Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question regarding mods for track

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 12:24 PM
mjdrebano
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question regarding mods for track

when do you know when you need a BBK?

when do you know when you need coilovers?

i noticed most people mod away, but fail to learn to go faster first.

some info on my car:

'04 shocks, toyo ra1's, carbo xp10 and xp8's, piper bar and seat/harness.
everything else stock.

i think i may be pushing the limits of the stock brakes. After my last weekend i experienced the need to "confidence tap" my brakes if i took some turns hard enough. installing the seat really let me get more out of the car. Is this when you know you are in need of a BBK? does anyone just use the factory brakes and continue to "tap"? should i go with SKF hubs first before trying BBK to help with the pad knockback?

when do you know when you need coilovers? the car already corners over 1G from the factory. what benefits are there other than going faster? this c5 z06 already scares me with 405 hp.

i always believed in getting the most of your machinery before modding.
(also it is much cheaper and rewarding to drive faster with what you've got )

Last edited by mjdrebano; 12-26-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:39 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I'm not sure you will ever need coilovers. (Let the flames begin.) Some of the fastest C5s and C6s in the country use leaf springs.

I own a dedicated C4. It's a lot of fun but it's also a hassle. You have to load it in the the trailer and then unpack all the gear. On the track it's fast, and a lot of fun. Is it woth the trouble? I'm not sure.

If I had to start over I would just buy a stock Z06 and put some DOT tires on it. I would like to think I've now got enough sense that I wouldn't modify a thing on the car. I would just have fun.

Remember track events are not racing events. There's always going to someone faster than you are. He*l, on a tight track it will probably be a Spec Miata.

Just go out and have fun. Or, you do what I've done. Buy a real piece of crap and run the 24 Hours of LeMons.

Richard Newton
The Camaro Crap Car

Last edited by rfn026; 12-26-2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 370 Likes on 306 Posts

Sounds like pad knock back. After a long straight I tap the brake or there is a long pedal. A BBK would be nice but I just deal with it.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

The LG G Stop Kit can help with the long pedal that comes from using the stock caliper. However, you can get a little more life out of the stock calipers by flipping the pads to counteract the tapering that causes the long pedal. You can also change your braking style to slow the rate of tapering. Easing onto the brake pedal instead of jumping on it can get the pads seated on the rotor before you put full pressure on the pedal. That way you get less tapering each time you apply the pedal and can get a little more track time before needing to flip the pads. Another thing you can try doing is backing off the throttle a little sooner and just letting the car coast down a bit before hitting the brakes.

One way to see if you can mod your braking style is to drive the track as fast as you can without using the brakes. It may surprise you that you can go pretty fast without brakes.

Bill
Old 12-26-2009, 02:11 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How long do the pads last now? What temps are you seeing now? Do you have brake ducts yet?

Drop some sways in before coil-overs.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

You have a great HPDE platform as it is now with seats, harnesses, roll bar, upgraded shocks, Carbotech pads and descent tires (Toyo RA1s). If you want to improve the safety and handling of your C5 Z06 for a reasonable price, install a set of stainless steel brake lines, use DOT 4 fluid, get a good street/track wheel alignment, install a set of front brake (DRM) cooling ducts and install a set of used T1 sway bars. Save your money re: coilovers and BBK. The OEM brakes are pretty damn good - use blank rotors vs. drilled. Have FUN!
Old 12-26-2009, 09:14 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I'm a mediocre autocross driver at best, my times typically range from the middle to top third of whichever group I'm driving with.
Last month I allowed a very good driver to drive my car through the course. His time was within two seconds (on a 70 - 80 second course) of the fastest time of the day, my car is essetially stock and was on street tires.
My point is that with a good driver these cars with minimal modifications can be very fast.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:06 PM
mjdrebano
Intermediate

Thanks all for the informative posts and info.

I was suprised to read about some others who just deal with the knockback.

I pretty much. Bleed my brakes religiously, even more than I would on my old "slow" e30.

I've had over 100 autoxs in various cars and unknown number of hpdes since 1999 so I'm very aware that you can always drive faster, otherwise this would be a profession instead of a hobby.

Any mods I plan to make are more for safety or "feel" to gain more confidence. The seat seemed to be my best mod of all.

I do my own alignments and work. Don't feel I need to upgrade for mmore braking performance.

Ill probably go with lg bilstien shocks next as my mod since I feel happy with factory springs. I can tell the shocks are getting weak. Ill do the stainless lines and brake ducts as well.

Thanks again for replies.

Keep the "shiny " side up guys!

Last edited by mjdrebano; 12-26-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:23 AM
worldsaway
Racer

you mention pulling over 1g, my stock '04 Z pulls over 1.3 on A6's. your money might be better spent on stickier tires, they're aloot more fun to me.

Get notified of new replies

To question regarding mods for track

Quick Reply: question regarding mods for track