Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding Calipers, help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 05:19 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding Calipers, help needed

I'm rebuilding my rear calipers and thought I would be smart enough to handle the job with the instructions and little youtube vids I found. Well, guess not

First question, when I put the new bore seal in the bore groove, it just doesn't seem big enough. Sits down in the bottom, but the top will actually hang down out of the groove. I can see pushing the piston in without this seal being real snug. I ordered rebuild kit 12530686. What am I doing wrong here?

Not sure exactly how to get that cylinder boot into the bore so it stays there. I see one end of the boot has a lip that fits nicely into the piston by the open end. The other end of the boot has a flange on it and that confuses me. Does that flange need to be on the inside of the bore seal and always stay there while the rest of the boot expands and contricts with the piston. If so, how to get that in there with the piston at the same time. The video kind of makes more sense than the instruction in that I see the guy does not put the lip into its groove, but leaves the whole boot towards the closed end. It seems that maybe he gets that flange beyone the closed edge of the piston and feeds it inside the bore beyone the seal and then feed the piston in with the rest of the boot over it. I suppost as you push the piston in, the lip will work out towards the piston groove and eventually seat.

Little thinking out loud there.

Your expertise much appreciated.

Ken . . .

Last edited by kwhiteside; 12-12-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:59 PM
76LS1BIRD
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is how you do it. Lube all parts good with brake fluid or assy. lube.
It takes some time to get the hang of it.
Good luck Dale
Old 12-12-2009, 08:30 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

I'm pretty sure I've got the wrong kit. I compared the bore seals and the new ones are indeed smaller than the old ones.

Don't know how that can be as I got the numbers from the boards, then did a browse at the parts site to verify. Anybody know the correct kit number?
Old 12-12-2009, 09:28 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kwhiteside
I ordered rebuild kit 12530686. What am I doing wrong here?
That's for the C5 fronts
Old 12-13-2009, 11:18 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That is the wrong part number like said above. I will get the right one on monday for you.

Randy
Old 12-13-2009, 06:14 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Ya, I got the number from Ecklers, which is wrong. Looks like 12530687 is for the rears, but then I read Corvette Pilot says that 88967282 is for the rears. Dang, its hard enough figuring out how to do your own repairs, why does it have to be so hard to get the right part. I've already ordered the 12530687 kit and will be calling them Monday morning if they have a phone at GM Parts Direct (I left them a cust service message already). Crazy thing is that when you browse the catalog you don't get a part number and you don't get a good description saying front or rear. Just says overhaul kit. Good price though
Old 12-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

GM parts direct is a royal PITA. Call Gene Culley.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:48 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

12530687 Is the right number for 97-04 rears.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuilding Calipers, help needed

Quick Reply: Rebuilding Calipers, help needed