Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

World Challenge announces GTS class

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:50 PM
ddrim
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Challenge announces GTS class

SCCA Pro Racing and WC Vision have announced a new Grand Touring Sport class for 2010 for the World Challenge Championships.

SCCA Club Racing Touring 1 cars are a strong fit for the class.

Current teams and prospective entrants are being assisted through the transition by the SCCA Pro Racing Technical Staff. Full specifications will be published in the 2010 SCCA Pro Racing Rulebook which will be available second week of January 2010.

Additional inquiries can be made by contacting the SCCA Pro Racing offices at 785-357-7223 or by emailing Robert Story (SCCA Pro Racing) at RStory@sccapro.com and/or Dave Drimmie at WC Vision (davedrimmie@wcvision.com).
Old 01-09-2010, 06:15 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the info Dave. I am so temped by this, just to get out there and be part of the show, but the cost of admission is pretty steep for us "privateer" T1 guys. Hope this works out well for WC, which has been my favorite road racing series for years now.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 01-10-2010, 05:46 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I certainly would be interested in this once I get going in T1 and see how things were financially to make something of this. I like it.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:18 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

When I started WC in 93', there were 3 classes. It lasted 2 seasons, and left many of us with cars that weren't legal anywhere (pre-NASA by a long shot). While I want the series to continue, please realize that this is a desperate measure to get entries back into the series.

Over 2 years, thanks to pressure from BMW and Cadillac, the cost of building a traditional WC Vette more than doubled. Now very few can afford to build a competitive car, thus they rewrite the rules.

World Challenge has always been exciting GT racing, ie high power, high aero cars. I applaud SCCA for experimenting with ways to keep the doors open, but I really think a professional T1 series will not draw TV audience or live fans. Sooooo, while it is exciting to think that any T1 racer can go pro racing, I would seriously consider this a temporary opportunity to see how things run, but only hang around if you aspire to build a GT car.

And, because someone asked, these have always been sprint races (differentiated from Koni Challenge), so other than the higher entry fees and travel expenses, actual race related expenses should be similar to Club Racing. 2 short practice sessions, a 20minute qualifying session, and a 45minute race. I assume you would be running with TC or GT (or both), so you would likely never have the spotlight for long (unless the TV coverage improves greatly).

Always been my favorite racing, and not just because I competed in it for 10 years. But times are tough all around, and I think it best to keep that in mind when considering jumping in.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:19 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
When I started WC in 93', there were 3 classes. It lasted 2 seasons, and left many of us with cars that weren't legal anywhere (pre-NASA by a long shot). While I want the series to continue, please realize that this is a desperate measure to get entries back into the series.

Over 2 years, thanks to pressure from BMW and Cadillac, the cost of building a traditional WC Vette more than doubled. Now very few can afford to build a competitive car, thus they rewrite the rules.

World Challenge has always been exciting GT racing, ie high power, high aero cars. I applaud SCCA for experimenting with ways to keep the doors open, but I really think a professional T1 series will not draw TV audience or live fans. Sooooo, while it is exciting to think that any T1 racer can go pro racing, I would seriously consider this a temporary opportunity to see how things run, but only hang around if you aspire to build a GT car.

And, because someone asked, these have always been sprint races (differentiated from Koni Challenge), so other than the higher entry fees and travel expenses, actual race related expenses should be similar to Club Racing. 2 short practice sessions, a 20minute qualifying session, and a 45minute race. I assume you would be running with TC or GT (or both), so you would likely never have the spotlight for long (unless the TV coverage improves greatly).

Always been my favorite racing, and not just because I competed in it for 10 years. But times are tough all around, and I think it best to keep that in mind when considering jumping in.
i agree, no chance in hell adding a "T1" class to the mix will bring crowds/fans....however I think half the races the season are for larger weekends like IRL and ALMS which do bring lots of fans and crowds. With the lack of numbers in the WC group as of late, I think trying to keep a higher car count will keep it interesting for the fans. Then when you throw the local racers in the mix it helps out for the other races as well. 99.99% of the racing fan population do not know us club racers exist, regardless of the venue, racing fans are racing fans and a lot of times when they hear about a local racer in a "Pro" event, they want to check them out.

I don't know, there's a lot to this and I think it can either help the class, or do nothing. As it is, I may be looking at the Long Beach Grand Prix, and if I can pull some strings and get the car back to the Right coast for cheap, more may be on my menu
Old 01-11-2010, 08:58 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

David,
Thanks for your insights. I agree with your thoughts from my very limited perspective. If I went out, it wouldn't be for much more than the experience of doing it.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Knucklehead Racing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great idea whose time is overdue. Great opportunity to go pro racing the way this used to be run. I think they might lower fees similar to the fees for TC2 which were half of fee for TC?

Expenses will be the same as running a National event. No pit stops so you can really do it on your own or bring one guy to help.

Toyo tires which will prob be a little slower but they last fine. I have raced on them. Good news is you must race on the tires you qual on so tire costs will be good too. Prob start first race with 2 sets...one for practice and one for qual and race then as usual save the race set for the following events practice day.

Really good venues and you support the IRL racing which is always cool to watch live.

Makes for really fun weekends. Nothing like a standing start to get your adrenalin going!

Count me in!

Phil Di Pippo

Get notified of new replies

To World Challenge announces GTS class

Quick Reply: World Challenge announces GTS class