Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Private or Low Volume Track Time Available

Old 12-04-2009, 10:04 AM
indyspeed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Private or Low Volume Track Time Available

What do people do if they aren't interested in doing a HPDE with a bunch of other drivers? In other words, if you want to do drive your own car faster than legal speeds allow and you don't want to have to put numbers on the car, drive with the window(s) down, drive in high speed traffic, and etc., are there any options? Is there a place where you can go out with just a few cars or just you and drive as fast you want? Obviously, I'm cool with getting a tech evaluation and/or wearing a helmet... Is there any such thing? Also, I don't have the cash resources to join one of those private clubs unless they have an initial fee of say $5000 or less...
Old 12-04-2009, 10:14 AM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Become good car friends with a 'vette guy that's a member at one of those tracks? Most memberships have guest allowances.

There's really not that many other options that exist bar a racing school or low head count HPDE occurrences.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:15 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by indyspeed
What do people do if they aren't interested in doing a HPDE with a bunch of other drivers? In other words, if you want to do drive your own car faster than legal speeds allow and you don't want to have to put numbers on the car, drive with the window(s) down, drive in high speed traffic, and etc., are there any options? Is there a place where you can go out with just a few cars or just you and drive as fast you want? Obviously, I'm cool with getting a tech evaluation and/or wearing a helmet... Is there any such thing? Also, I don't have the cash resources to join one of those private clubs unless they have an initial fee of say $5000 or less...
Not really. I had an indy car experience at Cal Speedway years ago in which there were only a few cars let on the track at a time. They provided the cars obviously.

You want to do that with your own car? BSR at Summit point Wva offers seat time. I've never been but I think it's much less crowded than an HPDE. You have to qualify through BSR's FATT program which is going to take you a few friday only HPDE's. And you will be on track with Black / Red group type drivers, driving your car solo. The cars will be fast on race rubber.

Other than that--you can try Chin? or WNeal here has a nice organization that is just starting--again I've never been but I think these are the best choices for max track time once you are solo.

At an ordinary HPDE you many get a session or two on day 2 or 3 if it is the last session at the end of the event where everything is pretty clear. This is especially true if the host club is from waaaaaaay out of state. They want to leave early for the long drive.

I live for the last session I hate when it gets shortened
Old 12-04-2009, 10:18 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Most ppl do Track Days or HPDEs.

There are some clubs or events, which are really Open track time. But you have to earn your way into those faster groups.

May be a challenge for doing what you are looking for. OPEN track time with few drivers is possible, but expensive.

Tracks are expensive to rent. Putnam Park 50 miles west of Indy may run you $2500 / day. Do they rent to just anyone? IIRC not really. Need to be an organization that has prior track or racing experience.

A big part of track time is Liability, personal responsibility, training and safety

Most ppl who just want to go out with no rules, and go as fast as they can, Crash, spin out too many times and get kicked out of the track.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 12-04-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:37 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are your problems with HPDE ???? I know all seem to have some issues.......It is nearly impossible for a HPDE to meet the exact needs of everybody....

You are in the right quadrant to participate in 10/10ths Motorsports events......It is a HPDE format, but 10/10ths tries to do things somewhat differently.

Give it a try , I think that you would enjoy it over conventional HPDE's

www.1010thsmotorsports.com
Old 12-04-2009, 10:51 AM
indyspeed
Instructor

I don't really have a problem with HPDE per se. I think it would be fun, but I have no intention of damaging my vehicle in the process or becoming a track junkie. I did take a driving course at Spring Mountain, and that was a blast. In fact, I have signed up to return, and I get to use *their* cars which is nice. I would just like the opportunity (if possible) to stretch the legs of my own vehicle without the pressures of not being fast enough for the track junkies and being ran over or being stuck behind those that don't know how to drive their car. In addition, I really have no desire to stick thinks to my vehicle, listen to wind noise the whole time, or have to worry about rocks and etc hitting my car while in high speed traffic. The BSR thing that someone suggested sounds interesting... Also, track time at $2500 to rent is expensive, but I could swing that from time to time. So, if there are any options like that please let me know.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:03 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Start here

Old 12-04-2009, 11:07 AM
billy25us
Racer

I don't really have a problem with HPDE per se. I think it would be fun, but I have no intention of damaging my vehicle in the process or becoming a track junkie. I did take a driving course at Spring Mountain, and that was a blast. In fact, I have signed up to return, and I get to use *their* cars which is nice. I would just like the opportunity (if possible) to stretch the legs of my own vehicle without the pressures of not being fast enough for the track junkies and being ran over or being stuck behind those that don't know how to drive their car. In addition, I really have no desire to stick thinks to my vehicle, listen to wind noise the whole time, or have to worry about rocks and etc hitting my car while in high speed traffic. The BSR thing that someone suggested sounds interesting... Also, track time at $2500 to rent is expensive, but I could swing that from time to time. So, if there are any options like that please let me know.

If you are willing to spend 2500 bucks just to rent a track so there is no chance of damaging your car you may just want to stick with going to spring mtn. Same price and you do not have to worry. If you were closer to me for 2500 I would pay your entry fee at cmp with turnone and you can rent my car for a weekend.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:18 AM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
What are your problems with HPDE ???? I know all seem to have some issues.......It is nearly impossible for a HPDE to meet the exact needs of everybody....

You are in the right quadrant to participate in 10/10ths Motorsports events......It is a HPDE format, but 10/10ths tries to do things somewhat differently.

It's amazing how much you can quickly learn when you have good quality drivers around you.

