Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Heel - Toe tips?

Old 01-09-2010, 09:31 PM
hapnermw
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One simple thing that no one has mentioned so far is to raise the steering wheel enough to make room for whatever leg technique you are using. Many drivers position the wheel to low ...
Old 01-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

So let's talk about left foot braking. I've played with this a little bit and understand how it would work in a car where you don't need a clutch to downshift.

However, how are you supposed to brake with your left foot and downshift in a normal MN6 car?

Last edited by Poor-sha; 01-10-2010 at 08:43 AM. Reason: type
Old 01-10-2010, 08:45 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
So let's talk about left foot braking. I've played with this a little bit and understand how it would work in a car where you don't need a clutch to downshift.

However, how are you supposed to brake with your left foot and downshift in a normal MN6 car?
It would be used in places where you aren't downshifting.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:18 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hapnermw
One simple thing that no one has mentioned so far is to raise the steering wheel enough to make room for whatever leg technique you are using. Many drivers position the wheel to low ...
An aftermarket steering wheel is a big help...but I had no issues with the stock wheel either.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Webz
Elite Throttle Pedal and SRG Brake Pedal. I mounted the SRG pedal thru the holes versus using the straps that came with it. That mounting method does tilt the pedal a couple of degrees but it gives me a greater sense of security. The pedal can still be adjusted closer to the throttle pedal by moving mounting screws to the left 1 more set of holes.

Webz:

Is this the Elite throttle or heel/toe pedal? I was told the throttle pedal did not have the extension to place it in line with the brake.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Corvee
Webz:

Is this the Elite throttle or heel/toe pedal? I was told the throttle pedal did not have the extension to place it in line with the brake.
Elite Std/Gas Pedal. Wider than OEM but not as wide as Heel/Toe.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:32 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the side of foot/ roll your leg method. It just takes a lot of practice, to get good at it. (Just like everything else) But then, I have 2 stainless steel screws in my ankle from racing bikes. If an old cripple can heel and toe, so can you.

On a track weekend, saturday I have think about shifting and the heel and side of foot. By sunday, I don't even think about it. It just comes to me.....................

Try it without the pedal gizmos, you can do it...........

Practice, practice, practice.

Last edited by 2K3Z06; 01-12-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i used to really suck at heel toe even with elite engineering pedal, but got better at it and now heel toe flawlessly at the track. if you decide to get the ee pedal make sure you use loctite on the pin because if you dont it will wiggle out after some time.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:40 AM
MatthewW
Intermediate

Bump for a useful thread
Old 09-20-2014, 01:24 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With me I have to be fully rested and alert.. I can blip the throttle no problem, but sometimes my left foot gets lazy (if im tired) (or I had too much sex, LOL) and I miss the blip! I need to remember to not be afraid and release that clutch pedal when the rpms are high and after putting it in gear... most of the time Im good, sometimes my left foot is too slow..
On track it just seems to happen easier at higher speed
practice and repetition makes perfect
Old 09-21-2014, 12:17 PM
jtmck
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha

Correct...

Going into the corner in the higher gear, left foot brake, as you release the brake, bring the gas up just like you were going to continue to exit in the higher gear.( At this point you are in the "balance area of the corner).

Move the left foot over, clutch in and out as you move the lever.
Because you were accelerating slightly, the rpm's go up and it sounds like a downshift in an automatic.

Difficulty learning seems to be bringing the rpm's up before the shift.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:30 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jtmck
Correct...

Going into the corner in the higher gear, left foot brake, as you release the brake, bring the gas up just like you were going to continue to exit in the higher gear.( At this point you are in the "balance area of the corner).

Move the left foot over, clutch in and out as you move the lever.
Because you were accelerating slightly, the rpm's go up and it sounds like a downshift in an automatic.

Difficulty learning seems to be bringing the rpm's up before the shift.
This is hilarious!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 Heel - Toe tips?