Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Art of Drivers Ed in the Rain

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 05:45 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default The Art of Drivers Ed in the Rain

Turn One at CMP really should have charged more for the wet track day on 23 November. Getting a wet skid pad normally costs more but a wet track comes at no additional charge. It is one of the best deals in Motorsports. Think about it for a minute since there are lots of advantages to a wet track day. The track density is normally low since many people cancel at the hint of precipitation, the evaporative cooling effects are fantastic on the equipment, the advantage of stickered tires is diminished, brake wear is minimized and the learning opportunities are nearly endless. A wet track provides immediate feedback on steering, braking and throttle inputs at a much lower speed. If the importance of smoothness to a student driver cannot be learned on a wet track then, most likely, other sports beckon. The vital importance of little corrections of input becomes apparent when the track is wet and grip is tenuous. If by overexuberance of throttle or steering input the car does slide, or spin, the speeds are typically slow and very easy to manage. The physics defying phenomenon of "wet grass acceleration" can also be demonstrated as required to advanced (or ham fisted) students. The advantages are many and while the downsides are few they can be significant. A wet track changes on almost every lap so what was "safe" on the last lap may be "both feet in" on the next lap, the line varies as the puddles and streams grow (or shrink), and other cars on track can be a lethal weapon if driven poorly.

The Monday weather was almost perfect with a well soaked track kept wet with steady showers interspersed with bands of heavy rain until about 1300 when it started to dry. By 1430 the track was dry and starting to rubber in quite nicely. My first time DE student in a 2009 BMW M3 had great progression from the wet conditions requiring gentle inputs to the afternoon where he could let the dual clutch BMW V8 open up. There is no way his progression would have been as fast on a dry track. The importance of keeping the car settled and balanced was firmly rooted during the wet sessions and his speed in the afternoon was directly related. Josh's student in a 725 horsepower Super Snake GT500 decided after one session in the wet, being a local Palmetto Motorsports Club member, he would take it home. The supercharged horsepower made throttle modulation "sporty" and while he never really lost control he did get crossed up a few times. At least it did not overheat and the brakes never faded. Those cars could use a "valet switch" like the ZR1s had at one time.

Quite a few of the track regulars made it out and Kim returned to the scene of his "incident" for the first time in his C5Z almost a year later. He even managed to stay on track all day. Over the weekend Josh and I were having a hard time working up the energy to unload the Mustang and load up the C5 FRC. We bled the brakes and did the tech inspection but we were really tempted to just drive the car over on the tired RA1s on the car. But we decided it was safer to load it up with the added benefit of all our "stuff" already in the trailer. It was one of our better decisions. Josh was having a blast in the wet with the car (I did mention T3 and he had no excuse I would accept on any "contact") and I did my best to concentrate on other things. The car was sounding great as it went by and the rooster tails were impressive as he gave rides to track workers and anyone else who was silly enough to get in the car with him. I was finally able to wrest it away from him to give my student a ride and it was great. the traction was minimal so demonstration of how important a little throttle modulation and a little steering input to car control was priceless. The ability for a modern ABS equipped car to slow down, even in very wet conditions, was also easily demonstrated. I was really wishing I had nabbed Mike's Hoosier wets from his trailer though. What can I say, we like to go fast.

After lunch, provided by Patches, Josh took the car out when the track was semi dry. About halfway through the session the "low oil light" came on and as he checked for smoke, oil pressure, oil temp, water temp and leaking oil behind the car he pulled off line and since everything looked good he limped it into the paddock. With an oil cooler, and recent check of the oil level, this caused us some concern since we have to lose a lot of oil to hit this indicator. We started checking the car out - dipstick in fact showed low with no "froth", there was no apparent oil leak, the back of the car had its normal "specks", the radiator surge tank had overflowed a bit, there was some limited "chocolate milk" on the oil cap (never a good sign but since it was so wet and humid not necessarily fatal), and there was no oil apparent in the coolant. Then we decided to check the oil catch can. The good news it had maybe a teaspoon of oil but the bad news the rest of it was antifreeze mix and that is never a good sign. We were able to load the car up with no problems. At best we have a blown head gasket but it could be a cracked block or head - only a teardown can tell. Looking at the bright side I may be able to add to my LS motor part collection.

We did pull the engine out of Mike's C5Z donor car and prep his car for the event at Road Atlanta next weekend but put off pulling the FRC engine till next weekend, at least. It will need to be ready for the Chin event at Sebring NewYears weekend. Maybe Santa will bring me a lift.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:57 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
Maybe Santa will bring me a lift.
you can motor swap thrash here if you want

it's a pain in the butt even with a lift
Old 12-02-2009, 06:04 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by drivinhard
you can motor swap thrash here if you want

it's a pain in the butt even with a lift
I did it with a jack and blocks of wood last time

I am very tempted....thanks!
Old 12-02-2009, 06:10 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez, makes me wish for rain and regret I have 8 Yokohama slicks! Good luck on the oil leak repair.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:11 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Couldn't agree with you more on the benefits of DE in the wet. Like it or not since I left Jacksonville (with only one wet track day in memory), I've had more than my fair share this year. 3/3 days in the pouring rain at VIR in March, 2/3 days at Watkin's Glen in June, & 3/3 at NJMP in October.

Rain simulates speed and as you said with a somwhat lowered risk of consequence (although I know a few people at the events above who might argue that point).

Driving a Corvette with wide slick tires in the rain was challenging but I can definitely say I'm a better driver for doing it as much as I complained at the time. (Especially as I was being passed by some kid in a subie with street tires on) But frankly after paying ~$400-600 bucks for a 3-day DE I'm not going to sit in the paddock and just watch or heaven forbid not even go.

I will say after seeing multiple crashes most recently at NJMP, I did decide discretion was the better part of valor and put her on the trailer, but at the other events I got my money's worth and then some!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:42 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by V8 Juice
Geez, makes me wish for rain and regret I have 8 Yokohama slicks! Good luck on the oil leak repair.
But you have perfected your jacking technique

I fear the engine has an internal issue...but I will pop the heads off first.

If I was RAFTRACER I would not do it until the morning of the event....
Old 12-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by varkwso

If I was RAFTRACER I would not do it until the morning of the event....
SpecE30 style, in the paddock.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:23 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jason
SpecE30 style, in the paddock.
I brought a broken car to an event, once - it &ucked fixing it in the paddock around students...
Old 12-02-2009, 09:05 PM
m3bs
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So VIR in the snow this weekend should be worth even more!
Old 12-02-2009, 10:55 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Great write-up Jeff. I agree 110% with your thoughtfully worded assessment of the benefits of rain driving.

Only time I ran CMP it rained all day Saturday and I got to qualify on the overall pole for a change. Of course, it was dry for the start so the GT1 guys went by me pretty quick.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:18 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Same story at VIR Monday......lots of folks left, those that remained learned a lot.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:23 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

The most I ever learned in one track day was a cold a wet one at Rd Atl with CHIN. Though it's educational, I'm not really looking forward to that again this weekend.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:11 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by m3bs
So VIR in the snow this weekend should be worth even more!
If it was me I would leave the R compunds (and maybe even the 3 season tires) on the trailer on a snow day though.

Get notified of new replies

To The Art of Drivers Ed in the Rain

Quick Reply: The Art of Drivers Ed in the Rain