Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limited slip issues/questions...

Old 01-03-2010, 11:58 AM
autox_vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limited slip issues/questions...

After 6 years of pretty much dedicated autox usage, my '02 C5Z (18K miles) started to exhibit symptoms of limited slip issues at the last event of the year. We had a relatively tight right hander with very different grip levels inside vs. outside after a faster section. If I threw it into the corner and tried to catch it coming out, it felt like a car with an open diff where it just quit accelerating and you could hear the inside tire spinning until it caught again (yea, I realize it was driver induced somewhat). I've never felt this behavior before from this car. The rest of the courses it was fine.

I looked at the FSM, and there doesn't appear to be any diagnosis steps for checking the diff. My old C3 had breakaway torque specs that you could do to check it. Any ideas?

Looking in the FSM, it appears that you can pull the diff housing out from one side and replace the limited slip without pulling the entire final drive out of the car. Has anyone tried this? Danny?

Just trying to decide whether to drop the amount of friction modifier when I change the fluids this spring and see how far I can make it into the season, or pull it apart and rebuild it during the winter.

Thanks for any info!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Limited slip issues/questions...