Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Atlanta Updates?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 11:07 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Default Road Atlanta Updates?

Rooting for my fellow Great Lakes Drivers Danny & James
Old 12-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Jaymz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I won the ST2 race and set a 1:32.4 in the race. There was a TT session right before the race so I ran in it and didn't make it to grid on time. There was a split start with AI/AIX/ST in front and GTS on the second wave. I was gridded behind all of the GTS cars. I had to pass all of them to make it up to the ST group. It was kinda crazy but a good learning experience. Maybe there shouldn't be TT sessions back to back with race goups???

I believe I won TTS as well but didn't see the final results sheet. I ran a 1:32.7 in TT on the last session. These times are from my incar data system and not official. Both times should be lap records for both classes.

This is the first time I have driven Road Atlanta and I like this track alot. There are a few blind corners and alot to learn but it's a good time. I will definately be back.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:20 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice driving to come from the back of the field to win. Hope you've got video you can post later.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:24 PM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tcmc5
Very nice driving to come from the back of the field to win. Hope you've got video you can post later.
Way to go James!
Old 12-06-2009, 07:56 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Jaymz
I won the ST2 race and set a 1:32.4 in the race. There was a TT session right before the race so I ran in it and didn't make it to grid on time. There was a split start with AI/AIX/ST in front and GTS on the second wave. I was gridded behind all of the GTS cars. I had to pass all of them to make it up to the ST group. It was kinda crazy but a good learning experience. Maybe there shouldn't be TT sessions back to back with race goups???

I believe I won TTS as well but didn't see the final results sheet. I ran a 1:32.7 in TT on the last session. These times are from my incar data system and not official. Both times should be lap records for both classes.

This is the first time I have driven Road Atlanta and I like this track alot. There are a few blind corners and alot to learn but it's a good time. I will definately be back.
Why to go, not that there was any doubt in my mind what would happen. Now starting in the back like that must have been a lot of fun and a lot of stress al in one but winning like that must just be awesome. Starting in the back makes for some great Video, I can't wait to see it.

Blue Corvettes should be feared though out the country.

Yeah it seems they aren't to friendly to those running TT and Racing, did they grid you guys on opposite sides of the race track?
Old 12-06-2009, 12:33 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TTS record now equals a 1:31.2........a significant drop from the previous record of 32.9....

Blue cars are lethal...........

Congrats James on the records, you are deserving for sure.

Can't wait till next year, both cars again going through the RAFT science lab for the winter....

Last edited by RAFTRACER; 12-06-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:14 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
TTS record now equals a 1:31.2........a significant drop from the previous 32.9....

Can't wait till next year, both cars again going through the RAFT science lab for the winter....
Yeah but Blue Cages are the stuff man
Old 12-06-2009, 02:34 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

TTS record now equals a 1:31.2........a significant drop from the previous record of 32.9....

James that is flying espically for your 1st time there, I think my best was a 2:05 or something

and the new TTU record is ..........
Old 12-06-2009, 03:39 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by L98Terror
James that is flying espically for your 1st time there, I think my best was a 2:05 or something

and the new TTU record is ..........
TTU and ST1 was safe this weekend......I never left to go...car was ready, wife was not....
Old 12-06-2009, 05:30 PM
fastrash
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

..........ahemmm.......3 blue cars....science lab...
Old 12-06-2009, 05:55 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

James - Looking at the final results for Saturday your best TTS time was 1:32.743
Only a TTU car was faster at 1:31.582

I'm still wimping out on turns but I did get a 1:58.827 on Sunday. Slowly getting the confidence back.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:07 PM
jackcasual
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats James. You are the man. I ran there twice in the 96 LT4. Wish I could remember my times, probably 8 or 9 minutes. Might have been faster if car was blue.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:09 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm going to brag for him because he would never himself. Jason Ireland in TTA (aka spec C5Z) laid down a (SCCA T1 record breaking!) 1:33.1 today, besting my 1:33.5 during the same session. Those laps we ran together were the most fun and intense I've ever done behind the wheel of a car. Had I known the sun would never break (I figured the 2 pm session would be the fastest with the weather predicted mostly sunny day) I would have pulled out the sticker A6's the session before.

Somehow we missed the call for the last TT session, I ran out there way late in the session, only to get a good lap going to try to answer Jason's 33.1 and ran out of gas coming off 10b! Both missing the call of the sesssion (and not paying attention to the clock/schedule) and running out of gas just about sums up my weekend though, with saturday only posting a time in the last session and had to battle through traffic like a madman to do so.

I had to pull the honker and put the stock box back on the 01 this weekend, going from the 275's to the 295's. Sperkins loaned me his stock box, down to the OEM paper filter. After running all season with the honker, it felt like it was breathing through a straw above 5 grand. The air temp today, and baro were perfect for making enormous power, but I think it was a tick on the cold side for optimal A6 grip, even with stickers. Direct sun on the track, and another 10 degrees ambient and I think we could have been dipping in the 32's.

What's really crazy is sperkins shows up with a zillion mile, recently purchased '99 FRC that's half thrown together and still leaving 13 pts on the table for TTA, and his best time today was 1.5 sec better than the track record was 2 days ago Such are the insane times dropping with insane sticky, sticker tires.

What a great hobby and what a great bunch to run/hang with.

Some race team needs to put Jason in a seat, because I think he's got huge talent.

Last edited by drivinhard; 12-06-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:30 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Man you TTA guys were rollin' STRONG.....congrats to both of you !!

I heard Reese ran a 1:26.xxx
Old 12-06-2009, 09:41 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats James and to the rest of you guys, thats flying.

Aaron
Old 12-06-2009, 10:04 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Man you TTA guys were rollin' STRONG.....congrats to both of you !!
Danny sorry you could not make it this weekend, I was looking forward to meeting you.

Yes it was a frenzied pace in TTA, and in my mild, solidifies the C5Z as just THE performance bargain of the world. While I have nothing against the C6Z and other faster versions of the vette, the C5Z is really, even at ~8 yrs "old", and absolutely fantastic piece of equipment. And at the current used price points, just a steal of a bargain for a supercar.

I could take 1.5 hr and throw the carpets and stock seats back in my 01, put on the street tires, and take my wife out to a fancy dinner in ATL and get 30 mpg getting down there, with a soft comfy/quiet ride with the factory rubber bushings and shocks/springs and quiet cruising OEM exhaust. Then bolt on some 295 Hoosier A6's and go run ~T1 times at a track like RA? I mean that's just a friggin' unreal piece of machinery.

I will have to lose the street friendly stock clutch, and cushy quiet bushings, in order to get some of those tenths back to Jason, and some more driver talent

What a car though.

Last edited by drivinhard; 12-06-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:01 AM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I'm glad we don't have to do that chit for 20-30min.
That's the closest I've ever come to just driving it straight into the wall off of T12.

Get notified of new replies

To Road Atlanta Updates?

Old 12-07-2009, 08:33 AM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats Jason! It sounds like great driving from you too drivinhard

Now add those cages and lets have some fun in PTA. You know you want to do it for 30-40 minutes...
Old 12-07-2009, 08:53 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mrc24x
You know you want to do it for 30-40 minutes...
if we did what we did sunday for 30 mins, we'd need 15 spare cars for the whole season.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:16 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

TTU and ST1 was safe this weekend......I never left to go...car was ready, wife was not....
I hear that, I had on a suit and tie Friday night at a charity dinner with my wife and her boss & am at Disney right now.

There was no justification for me to be at RA

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta Updates?