Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets talk about spacers and adapters

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 12:29 AM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Lets talk about spacers and adapters

Lets talk about...

SPACERS...

and...

ADAPTERS...

I do a lot of Auto-X events, and I am in the process of flaring my car for cosmetic reasons. When I get back to Auto-X next year, I am considering using spacers or adapters to push my race tires out and make the car "look right". However, I have serious concerns about the stress applied to the hubs / bearings / etc.

Knowing some basic physics, it would seem to me that the further I push that wheel out away from the original mounting surface, the more leverage that will be applied (think about prying open a door with a short bar vs a long bar). How much potential wear and damage am I setting myself up for? Spacers are available for up to 1/2" or so (which doesn't seem like much) while adapters can easily go 2" or more.

Where do we draw the line under the serious strain of Auto-X on R compound tires?

Old 12-25-2009, 01:18 AM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

What year of car do you have?

My situation is probably completly different than yours, but i have been running adapters for aobut 10 years now on my 73 and have never had an issue. I use the 3" adapters and run 16X9.5" C4 wheels. This car only sees autocross events and is never driven on the streets. Both my dad and i have driven this car, and we don't exactly take it easy. I also started running my 76 this year and used the same setup.

If you do use the spacers, make sure to get longer studs. With the adapters you won't need to have he longer studs since it already has studs on it.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:24 AM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

vettehardt, how many wheel bearings have you been through? I've never had to replace one. My '97 has 150k on it and runs about 150-200 auto-x laps per year.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:33 AM
flink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moving the wheels outwards will increase hub/bearing stresses slightly, but only a little bit. Particularly on high-offset wheels like a Corvette's - the hub and bearing will still be pretty close to the wheel's longitudinal centerline.

Pushing the wheels outwards will also slightly decrease your wheel rate, softening the suspension.

Spacers just creep me out from a strength POV. A lot of BMW racers run surprisingly thick ones, but it just Seems Wrong. Adapters are far preferable, IMO - no reduction in strength at all if the spacer nuts and studs are as strong as the originals.

Adapters retain hub-centricity, whereas a spacer more than 6mm or so will start to lose centricity. I spent some time futzing with 1" spacers once, and wasn't able to get the wheel centered, to stop it wobbling. I got it centered one time, but it started to wobble after 2 miles.

Adapters might mean you'll need to shorten the studs. If the track wheels don't have voids in the back (many do) then the studs will need to be shaved to be shorter than the thickness of the adapter. That's easy enough to do - just hacksaw them off and put a chamfer on with a hand file. But the shortened studs can cause fitment problems when you switch to other wheels without the adapters. I solved this problem once with shanked lugnuts - the ones which have a threaded tube which actually pokes inside the wheel, all the way down to the hub.

Last edited by flink; 12-25-2009 at 03:37 AM.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:47 AM
worldsaway
Racer

The '84-87 C4's had a different offset than '88> and C5's. I run 3/4" spacers on my '87 BSP autox car so I can run the C5 wheels and I've had no problems. I've changed wheel bearings but the car has 115k hard miles. Ed
Old 12-25-2009, 11:57 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

been running .750 & .850" front for many track miles and years with no problem. They spacers came from DRM and CCW. Rear 3/8" spacer
Old 12-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Maynor29
Instructor

Some wheel spacers tech from a well-regarded non-Corvette road racing site:

Originally Posted by See Link
Wheel Spacer Tech

Are wheel spacers safe?

Yes. When properly installed they are just as safe as wheels installed without spacers.

Will wheel spacers cause my wheel studs to bend?

No. The load from a wheel is transferred to the axle/hub through the friction of the clamped joint, not through the wheel stud. A wheel stud can only bend if the lug nuts are not properly torqued, in which case the wheel is about to fall off, anyway.

