Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:12 PM
lyonsac4242
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Airbag Question

Hey guys,

Does anyone know (hopefully not by experience) if replacing the stocks seats on a 05 C6 LT3 with side airbags will also disable the front airbags too? I know the airbag light will come on and you will lose telescoping steering wheel unless you have the Pfadt harness.... Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks
Scott
Old 12-08-2009, 11:26 PM
no spin
Instructor

Each air bag has a seperate loop through the SDM. That being said the service manual states "The SDM provides continuous monitoring of the air bag circuits by conducting a sequence of checks. If a malfunction is detected the SDM wil store a dtc and request the IPC to turn the AIR BAG indicator ON. The presence of a SIR system malfunction could result in the non deployment of the air bags".

I haven't crashed my car yet so thats all the help I can be.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:58 AM
lyonsac4242
Instructor

Default thanks

thanks for your input
Old 12-09-2009, 09:07 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

All the bags are wired/sensored separately...so the side bags won't necessarily go off in a front collision...and vice versa. So, I'm 99% sure that disconnecting the seat would not affect the front bags.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:09 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is definately the big mystery, as much as we all want to know the real answer, hopefully we never need to find out.

My suggestion, don't run with non-stock seats on the street, and when you put your race seat in for the track, make sure you are held in place by 5/6 point just in case the airbag does not work. Plan for contingency, don't count on the airbags once you remove the seat.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:30 PM
lyonsac4242
Instructor

Default good points

Yeah, that is what I plan on doing. I just hate going from the race seat to the stock one. After being held in place at the track in my seat, going back to the stocker just sucks. Also, I do drive me car to the track... Good input, thanks
Old 12-09-2009, 04:46 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lyonsac4242
Yeah, that is what I plan on doing. I just hate going from the race seat to the stock one. After being held in place at the track in my seat, going back to the stocker just sucks. Also, I do drive me car to the track... Good input, thanks
You can buy a resistor that cancels the light through PDFAT, although they make no claim that it makes the airbag system function properly. So you could be paying $100 just to get rid of a light.

I tow, so I don't drive with race seat on the street, but I am curious as to what do you use for a seat belt on the street. I found it difficult if not imposible to get the seat belt connector disconnected from the seat base, as it also has an electrical connector.

I agree, it is a total mess, the C5 was MUCH easier in this aspect.

Get notified of new replies

To Airbag Question

Quick Reply: Airbag Question