Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best brake pad for low speed autocrossing

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 07:53 PM
CStewTAMU
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Best brake pad for low speed autocrossing

What pad (part # included) do y'all recommend?

The car is a 1994 Corvette (base brakes, not J55 option).

I know little about brakes.

I am looking for a pad that is stricktly for autocrossing. A pad that would be too rough on rotors for daily driving.

I have heard ceramics aren't very good for autocrossing, but are great for a dailey driver as they don't dust up so much.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:36 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would probably go with the Hawk HP-Plus. Part numbers are HB111N.610 (front) and HB112N.540 (rear). I just bought some of these for my J55 brakes and they were around $150 each (~$300 total), just fyi. Forget the website I ordered them from.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:10 PM
Cashmo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also check out the Hawk HPS pads.

Jeff
Old 12-30-2009, 11:39 PM
Red Guts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthLT4
I would probably go with the Hawk HP-Plus. Part numbers are HB111N.610 (front) and HB112N.540 (rear). I just bought some of these for my J55 brakes and they were around $150 each (~$300 total), just fyi. Forget the website I ordered them from.

I've used almost everything on my 94. HP+ are the best.
Base and J55 use the same pad.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:36 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Take a look at this pad. Front $151 Rear $133 Please contact me if intrested adam@ctbrakes.com

Carbotech™ AX6™ (1106™)
The AX6™ takes the place of the Panther Plus™ compound that was so successful. AX6™ was specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range (50°F to 1150°F +). Advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial “bite”, high coefficient of friction, and very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. AX6™ offers high fade resistance, rotor friendliness at all temperatures, excellent cold stopping power, and non corrosive dust. As a result, AX6™ is an excellent choice for Autocross & AX6™ has gained tremendous popularity with SCCA Prosolo/Solo2 competitors for its fantastic bite, release & modulation. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech doesn’t recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT a race compound, and should not be used as such. AX6™ shouldn’t be used by any intermediate or advanced track day drivers, and should not be used with “R” compound tires (racing tires).
Old 12-31-2009, 09:01 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

For low speed events, I would go with the Hawk HPS over the HP+. The HPS pad has great cold bite and will also work for "spirited" street use and just daily driving. They work fine with stock rotors. Could they be used for track days? Probably, depending on the track and the speeds encountered. OK for the beginner.

The Hawk HP+ pad will work too but they need to have some heat in them before they really start working. Low speed events and especially those events where you have to wait some time between runs may not allow enough heat to be built up to make the pad really work. Also when cold, these pads tend to squeal.

Once hot, they do work well especially for higher speeds. A good pad for occasional track days but they are hard on rotors and generate lots of dust. Not really a street pad if you want clean wheels and quiet brakes.

I have used both pads for autocross events where speeds are under say 50MPH, the HPS will be a good choice and you can still use them on the street. The HP+ is a good choice for autocross events above say 70 or for entry level track days.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:50 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthLT4
Old 12-31-2009, 10:17 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HP+ work just fine cold, FWIW.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:46 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Don't know about C4 applications, but PFC Z-rated pads work great for autocross on my C5. Got a set of HP+ pads waiting in the wings.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 12-31-2009, 11:05 AM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
Take a look at this pad. Front $151 Rear $133 Please contact me if intrested adam@ctbrakes.com

Carbotech™ AX6™ (1106™)
The AX6™ takes the place of the Panther Plus™ compound that was so successful. AX6™ was specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range (50°F to 1150°F +). Advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial “bite”, high coefficient of friction, and very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. AX6™ offers high fade resistance, rotor friendliness at all temperatures, excellent cold stopping power, and non corrosive dust. As a result, AX6™ is an excellent choice for Autocross & AX6™ has gained tremendous popularity with SCCA Prosolo/Solo2 competitors for its fantastic bite, release & modulation. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech doesn’t recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT a race compound, and should not be used as such. AX6™ shouldn’t be used by any intermediate or advanced track day drivers, and should not be used with “R” compound tires (racing tires).
I'm very pleased with my Carbotechs.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:12 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Carbotech™ AX6™ (1106™)
Why don't they work with a6/710 tires?

I used the old PP on a c4 with 710's, no problems.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:14 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by TedDBere
HP+ work just fine cold, FWIW.

If you want a little heat in the pads, just drag on the brakes a bit as you pull up to start.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:44 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by rws.1
Hawk HP+
Recommend not using on the street when coming to a stop(15mph and below) with abs active, you may not stop soon enough. Other than that, awesome.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:21 PM
CStewTAMU
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard nothing but good stuff about the Hawk brand.

But I've always thought of them as a street and racing type pad. Kinda a hybrid all around pad. I could be wrong.

I am looking for something that is stricktly for racing. Pads that create much more friction and stop quicker but at the expense of tearing up/wearing down the rotors. Some anything for street use would probably not be what I am looking for.

One of the guys in our club actually has 2 sets of brake pads and 2 sets of rotors. He changes them out wen he races due to the pads being too hard on rotors. This is for low speed autocross, so the pads don't have to be hot to work or anything. He recommended a semi-metallic. Definitely not a ceramic. His car is a C5.

Brakes have been kinda a mystery for me. Opinions seem to be very mixed. Some swear by ceramics in racing. Some people say ceramics are horrible for racing. Etc.

Right now I am just using the Duralast ceramic bake pads from Autozone. And they're leaps and bounds better than what I took off the car.

Last edited by CStewTAMU; 01-01-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:29 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly, for AutoX, it doesn't really matter much. The main reason for buying special racing/expensive brake pads is to prevent brake fade, which happens after extended hard driving on tracks. With 60 second AutoX runs, you won't really experience that so long as you have a decent pad. There are more 'aggressive' pads than the HP+ (or Carbotechs listed above), but you won't see any improvement of any sort by getting something more expensive or more 'racy', in your particular application. IMHO.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:26 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carbotech™ AX6™ (1106™)
Having been competing in the National Tour and Pro Solos for 5 years. Nothing has impressed me more than Carbotechs. I've used the AX 6 Panther Plus pads with much success, but love the XP 8's even better.
Both these pads can be run on the street and are very rotor friendly! I just smile when my competitors use another brand.

D.J. Covert
Realty Executives Corvette #96
ASP now SSM
2008 NASA-Az TTS Champion
Old 01-01-2010, 07:36 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Will the car see street duty? What are the speeds you have seen in the events you have entered or watched??

As I mentioned, if speeds are not fast (say 50 or less) and the number of entrants in a run group will cause the car to sit for some time between runs, then the Hawk HPS will work fine. The HPS pads will work for your needs but will also haul the car down from 125+ with no problem. And you can use them in city traffic or on the freeway.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I just used the OEM pads on my C4. They worked fine. With R compound tires I could stop the car in less than a 100 ft from 60 mph.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Best brake pad for low speed autocrossing

Quick Reply: Best brake pad for low speed autocrossing