The Physics of Keeping the Wheels On
  • As long as the wheel, hub, and spacer are stiff enough to prevent flexing and loss of clamp force, the cause of most wheel stud failures is under tightened lug nuts (not enough clamping force) or over tightened lug nuts (the stud has been stretched past it's elastic limit, so the clamping force goes away). Therefore, properly installed wheel spacers are perfectly safe.
  • The wheel stud applies a clamping force that holds the wheel to the hub. When the lug nuts are tightened, the wheel studs stretch elastically, like very stiff springs. The lug nuts should be tightened until the stud is at 90% of its elastic limit. This will provide the greatest possible force to hold the wheel to the hub.
  • The amount of clamping force at a joint is important because of the coefficient of friction (Cf). The more clamping force applied to the joint (in this case the joint between the wheel and the hub), the more force required to make the wheel slip relative to the hub. Unless the wheel slips on the hub, there cannot be any bending load on the stud.
  • Coefficient of friction -- There is friction between the wheel face and hub face. This friction can be measured, and it is called the "coefficient of friction". The coefficient of friction (Cf) is the ratio of normal force, at the intersection of two surfaces, to the lateral force required to slip the bodies relative to one another. As an example, good street tires have a Cf of 0.9. This means that if there is a 100-pound vertical force applied to the tire, the tire can generate 90 lbs. of cornering force before it slides.
  • When the car starts moving, the stress applied to the stud does not change appreciably, unless one of two things happens:
  1. The vertical component of any external force applied to the wheel is so great that the clamping force is not sufficient to hold the wheel in place, and it slips on the hub. At this point the stud is loaded in bending and in shear, and may yield, or even break.
  2. Some portion of the clamped joint, wheel, or hub is not stiff enough to prevent flexing, and allows the tension load on the stud to drop to zero. With no tension load on the stud, the clamped joint is no longer tight. The wheel can then move relative to the hub, and place a bending load on the studs.
  • Inserting a wheel spacer between the hub and wheel changes nothing about these physics.
  • The hub center of a hubcentric spacer does not hold the spacer on the hub or reduce the chance of stud failure. There is never any load on the lip of the wheel spacer. For there to be a load on the lip, the friction force in the joint must have been completely overcome. The lip on a hubcentric wheel spacer serves only as an aid for wheel installation.
  • Increasing the length of the wheel studs to use a wider wheel spacer has no appreciable effect.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:16 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flink
Adapters retain hub-centricity, whereas a spacer more than 6mm or so will start to lose centricity. I spent some time futzing with 1" spacers once, and wasn't able to get the wheel centered, to stop it wobbling. I got it centered one time, but it started to wobble after 2 miles.
IIRC the DRM spacers are machined to keep the hubcentric lips.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:00 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by doje
vettehardt, how many wheel bearings have you been through? I've never had to replace one. My '97 has 150k on it and runs about 150-200 auto-x laps per year.
I have never had to replace one since I started running the cars. I did replace the fronts on the 76 when I did a brake job to it just after I bought it. The right front dust cap came off on the street somewhere allowing the greese to escape and fried the bearings. That was 3 years ago and I just started running the car some this year. The 73 has seen many, many hard autocross laps since 1995 when we put the car together. We run every NCCC event in the Indiana region plus a select few out side the region. We run one high speed event at Putnam Park every year. We started running the adapters from VB&P and C4 wheels around 1999. We have never touched the bearings on that car since it was put together.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:12 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

The adapters on my car are needed to take up the difference in offset that the C4 style wheels have over the C3. I only need the 2" adapters to clear the suspension, but I use the 3" ones to help push the wheels out further.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:05 AM
jgalaxy
Cruising

Originally Posted by doje
Lets talk about...

SPACERS...

and...

ADAPTERS...

I do a lot of Auto-X events, and I am in the process of flaring my car for cosmetic reasons. When I get back to Auto-X next year, I am considering using spacers or adapters to push my race tires out and make the car "look right". However, I have serious concerns about the stress applied to the hubs / bearings / etc.

Knowing some basic physics, it would seem to me that the further I push that wheel out away from the original mounting surface, the more leverage that will be applied (think about prying open a door with a short bar vs a long bar). How much potential wear and damage am I setting myself up for? Spacers are available for up to 1/2" or so (which doesn't seem like much) while adapters can easily go 2" or more.

Where do we draw the line under the serious strain of Auto-X on R compound tires?

I don't know about other folks here, but after trying a stint with some spacers front and rear (10mm front and 5mm rear each side) at the track for my race setup, I have since decided to give that up. This summer I bought a set to help with a wider stance up front to gain a little better turn in bite on my BMW. Mounted with my race rims and Dunlop Direzza's, I had vibrations under braking with the spacers and couldnt get rid of it no matter what I tried. Towards the end of an open track day at Calabogie Motorsports Park the vibrations were just too much. I pitted and went to inspect what was going on and see if I needed to re-torque the lug nuts. Low and behold, 2 sheared lug nuts lay right next to where I had parked and a third was also sheared and lost to the wind. Likely another pass would have sheared the remaining two lug nuts holding on the wheel. Scary stuff.

I'm not saying this is going to happen to you, but maybe you might want to consider getting rims with the correct offset for starters.

