Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on BFG KDW-2 for Street/Track Use

Old 12-29-2009, 02:12 PM
DannyG
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Thoughts on BFG KDW-2 for Street/Track Use

I'm aware that these aren't "ideal" tires for the track, by any means, but I'm curious if anyone has experience using them in such conditions. How do they compare to, say, PS2s? Reason I ask is because I want a tire that I can run at the track with good results and still drive around 15-20k street miles on. If that weren't the case, I'd go with some R compounds; however, I don't want to be replacing tires every 5-6k miles just yet.

Your insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 367 Likes on 303 Posts

I have a pair of normal KDW on and a pair of PS2 on, I've swapped them front to back and they seem about the same grip. The pair of PS2's are much more worn. I've done several road track events, and drag racing. They are holding up well. I'd recommend a stickier tire, these are actually lasting to long. Oh I've also had rain events and they were good in the rain.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:03 PM
DannyG
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I have a pair of normal KDW on and a pair of PS2 on, I've swapped them front to back and they seem about the same grip. The pair of PS2's are much more worn. I've done several road track events, and drag racing. They are holding up well. I'd recommend a stickier tire, these are actually lasting to long. Oh I've also had rain events and they were good in the rain.
Good info I want a tire that performs in the rain, as well.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:22 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My only experience is comparing KDW to th same tire in KD. The KDW was a joke compared to the KD as far dry performance goes, but I'm sure they would do better than the KD in the wet (not hard to do)
Old 12-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 367 Likes on 303 Posts

I wound up with different sets of paired tires from buying C5 rims. I'm thinking of using something like the Nitto NT01 next or Toyo 888/RA1 instead for more grip.

The KDW on the rear got me a 1.86 60' at the drags.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:19 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthLT4
My only experience is comparing KDW to th same tire in KD. The KDW was a joke compared to the KD as far dry performance goes, but I'm sure they would do better than the KD in the wet (not hard to do)
I got a much better result.

The KDW is a very good all around tire until you can badly overdrive it. The PS2 is a little better on track but not overall. The KDW is superior in the rain.

I have worn out 2 sets of the KDW's on the C6. They ride decent on the highway and are quieter that the run-flats and they grip PDG on-track. Certainly they are not an "R".

An excellent compromise, and very good track tire, is the Toyo R888. They will run good hot laps, do well under hard braking and will last 8-10,000 miles on the street (with reasonable driving!).
Old 12-29-2009, 04:35 PM
DannyG
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by rbl
An excellent compromise, and very good track tire, is the Toyo R888. They will run good hot laps, do well under hard braking and will last 8-10,000 miles on the street (with reasonable driving!).
This is actually the tire I'd prefer to run; however, my current budget and said tire's given tread life is what's holding me back. The KDW-2s, while not the track tire the R888 is, runs about $400 less per set and will last about twice as long. Plus, I live in Seattle, so a half decent rain tire wouldn't be a horrible thing!
Old 12-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

KDW-2's can be flipped inside-out to reveal fresh shoulders. Not sure about the tread design on other tires.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:39 PM
DannyG
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Datawiz
KDW-2's can be flipped inside-out to reveal fresh shoulders. Not sure about the tread design on other tires.
Good point! This is the case with many directional tires, with the exception of those that have unique shoulder patterns like the Nitto NT-01, for example.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:19 PM
DannyG
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

Anyone else?
Old 12-31-2009, 09:09 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run the KDW on the front and the KDWII on the rear. I think that it is a good tire for street/track duty. Mine are a few years old now, maybe 10,000 miles on them, I still use them as my rain tire, still have not hit the wear indicator.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:36 PM
no spin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After 5 track days and 17K miles I replaced my Super Cars with the KDW2. After more than 4 years 15 track days and 30K miles I still have those tires for around town driving. None of those track days were in the rain but I found them to be a decent track tire if you have to drive your car to the track and they are hard to kill.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:11 PM
DannyG
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

All good info making me lean toward giving them a run for their money! Appreciate the input guys.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:55 PM
l8_apexer
Instructor

Default KDW's on the track

I've been doing HPDE's, roadracing for the past 24 years- lots of laps under my belt. I sold my 911 to get a 08 C6 Z51. PIcked up a set of extra wheels from a forum member-- they came with KDW's in excellent condition on them. Figured I would just burn those up and then buy some R compounds for track use.

