Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about 6 point harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:17 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions about 6 point harnesses

I would like some opinions on 6 point harnesses. I am installing Hardbar seat rails with Hardbar harness bar and a Sparco Corsa seat. I also plan on using a Defnder head and neck restraint system. So do I need a harness that is HANS compatible? I think I understand that both anti-sub straps come through the bottom of the seat but how and where do they position across your legs? What brands are preferred and other things to look for before buying? Any pics would be great. Thanks, Nathan
Old 01-13-2010, 07:29 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

This is from the Simpson web site

The sub straps come up in your crotch area and latch in to the cam lock.

a single sub strap will make you join the soprano section choir
Old 01-13-2010, 08:15 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

the belts should not need to be "hans specific". I agree that 6-pt is probably safer, but I miss the days of 5-point belts. MUCH easier to latch and more comfortable when your NOT crashing.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:22 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Schroth makes Hans compatible versions of their belts. For instance, the Profi II-6 I have also comes in a HANS version where the shoulder straps are 2" wide instead of 3". This allows the should strap to more correctly ride along the HANS collar as opposed to overlapping it a little bit with the 3" shoulder belt.

-Kevin
Old 01-13-2010, 10:53 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

That's exactly right. A "proper" shoulder harness belt for use with a HANS is 2" wide, instead of 3. I doubt it would matter much, but those are the facts.

As far as 6-point vs. 5-point...either way, I highly recommend a good "cup!!!" It makes driving much more comfortable!
Old 01-13-2010, 12:02 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
This is from the Simpson web site

The sub straps come up in your crotch area and latch in to the cam lock.

a single sub strap will make you join the soprano section choir
i guess u didnt see that post of the guy with a six point that got his ***** skinned
Old 01-13-2010, 12:02 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wtknght1
That's exactly right. A "proper" shoulder harness belt for use with a HANS is 2" wide, instead of 3. I doubt it would matter much, but those are the facts.

As far as 6-point vs. 5-point...either way, I highly recommend a good "cup!!!" It makes driving much more comfortable!
Old 01-13-2010, 12:03 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
the belts should not need to be "hans specific". I agree that 6-pt is probably safer, but I miss the days of 5-point belts. MUCH easier to latch and more comfortable when your NOT crashing.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:10 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyguns
i guess u didnt see that post of the guy with a six point that got his ***** skinned
I also wear a cup

a 5 point with ONE sub belt, would have just smashed his *****.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:28 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I also wear a cup

a 5 point with ONE sub belt, would have just smashed his *****.

Or squished them out the sides and pancaked his pecker.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:32 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

good to know about the HANS, but I guess that's why I prefer the R3
Old 01-14-2010, 12:36 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1

Actually, I have been to lectures with the inventor Dr. Melvin himself. HANS is designed with the 3" shoulder in mind not the 2". When specifically asked...Dr. M says the test results of 3" vs. 2" belts are exactly the same. 3" belts are what is required. 2" belts he said "are there to sell more belts" iirc. The real problem with 2" belts is that you can't legally run a 2" belt w/o wearing a hans which can be an issue when car sharing during enduros. The only time when the inventor himself would use a different shoulder belt arrangement is the 4 strap shoulder belt which is tested to work better. However, personally I find the mounting and use of the 4 shoulder system difficult but the most comfortable HANS belt system. It is also a Scroth belt.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:13 AM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I was making the six point harness harder than it is. I called Simpson yesterday and found out that the bolt in harness the hardware can be removed from the shoulder harness and used as a wrap around. Also was worried about being HANS compatible turns out 3" harness works just as well as 2" HANS compatible. It sucks that safety and design doesn't always mean as mush as good marketing.Because I was a little confused about what to buy 2" vs. 3" shoulder harness. I've used Simpson stuff before in my dirt car and never had any issues.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:15 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ssdeuce
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I was making the six point harness harder than it is. I called Simpson yesterday and found out that the bolt in harness the hardware can be removed from the shoulder harness and used as a wrap around. Also was worried about being HANS compatible turns out 3" harness works just as well as 2" HANS compatible. It sucks that safety and design doesn't always mean as mush as good marketing.Because I was a little confused about what to buy 2" vs. 3" shoulder harness. I've used Simpson stuff before in my dirt car and never had any issues.

Yes you got it right. But you should try a hans with the different belt designs. Some people have very boney shoulders. In my experience and talking to people the comfort of hans with the different belts goes 4 shoulder best, 2" next, 3" worst. 90% of people have never even seen a 4 shoulder and I bet you dinner no one near you has one to try. Most people use 2" belts with hans and are very happy and seems to be the best comfort compromise. I use the 4 shoulder and it feels like I'm not wearing the hans at all. Safetywise 2"=3"
Old 01-15-2010, 12:31 PM
0Finspeed
Former Vendor

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Take a look at this one, very comfortable and the HANS won't be buried in your collar bones upon impact:

http://finspeed.com/8PT-Double-Shoul...NS-04728TW.htm
Old 01-15-2010, 01:38 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Finspeed,

Very cool to see sparco making the 4 shoulder unit. Schroth used to be the only ones. Did sparco also adopt the hybrid cam for the 6pt individual subs? Thanks for posting this about this new sparco harness. It is also cheaper than the schroth unit
Old 01-15-2010, 05:25 PM
preston
Advanced

I have connected my 6 point sub belts through to the same anchors as the lap belts and fed them through the side holes in the seat. I sit on top of them and then latch them in.

Is this wrong ? Do I really need a new anchor point underneath the seat ? I thought you were supposed to use the lap belt mounting points.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about 6 point harnesses

Old 01-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Another question:
Where exactly is the cam lock / buckle supposed to sit? Right below your belly button? Lower?
Old 01-15-2010, 06:35 PM
0Finspeed
Former Vendor

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Finspeed,

Very cool to see sparco making the 4 shoulder unit. Schroth used to be the only ones. Did sparco also adopt the hybrid cam for the 6pt individual subs? Thanks for posting this about this new sparco harness. It is also cheaper than the schroth unit
Here is a pic of the cam setup:

The sub-belts are attached to the cam by a t-bar, a hybrid cam variation is being tested. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Daniel
http://www.finspeed.com/
Old 01-15-2010, 06:45 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by preston
I have connected my 6 point sub belts through to the same anchors as the lap belts and fed them through the side holes in the seat. I sit on top of them and then latch them in.

Is this wrong ? Do I really need a new anchor point underneath the seat ? I thought you were supposed to use the lap belt mounting points.
How many holes in your seat? you can't get adequate parachute/ climber rig if the subs are coming in through the lapbelt holes. Under those conditions you would add an anchor to the floor under the seat hole or rig between your slider area an anchor. Remember if you can't put a floor jack and jack your car from that anchor point (I.E. a big washer through the floorpan) then that is not a sufficient anchor point.

Quick Reply: Questions about 6 point harnesses