Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New data acquisition system

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 02:09 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New data acquisition system

Would any one happen to own or have used the Track Commander from RLC racing. This data logger is 100 percent GPS and doesn't use any beacons. It also has track mapping so you can look at each line that you took per lap. It can even tell you over and understeer. They have three models to chose from. It's suppose to be way ahead of the Traqmate. Thanks
Old 01-03-2010, 02:45 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check what options you need to have to get all the features. I'm not convinced the GPS data is enough to help compare lines lap-by-lap... it's just not that accurate, IMO. Also, for the over-understeer mapping it'll likely require dual GPS. I've got no experience with it, and I'm certainly not saying it's a bad piece. Just saying you need to watch out for what comes standard and what other sensors you're going to want to add.

I bought an AiM MXL Pista and added the GPS module. It connects to the CAN bus via the OBD2 port and I can suck down all sorts of data and log it. You can also add individual sensors, but you really get a tonne of info from the CAN bus... and when you combine it with the GPS it's pretty damn cool. I emailed the AiM folks recently and they've added oil temperature (which was originally missing) and even added TPMS data now!
Old 01-03-2010, 03:10 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Check what options you need to have to get all the features. I'm not convinced the GPS data is enough to help compare lines lap-by-lap... it's just not that accurate, IMO. Also, for the over-understeer mapping it'll likely require dual GPS. I've got no experience with it, and I'm certainly not saying it's a bad piece. Just saying you need to watch out for what comes standard and what other sensors you're going to want to add.

I bought an AiM MXL Pista and added the GPS module. It connects to the CAN bus via the OBD2 port and I can suck down all sorts of data and log it. You can also add individual sensors, but you really get a tonne of info from the CAN bus... and when you combine it with the GPS it's pretty damn cool. I emailed the AiM folks recently and they've added oil temperature (which was originally missing) and even added TPMS data now!
Thanks for getting back. From what I've read the GPS is accurate to within inches for this system and the track mapping is standard. From what I've seen it looks like you have to add sensors for over and understeer. It's got a ton of features that are standard.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:25 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure I buy their GPS being any more accurate than anybody elses. The data they're working with from the satellite is the same for everybody. Just seems like there's too many factors to be able to show a 5ft difference in placement without significant interpolation of the data... which could be fine, but I don't see the data placing the car within inches each lap. My phone, the car GPS units, etc, all work okay -- the A-GPS on my phone can even tell me which side of the street I'm on usual... some days, with perfect conditions. The car unit can sometimes place me on the highway instead of the frontage road, etc.

Anyway, I'll get out of your way now and see if anybody has real experience with this unit. :-)
Old 01-03-2010, 03:45 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I'm not sure I buy their GPS being any more accurate than anybody elses. The data they're working with from the satellite is the same for everybody. Just seems like there's too many factors to be able to show a 5ft difference in placement without significant interpolation of the data... which could be fine, but I don't see the data placing the car within inches each lap. My phone, the car GPS units, etc, all work okay -- the A-GPS on my phone can even tell me which side of the street I'm on usual... some days, with perfect conditions. The car unit can sometimes place me on the highway instead of the frontage road, etc.

Anyway, I'll get out of your way now and see if anybody has real experience with this unit. :-)
Your not in my way. I just went to their website and it's pretty cool stuff. They claim that the GPS is accurate to within one inch. Track mapping looks like something I've never seen before from other companies and it works with chase cam to give synchro video.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:59 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Default I'm curious about this also...

Originally Posted by CodeBlack
I just went to their website and it's pretty cool stuff.
What's the url for their website?

Last edited by bobmoore2; 01-03-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:06 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Accuracy of one inch for GPS? That's pretty amazing that a company selling auto data devices could get better performance than the US military who put the GPS satellites in place.

Dog
Old 01-03-2010, 04:13 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Originally Posted by bobmoore2
I went to google and put in RLC racing and looked up the track commander and the other models and options I saw the article in grassroots motorsports magazine.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:15 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ithought GPS was 2-3 feet tolerances
Old 01-03-2010, 04:17 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Originally Posted by meldog21
Accuracy of one inch for GPS? That's pretty amazing that a company selling auto data devices could get better performance than the US military who put the GPS satellites in place.