I have been quite impressed at how the KDWs have performed. Several other people have ridden with me, driven with me and are amazed at the grip and lap times those KDWs have been delivering. I usually trailed my car to the track-- but the C6 won't fit on my trailer, so I've been driving back and forth with the KDWs.

If you can get a good price, I wouldn't have any reservations about getting a set. I've got 6 track weekends on mine-- the rears are just getting to the sweet part (now about 3/32s) and I need to decide whter to get a new set of rears or go to R compounds. Never dreamed I'd have to be wrestling with this decision.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:58 PM
DannyG
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by l8_apexer
I've been doing HPDE's, roadracing for the past 24 years- lots of laps under my belt. I sold my 911 to get a 08 C6 Z51. PIcked up a set of extra wheels from a forum member-- they came with KDW's in excellent condition on them. Figured I would just burn those up and then buy some R compounds for track use.

I have been quite impressed at how the KDWs have performed. Several other people have ridden with me, driven with me and are amazed at the grip and lap times those KDWs have been delivering. I usually trailed my car to the track-- but the C6 won't fit on my trailer, so I've been driving back and forth with the KDWs.

If you can get a good price, I wouldn't have any reservations about getting a set. I've got 6 track weekends on mine-- the rears are just getting to the sweet part (now about 3/32s) and I need to decide whter to get a new set of rears or go to R compounds. Never dreamed I'd have to be wrestling with this decision.
Very, very good info! My ONLY reservation is that they don't come in a 305/35, which I'd really like to run. However, that's definitely not a crucial detail.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:54 AM
errance
Pro

Hello,

My first track day was on the Goodyear runcraps that came with my 2007 C6 Z51 and that was a mistake... I've been using KDWs ever since.

I like the KDW because it's comparatively cheap and easy to find. And it can be used for the drive to the track even if the track is 2 states away, and then on the track itself - a key feature since I don't own a truck or tire trailer.

I like that they did well at PIR in the rain, and I like that they squeal like pigs on the dry - helped me gauge how much traction I had left when I was a total noob.

I also like that they are a decent match for my non-racing brake pads on most tracks. And they wear well, I've got a good dozen DEs on the rear and still a good half-dozen more to go. Unfortunately the fronts get worn unevenly due to my stock alignment, so they only survive less than 10 DEs if you don't remount them left to right.

All that being said, I'll probably experiment with something more track and less road next time, combined with real track pads. Probably the R888. Just to change things up a little.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:37 AM
C6 4 AL
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Street and Track tire

I have found the Bridgestone RE11 to be the best choice for my C6 Z51 they worked great from the start and are still working after 5000 miles 5track days 3 autox. They have a 305 size which is what I have on the rear.

The Toyo 888's also worked good at the start but they seem to heat cycle out quickly. I had plenty of tread left on them but they would not hook up, was running 1:31 at Streets of Willow with used 888's. Next time out with RE11's 1:29.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:18 PM
errance
Pro

Originally Posted by C6 4 AL
I have found the Bridgestone RE11 to be the best choice for my C6 Z51 they worked great from the start and are still working after 5000 miles 5track days 3 autox. They have a 305 size which is what I have on the rear.
Looks like they're available in OE size 285/35R19 . Why did you go to 305/30R19 ?

Any guesstimate how much life you've got left in them at this point?

Last edited by errance; 01-03-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:19 PM
DannyG
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by C6 4 AL
They have a 305 size which is what I have on the rear.
Really appreciate the info; however, I'll be running 18"s all around and they don't have anything wider than a 275 in such a diameter.

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on BFG KDW-2 for Street/Track Use

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts on BFG KDW-2 for Street/Track Use