Last edited by ssdeuce; 12-04-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:26 AM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My suggestion would be to rent a track and invite a few friends. I have never been on a track literally by myself, but I imagine it would be pretty lonely. Also, having a full day (7-8 hours) of track time is WAY more than you would want or need.

Most of us who organize events try to get 45-60 cars so the per person cost is reasonable keeping in mind that you won't always sell out. If you can find a few friends that don't mind paying $500-1000 per day to have a 5-10 car limit, do that. I know there are people doing that same thing today.

Ken
Old 12-04-2009, 11:26 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope the OP can join us @ a 10/10ths event sometime ......but it sounds to me like he needs a dedicated track car so that he doesn't worry as much about the car and its finish. I understand if that is the case completely, because unless you are the only car on the track , the front of your car is getting showered with all sorts or track debris....
Old 12-04-2009, 11:38 AM
bluemagoo
Pro

Colorado's a bit of a truck from Indiana, but here's what recently opened High Plains Raceway (about 50 miles east of Denver) offers (usually midweek) that might be along the lines of what you're seeking.

http://www.highplainsraceway.com/pdf...e-Policies.pdf
Old 12-04-2009, 11:39 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bb69
My suggestion would be to rent a track and invite a few friends. I have never been on a track literally by myself, but I imagine it would be pretty lonely. Also, having a full day (7-8 hours) of track time is WAY more than you would want or need.
Most tracks will rent to a group for Open Test and tune. Normal requirements are that each car be a fully prepped and log booked race car and each driver have a current racing lic.

Max 10 cars. down side is No corner workers or EV it needed.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:55 AM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Most tracks will rent to a group for Open Test and tune. Normal requirements are that each car be a fully prepped and log booked race car and each driver have a current racing lic.

Max 10 cars. down side is No corner workers or EV it needed.

That's not been my experience renting tracks. I have been doing it for 6 years at tracks in Michigan and Canada. The only real requirement they have is that you purchase insurance for the day. The insurance policies are pretty open. Other than that, it's basic safety things like no leaking oil. I think most people would be very surprised at how little many tracks specify.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:57 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
I hope the OP can join us @ a 10/10ths event sometime ......but it sounds to me like he needs a dedicated track car so that he doesn't worry as much about the car and its finish. I understand if that is the case completely, because unless you are the only car on the track , the front of your car is getting showered with all sorts or track debris....
I agree. If you are solo and avoid the slower cars you end up in a fast group of cars on slicks that will be throwing things at your finish. You can't have it both ways.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:17 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too. It can be done but the cake is going to be damn expensive.

If you haven't actually done an HPDE yet, just that spring mountian school, I wouldn't pass judgement so quickly until you've tried it at least once. ALmost 100% of the people who attend have the same mindset of not damaging their cars or holding up traffic that you expressed.

Also keep in mind that its not a race, but an environment to safely explore the limits of your car and your driving ability. Nobody is concerned with how fast you are or aren't going, they're just concerend with what they're doing out there, so don't get wrapped up in the who's faster then who crap cause there will ALWAYS be someone faster or slower then you!

if you're fast you can stage in the front of the pack at an HPDE and you should not see traffic until you start to lap the field. Depending on the size of the track that might not even happen. For me, getting around traffic is part of the enjoyment of doing an HPDE. SO is running with other, faster cars and playing cat n mouse. With nobody else out there its kinda boring.

You can tape your front end up if you're worried about paint damage. honestly I don't even bother to tape my car up anymore, I've gotten more rock chips driving on the highway then at an HPDE. You will get rubber on your car but that wipes right off with some quick detailer.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:55 PM
indyspeed
Instructor

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Again, I agree that the HPDE events would be fun, but I don't have backup cars so I don't want to ruin the only one I have. Maybe later... I'll be in the process of building a large garage hopefully in a few years and that might change. I was leaning towards just continuing to do the Spring Mountain thing every two to three years, but if I could find a track that I could rent privately on occasion that has an especially long straight that would be fun. At Spring Mountain during their three day course, you are running on their training track configuration which is great and very educational, but their back straight only allows you to get a Z51 or their Z06 up to around 125mph before you start running out of real estate. Still very very fun, but I think it would be fun to stretch the legs of my own vehicle legally... If anyone has any additional suggestions, let me know. I do appreciate everyone's feedback!!

Get notified of new replies

To Private or Low Volume Track Time Available

Old 12-04-2009, 01:20 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

When your really ready, 10/10ths and Danny will show you MORE FUN then you can imagine.

Anyone can go fast in a straight line, going fast around controlled coroners takes REAL skill
Old 12-04-2009, 01:28 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think you would have a problem rounding up four other guys that would be willing to pay $500 to have a track to themselves for an entire day (check the local Porsche clubs or performance car dealerships). You could run 1-2 car 20 minute sessions and with your budget, you could do it 8-10 times a year.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:35 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I agree with most everyone above.
I had the most fun my last event when I was on the track with a vette that was very equal to mine. We went back and forth the whole time and that was the absolute best time I had since I started doing HPDE about 5 years ago. It gets you jucies flowing when you are trying to catch somebody or just stay ahead of them.

You might want to check this event out.
http://roadamerica.fbody.us/ They run at Road America which is a 4 mile long course. Front and back staights in my slightly modded C5 I am pushing 140/150 depending if the wind is behind me As was mention above this course is long enough that you are pretty spread out and you don't tend to get to caught up in traffic to much. The attendance has been down at a lot of events cause of the economy so you do have quite as much traffic as there used to be.
Hope to see you there
Tim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Private or Low Volume Track Time Available