I don't do many days but have not paid special attention to the area. I take it you know you are in trouble when you see grease?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:53 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Then my camera goes dead, on a Sunday there is nothing open around here.

Throw away towels are the best for this job.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:16 PM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice photos, So you just need to use a big enough hammer.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:35 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by beerkat
Nice photos, So you just need to use a big enough hammer.
BFH and lots of grease....
Old 11-30-2009, 06:36 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I love that hammer to death. It's good at moving things. I would rather hit something once and get it to move then 10 times without moving anything. You don't have to hit the CV joint that hard to get it off the c-clip.

I used to do two CV-joints inners and outers after everyday with my icerace car. Yep that's right in the hotel bathroom, pull apart, clean, inspect, repack greese and put back in the car. I had some cage issues that would cause huge problems, and finally killed the car (tried to kill me too)

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To WARNING Z06 axle shaft from O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply: WARNING Z06 axle shaft from O'Reilly Auto Parts