Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel questions....

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 07:04 PM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default wheel questions....

I am new to vette's, just got a 00 frc to be my weekend/fun/roadtrip and track car. I have done some track stuff, 2 days..lol.. Ideally I would like to do 4-5 track days a year, but this depends on time and money. SO street use would be higher than track for the next 2-3 years easy.

Anyway, I am looking at a set of wheels. These wheels will do both street and track. I understand many people don't like repro's for track, some do. As I am on a limited budget, I am trying to find if anyone is running repro's on the track with good or bad experience? Like a LW&T or similar is the wheels I am looking at. Ideally I would have 2 sets of rims, but for now, the budget does not allow it.

And FWIW, I am looking at 18x9.5 all around with 265 F and 285 R. I don't have active handling, but from the threads I have read I could still have TC issues with a square setup, so this gets me close, but maintains some diameter difference front to rear.

If this appears to be a bad idea I would happily listen to other suggestions

TIA
Old 12-02-2009, 07:39 PM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Most will say to stay away from repros because they are heavy and to stick with OEM wheels. Speedline Z06 wheels can be run square with the fronts (17x9.5) or rears(18x10.5) and are pretty easy to find on here especially the fronts.

The cheapest wheels are wagon wheels and you could run the rears (18x9.5) square if you don't mind the look. I got a set for under $100 and painted them black.

Do a search in this Forum for Speedline and you will find a bunch of info.

Last edited by The Panther; 12-02-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:21 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a square setup. No traction control issues. Same PCM and EBC as your car.
I have 4 18x9.5 wagon wheels with 285/18 Nitto NT-05's that I have run.
I have 18x10.5 now with 660/295-18's Dunlops I run now.
The wagon wheels with Nittos are for sale. about 50% tread left.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:49 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think sperkins and jason were looking to unload some 17x9.5" Z06 wheels this weekend at RA. check one of the RA threads and PM them, you could come pick them up being local

you can run them square (I have never had TC issues with square), 275/40/17 fits nicely, and that's a hugely popular size for scrubs, and you can get nitto 555R2's in that size brand new for like $179 from discount tire.

I'd buy used OEM Z06 wheels before I'd buy repro's, the difference in weight is huge.

18x10.5" rear Z06 wheels are also an option, but you'll pay more.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:45 PM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pharma-c6
Most will say to stay away from repros because they are heavy and to stick with OEM wheels. Speedline Z06 wheels can be run square with the fronts (17x9.5) or rears(18x10.5) and are pretty easy to find on here especially the fronts.

The cheapest wheels are wagon wheels and you could run the rears (18x9.5) square if you don't mind the look. I got a set for under $100 and painted them black.

Do a search in this Forum for Speedline and you will find a bunch of info.
Ok, thanks for the info!

And I want the wheels that I drive around on to look good.. I know.. I am a pretty b*tch! LMAO.... I know... track wheels don't need to be pretty though.

Originally Posted by geerookie
I run a square setup. No traction control issues. Same PCM and EBC as your car.
I have 4 18x9.5 wagon wheels with 285/18 Nitto NT-05's that I have run.
I have 18x10.5 now with 660/295-18's Dunlops I run now.
The wagon wheels with Nittos are for sale. about 50% tread left.
Really? Was this track or street or both?

And I sent you a pm bout the wheels...

Thanks

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I think sperkins and jason were looking to unload some 17x9.5" Z06 wheels this weekend at RA. check one of the RA threads and PM them, you could come pick them up being local

you can run them square (I have never had TC issues with square), 275/40/17 fits nicely, and that's a hugely popular size for scrubs, and you can get nitto 555R2's in that size brand new for like $179 from discount tire.

I'd buy used OEM Z06 wheels before I'd buy repro's, the difference in weight is huge.

18x10.5" rear Z06 wheels are also an option, but you'll pay more.
Well that could be an option... and thanks for the info... I will go find that thread. And I am not sure I want an R comp tire for HPDE's.. I would rather learn on a street tire with good grip.

I know I have read several threads about people having TC issues when pushing the car in the curves when square.

But, again, thanks for the input.

Get notified of new replies

To wheel questions....

Quick Reply: wheel questions....