Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this big enough to power trailer winch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 03:44 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Is this big enough to power trailer winch?

Someone on here used the Power Station 5000 but I cannot find that for sale. This one is similar:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96157

Winch is the HF 3000lb recommended by forum member. I have a receiver welded to trailer so I can remove it when not in use. Don't really need it right now, but putting it on my Christmas list.

Big enough to pull Z up in an emergency?
Old 12-18-2009, 03:47 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
Someone on here used the Power Station 5000 but I cannot find that for sale. This one is similar:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96157

Winch is the HF 3000lb recommended by forum member. I have a receiver welded to trailer so I can remove it when not in use. Don't really need it right now, but putting it on my Christmas list.

Big enough to pull Z up in an emergency?

Yep, I usually drive mine up on the trailer but for those times that I have needed to winch it up I ALWAYS use a booster pack like that and believe it or not, one of those cheap 2000lb winches (it barely works).. BUT, that is NOT something I reccommend, get at least a 3000lb'er and that 600w booster pack and you'll be all set.

Last edited by GettReal; 12-18-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:09 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Yes! Remember the car is never going to be heavier than 1g and I can't remember my physics but the pulling power you need is really something like the sin of the angle x mass or something like that which means you are pretty much always pulling less than 1g or 3300lbs or whatever your car weight is.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:57 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

I have tried all of the HB #3000 winches and the only one that would pull my Z onto the trailer with out double lining is the 91781. there are lot of ways to rate winches and many willnot pull there rating. The 91781 does a great job. The others won't cut it. JD

Sorry I didn't understand the question, I have that same power pack, but have not tried to use it with the winch. I doubt that it has enough AMPs to handle the job, it may handle it once. Just bought a $70.00 car battery and charge it before each trip.
Note: I no longer drive my car on!!!!!!! The winch does a great job and is much safer around. Just my .02

Last edited by JDIllon; 12-18-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:36 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by JDIllon
I have tried all of the HB #3000 winches and the only one that would pull my Z onto the trailer with out double lining is the 91781. there are lot of ways to rate winches and many willnot pull there rating. The 91781 does a great job. The others won't cut it. JD

Sorry I didn't understand the question, I have that same power pack, but have not tried to use it with the winch. I doubt that it has enough AMPs to handle the job, it may handle it once. Just bought a $70.00 car battery and charge it before each trip.
Note: I no longer drive my car on!!!!!!! The winch does a great job and is much safer around. Just my .02
You would be better off with a car battery that has something like 500+ cold cranking amps. You can get a cheap marine battery box to hold the battery and use some quick disconnect in the cables so you can remove the winch. Just get a small battery charger and connect it to the battery the day before you head ou with the trailer.

If you have fairly steep ramps or the trailer deck is high, you can always use a ****** block to double the pulling power of the winch and reduce the current requirement to pull in the winch cable. Takes longer to winch the car up, but there is less strain on the winch and the battery.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:17 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I bought a superwinch 5000lb rolling weight capacity off of the e-auction site for around 400.00 and a 20' set of jumper cables. I pull the car up off of the truck battery using the 20' cables.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:43 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JDIllon

Per your post in another thread, I got the 91781. Seems like the multipurpose inverter would have other uses as opposed to just using another battery. I may try it and see and if I need to do the battery, at least I will have a backup power source for the house.

Thanks.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:59 AM
worldsaway
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth I use this jump box with a cheap superwinch, and I've pulled my C4, which weighs more than my Z, no problems. I went cheap on both.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39954
Old 12-19-2009, 08:07 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
Per your post in another thread, I got the 91781. Seems like the multipurpose inverter would have other uses as opposed to just using another battery. I may try it and see and if I need to do the battery, at least I will have a backup power source for the house.

Thanks.
As I said, I have that also. Just never used it for the winch. Giave it a try!!!!!!! JD
Old 12-19-2009, 09:39 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

That was on sale for $49.99 last month but I wasn't sure it was big enough so I didn't buy it. I will give it a try.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this big enough to power trailer winch?

Quick Reply: Is this big enough to power trailer winch?