Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4-speed vs. 6-speed automatics for auto-x

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 11:49 PM
Hellspawn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4-speed vs. 6-speed automatics for auto-x

Getting close to purchasing either an '05 or '06 C6. I need an automatic due to horrendous Los Angeles traffic as this car will also be my daily driver.

I plan on autocrossing the car and was wondering if there was really any reason to go with the 6-speed auto over the 4-speed auto, when you will pretty much just be shifting the car from 1st to 2nd and then leaving it there most of the time...? Would the 6-speed really be much better or faster for any reason? I could probably save a few bucks if I got an '05 with the 4-speed.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:10 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Depends on the gears. I autocross my 96 A4 and love it. I also have the high-speed rearend so I can actually leave it in first. The torque coming out of corners is great. With that said, a lower rear gear and a six-speed auto would probably give you the same in second gear (although a lot more torque in a C6 :P). Being your DD, I'd think the six-speed auto would give you better fuel economy too. Just my $.02.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Hellspawn
Instructor

Thanks for the input

I am sure there are some C6 automatic auto-x'ers here somewhere!

I want to keep gears stock BTW, so I can run in SCCA stock class.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:26 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Don't the C6 six-speed autos come with paddle shifters? That'd sell me right there.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Hellspawn
Instructor

^They do, but I'm not sure how helpful they'd be on an auto-x course since you are barely shifting, and they are not stationary (they spin with the wheel) which I would think would make it somewhat difficult to use on ultra-tight turns anyway...

(just speculating)
Old 12-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Somebody I know tried autocrossing his A6 and didn't like it. As the previous poster said the paddles turn with the steering wheel and with the tight turns in most autocrosses people tend to move their hands more than track driving. Unless they have changed the paddles to be like the new Camaro you push on either one to upshift and pull to downshift. The upshift button above the steering wheel spoke isn't easy to use. I have an 08 Malibu with the A6 and paddle shift on the same steering wheel and find it is easier to put my fingers behind the wheel and push on the paddle that way than try and use my thumb over the steering wheel spoke. They should have made more room for the fingers and not even put the + button on the steering wheel.

Bill
Old 12-29-2009, 05:16 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Does hertz still have the Corvette Rentals? You could try before you buy. LMAO
Old 12-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

The stock gearing on the A4 is a waste for autocross. The A6 is geared a lot better. Not sure about the paddles or the driving, but from a gearing standpoint it is far better than the A4
Old 12-30-2009, 01:45 AM
Hellspawn
Instructor

Originally Posted by Solofast
The stock gearing on the A4 is a waste for autocross. The A6 is geared a lot better. Not sure about the paddles or the driving, but from a gearing standpoint it is far better than the A4
Hmm that is good information. I assume the 6 speed can still be left in second most of the time like the 4 speed? Or does it need to be shifted more often?
Old 12-30-2009, 05:11 AM
r.hillenbrand
******RETIRED ARMY******
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

I have an 07 C6 with the A6 paddle shift and can use either side to up shift or down shift. I run it in the NASA HPDE events on the east coast. It will work but there is a big lag between gears and when it kick you need to make sure the car has recovered from the tight turn. I never use 1st gear and depending on the track don't need 2nd. I use 3rd 4th and 5th gears. There is also paddle add-ons for the turning and ease of shifting. The problem with the paddle sifting and use of the car is that it is on the edge when breaking loose and I have had the rear come around on me as it shifts.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellspawn
Hmm that is good information. I assume the 6 speed can still be left in second most of the time like the 4 speed? Or does it need to be shifted more often?
With an A6 you won't shift it any more than with a six speed stick. The gearing is almost the same. Get it into second and leave it there. With an A4 or an A6 both will be in second, but the rear wheel torque (what does the acceleration) is 25% greater than with the A4. As a result the A6 will be way stronger in the short straights of an autocross. With a six speed stick you very very very seldom need third, so the A6 isn't by any means going to be between gears and shifting up and down. If you have a choice there isn't any question in my mind that the A6 would be far better than the A4 for an autocross.

Last edited by Solofast; 12-30-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Hellspawn
Instructor

fantastic, thanks for the input guys. I will wait for an '06 with the 6-speed then.

Get notified of new replies

To 4-speed vs. 6-speed automatics for auto-x

Quick Reply: 4-speed vs. 6-speed automatics for auto-x