Dog
I know. Maybe it's or maybe not but the company makes the claim
Old 01-03-2010, 04:17 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Actually, for geographical navigation the GPS system requires WAAS for the best accuracy; as in aviation. WAAS (wide area augmentation system) basically uses ground base transmitters that correct GPS information for receivers by analyzing the signal being received by it and the user's onboard receiver and corrects by whatever amount needed since the ground base KNOWS its location. Therefore, although accuracy is very good, it is not necessarily repeatable over a span of time to the same exact location without WAAS. Of course, if someone knows of a different system, please tell the FAA. They really need to save the money on WAAS. They are so hard up for money that they screwed me and over 2000 other employees out of a promised retirement in FSS.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:21 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Why GPS and not G-Force? GPS maps the track more accurately than G-Force. GPS is exact, each lap is independant and different from the next because each lap is different. With R.L.C.'s track mapping you can drive just one lap and get a track map, not ten like you have do with G-Force. If you were to only drive one lap with a G-Force sensor, your map would look like a big mess. G-Force makes you drive ten or so laps and then the PC software averages these laps to give you a track map that can be off as much as 30ft! Each lap will look identical to the next and all the information will be inaccurate. With GPS, your track map will be accurate to within inches not feet.
from their site
Old 01-03-2010, 04:23 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bobmoore2
http://www.rlcracing.com/
Old 01-03-2010, 04:32 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a lot of hype to me. First off it says that it can map the track within inches. It probably can with enough data. It certainly can't make a single pass within inches of accuracy ... if it can the military will buy it.

It also appears to be little more than something like a Palm or mobile PC. All of the input is "extra", from what I read and it isn't clear if it even comes with a GPS module. It just says it is GPS ready ... bla, bla, bla.

I think I would wait until someone actually has some experience with it.

It's suppose to be way ahead of the Traqmate
According to who?
John Adamczyk?
Old 01-03-2010, 04:53 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Originally Posted by rbl
Sounds like a lot of hype to me. First off it says that it can map the track within inches. It probably can with enough data. It certainly can't make a single pass within inches of accuracy ... if it can the military will buy it.

It also appears to be little more than something like a Palm or mobile PC. All of the input is "extra", from what I read and it isn't clear if it even comes with a GPS module. It just says it is GPS ready ... bla, bla, bla.

According to who?
John Adamczyk?
According to a known professional race car driver that I know. Apparently it is being used by quite a few people in the little research that I've done. Being in the technical field that I'm in we always have new system coming out. Yesterdays gear looks great and then somebody comes out with something new.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:35 PM
TDBurke
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GPS data is only good for comparing line within a session, if that, not within a day. Short of legitimate military systems which I highly doubt would be consumer budget friendly or consumer available, I don't think there is anything GPS based that is going to be accurate enough to compare line.
All the GPS systems are using the "same" signals, just like your mobile phone, its just what they do with it.

Data is only as good as the software and your usage of the gathered data within it.

I really like the race-technology DL1 for GPS based systems. The software is really good and defaults to a meaningful display when you look at it on your laptop.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:33 PM
az55
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=rbl;1572629491]

As with so much in life, everybody wants someone else to be first to try it.

I think it is a viable choice if you can easily afford it and are tech savvy. It has a cool display and good features.

If you are on a tight budget, consider a proven unit that is more economical. An added plus is that you can find plenty of others who already use it and have info and experience they can share.

I'm searching as well. The only reason I didn't buy the RLC is due to my lack of tech skills in analyzing data. I'm going to need a support network so I will probably go with one of the more popular models.

Cheers,
CV

Last edited by az55; 01-03-2010 at 06:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New data acquisition system

Old 01-03-2010, 07:13 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CodeBlack
According to a known professional race car driver that I know. Apparently it is being used by quite a few people in the little research that I've done. Being in the technical field that I'm in we always have new system coming out. Yesterdays gear looks great and then somebody comes out with something new.
spill your guts on your research!
Old 01-03-2010, 07:28 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Originally Posted by TDBurke
GPS data is only good for comparing line within a session, if that, not within a day. Short of legitimate military systems which I highly doubt would be consumer budget friendly or consumer available, I don't think there is anything GPS based that is going to be accurate enough to compare line.
All the GPS systems are using the "same" signals, just like your mobile phone, its just what they do with it.

Data is only as good as the software and your usage of the gathered data within it.

I really like the race-technology DL1 for GPS based systems. The software is really good and defaults to a meaningful display when you look at it on your laptop.
I'm not saying if your right or wrong but I would hope that you would read through the entire website before saying that it's not possible. I don't work for the company and I'm not defending them but my eyes and ears are always open to information. After all, the world isn't flat
Old 01-03-2010, 07:37 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use this and connect it to a NetBook PC with Bluetooth.
It works great and seems to be very accurate. Also gives you a lot of data and has many options. It just depends on what data you want.
Very inexpensive and works well. Still learning everything it can do but at it's simplest level of function it gives very accurate track mapping, speed, lateral G's, acceleration and braking G's and you don't even have to remeber to start and stop it. You program the speed to start and stoip and it figures it out from the GPS.

http://www.maxqdata.com/MQGPS.htm

Quick Reply: New data acquisition system