Curious about other folks' experiences ...
Old 12-27-2009, 03:47 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,748 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I run an 8mm spacer in the rear and have no issues. I need them to clear some of the suspension in the back and have never had a tire wobble or vibration problem. I had some spacers machined at work that are hub centric to replace the ones on the car just to be safe.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:36 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jgalaxy
I don't know about other folks here, but after trying a stint with some spacers front and rear (10mm front and 5mm rear each side) at the track for my race setup, I have since decided to give that up. This summer I bought a set to help with a wider stance up front to gain a little better turn in bite on my BMW. Mounted with my race rims and Dunlop Direzza's, I had vibrations under braking with the spacers and couldnt get rid of it no matter what I tried. Towards the end of an open track day at Calabogie Motorsports Park the vibrations were just too much. I pitted and went to inspect what was going on and see if I needed to re-torque the lug nuts. Low and behold, 2 sheared lug nuts lay right next to where I had parked and a third was also sheared and lost to the wind. Likely another pass would have sheared the remaining two lug nuts holding on the wheel. Scary stuff.

I'm not saying this is going to happen to you, but maybe you might want to consider getting rims with the correct offset for starters.

That is some scary stuff. I can think of a few problems that may have happened. First off many wheel spacer companies don't think about heat and the growth of the material. IF the spacer grows too much your torque setting will increase to the point of breaking off studs.

Vibrations and funny things like that are caused by un-flat spacers and unversial spacers with the larger holes to fit all sizes. They flatout are scary and I will not suggest them to anybody. Because they actually move during driving.

Randy
Old 12-28-2009, 09:31 PM
jgalaxy
Cruising

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
That is some scary stuff. I can think of a few problems that may have happened. First off many wheel spacer companies don't think about heat and the growth of the material. IF the spacer grows too much your torque setting will increase to the point of breaking off studs.

Vibrations and funny things like that are caused by un-flat spacers and unversial spacers with the larger holes to fit all sizes. They flatout are scary and I will not suggest them to anybody. Because they actually move during driving.

Randy
Pretty scary indeed. I'm just happy I trusted my instincts. You know it's so easy to say to yourself for something like that, "ah, I'll check it when I come in at the next group change". The vibrations were always there cold or hot and would manifest themselves at specific speeds. I tried to moving the spacers around twiced during the day hoping that I would find just the right spots to eliminate the vibrations. Never quite gone though. I'm assuming that the vibrations under heavy braking eventually just wore and sheared off the lugs. Interestingly enough the same spacers never hadn't posed any problems with my street rims. Just my track rims.

There is no substitute for rims with the right offset ...
Old 12-30-2009, 12:11 AM
bssofro
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jgalaxy

1) Did you use the factory TORQUE specs?

2) Did you use a calibrated torque wrench?

3) Was the car serviced at a dealer or other shop that had the rims off at some time or another where they might have used an AIR GUN set to MAX TORQUE, and maybe "streteched" the stud?

Glad everything worked out..and no one was hurt.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:09 AM
jgalaxy
Cruising

Originally Posted by bssofro
1) Did you use the factory TORQUE specs?

2) Did you use a calibrated torque wrench?

3) Was the car serviced at a dealer or other shop that had the rims off at some time or another where they might have used an AIR GUN set to MAX TORQUE, and maybe "streteched" the stud?

Glad everything worked out..and no one was hurt.

Yup of factory torque specs, yup on calibrated wrench and no, dealer never touches my track stuff.

I'm sure it just had to do with my track rims not being the perfect match for the spacers.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:25 AM
worldsaway
Racer

i had a blazer that sheared off several studs before I finally realized the problem. The wheels were expanded at the lug holes, so I was tightening the lugnuts and barely contacting the wheel. The fact that the load wasn't on the wheel made them shear under pressure.

Get notified of new replies

To Lets talk about spacers and adapters

Old 01-02-2010, 11:24 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Think about this for a minute... a spacer is no different than the mechanics of how your brake rotor stays on the hub.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Think about this for a minute... a spacer is no different than the mechanics of how your brake rotor stays on the hub.

All new cars use slip on brake rotors .... looks alot like a spacer. Don't really see how there is a difference as long as the spacer is a machined spacer and not one of those cheap cast ones (seen those break apart).
Old 01-02-2010, 01:29 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Originally Posted by Jason Staley

All new cars use slip on brake rotors .... looks alot like a spacer. Don't really see how there is a difference as long as the spacer is a machined spacer and not one of those cheap cast ones (seen those break apart).
Think of a pry bar. The longer the handle, the more leverage you have. A spacer, by moving the wheel further from the car, causes more leverage to be applied. The question is, how much is too much? I guarantee that a three foot spacer (adapter) would rip the hub right off. A 1/4" spacer is no issue. The $64,000 question is, where is the line between OK, and NO WAY?

Quick Reply: Lets talk about spacers and adapters