Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conversation with Hoosier Tech

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 05:53 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Conversation with Hoosier Tech

Being a new guy of only a year and a half, I've only run a stock set up except for brakes because I wanted to invest in my driving and not throw money into mods before I reached the maximum of what I can due with a stock set up. Well it's time to step up to Hoosier R6. I contacted Hoosier and learned a few things.
1) Buying tires that are heat cycled is OK but they prefer that the tires be broken in on the track. You need the weight of the car and the real road. I know it's time consuming and the last thing that I want to do is go to the track just to break tires in.

2) tires moving on the wheels are a result of dirt on the wheels or tires, soapy water or the wheels not being in spec. They have been hearing about this problem from the Porsche people but not from us.

3) Cold tire pressure should be "28psi" and 36 psi hot, 36 hot all around as a starting point and from there play with it, meaning you may try 34psi hot rear and see how that works etc...

4) For the track, Camber front -2.7 rear -1.7
Toe front zero rear 1/8" in
Old 12-17-2009, 06:21 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeBlack
Being a new guy of only a year and a half, I've only run a stock set up except for brakes because I wanted to invest in my driving and not throw money into mods before I reached the maximum of what I can due with a stock set up. Well it's time to step up to Hoosier R6. I contacted Hoosier and learned a few things.
1) Buying tires that are heat cycled is OK but they prefer that the tires be broken in on the track. You need the weight of the car and the real road. I know it's time consuming and the last thing that I want to do is go to the track just to break tires in.

2) tires moving on the wheels are a result of dirt on the wheels or tires, soapy water or the wheels not being in spec. They have been hearing about this problem from the Porsche people but not from us.

3) Cold tire pressure should be "28psi" and 36 psi hot, 36 hot all around as a starting point and from there play with it, meaning you may try 34psi hot rear and see how that works etc...

4) For the track, Camber front -2.7 rear -1.7
Toe front zero rear 1/8" in
Old 12-17-2009, 07:38 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

34 in the front is fine for the A6, but that's too high for the rear...hint, hint.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:06 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Originally Posted by wtknght1
34 in the front is fine for the A6, but that's too high for the rear...hint, hint.
I'm not getting it? 34 or 36 hot is to high for the rear using R6s? I can use all the help I can get so please chime in
Old 12-18-2009, 08:39 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I don't know about the R6, but I can't imagine it's much different than the A6. 34 is a good number for the front, but I try to end up in the mid to high 20s for the rear. Your results may vary.

Testing, testing, testing...repeat.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

I don't know about the R6, but I can't imagine it's much different than the A6. 34 is a good number for the front, but I try to end up in the mid to high 20s for the rear. Your results may vary.

Hey Chris, are you running the tire sensors? With my 06Z06, I have to use them, and with a tire pressure below 25, I get a low tire pressure message, then the computer will not allow me to turn off both active handling and traction control.

I use a HP Turner program to tune the car to run with the 60mm restrictor for SCCA and unrestricted for NASA. Do you know if you can use this program to do away with the sensors?? We were able to take out the 1-4 shifter problem.

Ed
Old 12-18-2009, 09:24 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Fast-Eddie
Hey Chris, are you running the tire sensors? With my 06Z06, I have to use them, and with a tire pressure below 25, I get a low tire pressure message, then the computer will not allow me to turn off both active handling and traction control.

I use a HP Turner program to tune the car to run with the 60mm restrictor for SCCA and unrestricted for NASA. Do you know if you can use this program to do away with the sensors?? We were able to take out the 1-4 shifter problem.Ed
I don't run the sensors. The Phoenix guys broke that code quite a while ago so I can run them at whatever pressure I want. You may want to talk to Joe (jfaphoenix32@aol.com) and see what he has to say. The programming they did for mine has worked flawlessly and I've had no issues.

Another option you could try would be to use a relief valve on your wheels...so you could keep the pressures the same all the time. I've heard that they have clogging and inaccuracy issues though which is why I've never fooled with them. But again, there's no need to screw with all that considering Phoenix Performance can easily fix the issue.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:19 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not getting it? 34 or 36 hot is to high for the rear using R6s? I can use all the help I can get so please chime in:thumbs:
Old 12-18-2009, 03:18 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Your running mid to high 20psi for the rears hot and you don't have any problems?
Old 12-18-2009, 03:28 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Many ppl start low 20s cold. Some even start 18 psi cold in the rear.

Mid to upper 20s HOT. is really the norm for best use.

into the 30s and the tires just slide too much.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:32 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Many ppl start low 20s cold. Some even start 18 psi cold in the rear.
Some start lower than that.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:00 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

depends on your gauge. we had 3 longacre gauges that were spread over 8 psi at road atlanta.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:08 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

and as Chris mentioned before, testing testing and more testing as to what you can or should do.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:15 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

when it comes to tire pressures and alignment specs listen to the Corvette racer for a starting recommendation NOT the Hoosier tech...
Old 12-18-2009, 04:36 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Chris, we know what starting pressures the Phoenix disciples use. And they work out just fine in racing, as you and others have amply demonstrated.

HOWEVER, you should consider that the HPDE folks, by and large, do not get the tires as hot as you hotshots do.

Therefore, a higher starting pressure is more likely to be desirable for them.

I usually recommend (and use myself) 28F/26R or 26F/24R cold pressures. This typically gives them a mid-thirties hot pressure with a slightly higher front tire pressure which seems to work very well for the typical HPDE driver, especially a newbie like the OP.

Best,

Frank GOnzalez
Old 12-18-2009, 06:10 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As an occasional track day guy I have an easy system for determining starting cold pressures. During your time at the track, get your hot temps where you are happy. When you get home that night, or the next morning check the cold pressure. That cold pressure should work out pretty close to the cold pressure you need to reach your desired hot pressure.

I write on my wheels the wheel location (RF, LF, etc), cold and hot pressures, and the track/use ie: RF 23 cold 36 hot Thill 7/30/09

The next time you use your track tires you'll have all the info you need.

Dog
Old 12-18-2009, 06:36 PM
ZO6NTHEWIND
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice tip!

Get notified of new replies

To Conversation with Hoosier Tech

Old 12-18-2009, 07:48 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Your running mid to high 20psi for the rears hot and you don't have any problems?
start at 30 cold and I know you will come back at 22 hot

your have more PSI IN YOUR DOLL FRIEND STEVE:o:o:o WHAT DOES SHE END UP HOT? HERE IS STEVE FOR HIS DOLL

Last edited by John Shiels; 12-18-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:54 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Originally Posted by John Shiels
start at 30 cold and I know you will come back at 22 hot

your have more PSI IN YOUR DOLL FRIEND STEVE:o:o:o WHAT DOES SHE END UP HOT? HERE IS STEVE FOR HIS GOLL
When I road her around a corner with 18 psi cold in her rear she came apart Her side wall ripped out
Old 12-18-2009, 08:55 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by codeblack
when i road her around a corner with 18 psi cold in her rear she came apart
from weight not anything else LIKE A PUNCTURE:o:o:o

Quick Reply: Conversation with Hoosier Tech