Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 or C6 for Autocross?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:58 PM
Trigger Creep
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default C5 or C6 for Autocross?

I could bet this has been asked before, but my search skills couldn't find any posts.

I want to star killing cones. Which model is best - C5 Z06 or C6 Z06?

I'd rather have a coupe, what are the drawbacks from modding a coupe instead of starting with a Z06? Doesn't everyone upgrade a bunch of parts on the Z06 suspension and brakes anyway?

Finally, 6 speed or auto? Are there any benefits from running an auto?

Post links to these discussions if you know them. Thanks!
Old 01-14-2010, 12:10 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well if money is no object the C6 is a better handling car by far. Now having said that you can mod a C5 to match up with an unmodified C6. C4's are surprisingly good at X cross because of the shorter wheelbase and torque curve. Have you track raced or do you think you may want to? If the answer to the first question is no, assume the answer to the second is yes. The C6 is more stable at high speed all things being equal to the C5. However one should cost you a lot more than the other.

Lastly 6 sp or Auto. A manual gives you control, your racing a car, if you have a choice and X-cross not daily driving is your first consideration why wouldn't you opt for more control. Answer 6sp.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:48 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my C6 Z06 but the C5 Z06 I sold was just as good an autox car. If you were starting from scratch, the C5 Z would be the way to go. Just as fast and much cheaper.

With respect to modifying a C5 coupe, it'll cost you more and won't ever be as good as a C5 Z.

On the other hand, a C6 coupe has potential and isn't afflicted with the too stiff rear sway bar that makes the C6 Z a bit of a handful.

You're going to run most of your events in second gear. Get a manual.

There are some really good discussions on SCCA Forums about the merits of each C5 and C6 platform. Start by looking through these:

For C5 Z http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/334487.aspx

For C6 Z http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/350404.aspx

Don't forget about the Grand Sport http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/387134.aspx

Enjoy.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:11 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Got to make sure we're talking about the same thing. For autox, I've only had one C6Z06 beat my '00 FRC, and that was by a driver that could beat me in a Yugo. C6Z has so much power it's hard to manage on your typical autox course. Of course, the driver in each car will be the main component for success.

Definitely get a manual. A C5 Z06 has the power and gearing to be an awesome autocross weapon.

Now, if you're actually thinking about a track car (i.e. high speed events on dedicated tracks), then a C6 Z06 will be a faster car.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-16-2010, 04:32 AM
Trigger Creep
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for opinions and the links. I was flying yesterday and didn't get to check in.

Thanks for the links Jim. I will start watching the posts on those forums.

I'm leaning towards a late C5 Z06 (02-04). This will keep the costs down for a while. It will eventually be a dedicated AutoX car, but will serve various duties at first. This will be a 2nd Vette and the 3rd toy in the garage.

I have no desire to bang fenders racing with others. It will be strictly for solo timed events. I raced amatuer 750 class superbikes in another lifetime and won't trust amatuers with my walking abilities.

VetteDrmr - Is Granbury still there? I worked on Camache Peak #2 just before they lit the fires on the nuke. Nice little town!

Last edited by Trigger Creep; 01-16-2010 at 04:37 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:16 AM
worldsaway
Racer

I have a '04 Z06 that I run in Super Stock. Incredible car on hoosier A6's. FWIW I also have an '87 C4 w/auto that I run in BSP. The Z is faster, but it's easier to drive the C4 fast. Check out how many C5Z's are in SS at nat'l's in lincoln, a very popular car.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:38 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Trigger Creep
VetteDrmr - Is Granbury still there? I worked on Camache Peak #2 just before they lit the fires on the nuke. Nice little town!
Yep, we're still here. Nothing glows in the dark, yet. Motorsports Ranch has been up and running for several years now, up in Cresson. Pate Museum is closing its doors due to funding withering away.

Probably had about 35,000 people in Hood county in '93 when unit 2 went on line, now we're probably in the mid-50s.

Good luck on finding a nice Z, you'll love the car!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

First thing you need to figure out is what club and what class you want to run in before you pick a car and start modding it. In SCCA the best weapon is an FRC in A/Stock. Very competitive car, where the C5Z and C6 coupe run in Super Stock and are outclassed by the Elise and the GT2 Porsche. If you want to run NCCC, there are lots of classes and lots of weapons of choice.

In either club it depends on if you want to run in a stock or a street prepared class. Pick the right car for the class and it is a lot more fun...
Old 01-16-2010, 08:39 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

I don't think the Z06 is outclassed in SS.

Yes the Elise is great, but only when driven by like Braun.

And now that we have the grip of Lincoln.....is the GT3 really that much better than the C5Z06.

And as to the FRC in AS------how about the newest Boxster S or that Boxter S Spyder ? (not sure if that car will be legal for AS)
Old 01-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by Trigger Creep
I have no desire to bang fenders racing with others.
Uh huh. Sure. Good luck with that.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:51 PM
hamdog
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

C5Z! I can't think of a better car for AX and roadracing for the money!
Old 01-17-2010, 02:58 PM
hamdog
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

C5Z! I can't think of a better car for AX and roadracing for the money!Here are a couple of good options:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 01-17-2010, 04:00 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would go with a C5Z also. I think the biggest plus is the initial cost. The car will do quite well in stock form especially if you are starting out as a novice. If you go on to modify the car, you will find that the C5 has been pretty well sorted out in terms of what works and what doesn't. Upgrade parts for suspension, brakes, and exhaust are all easy to find.

I think the manual has it over the auto especially on courses that have a combination of slow and fast sections. Jumping back and forth between 1st and 2nd in an auto can upset the car. Even a throttle-induced downshift can be a problem if you aren't ready for it.

Most of the people I run with that have Z06's will pretty much stay in 2nd gear and they shift out of 1st as soon as possible. Obviously course design plays a part in what gear you may use, but for most of the events around here, 2nd in a Z06 will allow for some pretty fast speeds.

As mentioned, look at the class structure and rules for what you can do to the car and what you can't. For starting out, go with some good pads, and an alignment. The key to being a novice in autocross is getting seat time. Most everyone will offer suggestions and tips and some will even off to give you a ride or ride with you (assuming the event rules allow riders)

This is a good read for Novice drivers.

There's a bunch of us in the PNW section that are autocrossers so you can ask away in that section too.

Of course, a Z06 will be fun at track days too. Pacific Raceway, PIR, Spokane, and Oregon Raceway Park have track days and are not far away. Even Thunderhill is only an overnight ride.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:13 AM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would vote for a LS3 C6 coupe. This last year was my first year autocrossing and not only dominated the novice class but also had the best times in all stock class in 4 of the 6 races last year. I still have lots to learn though and have not driven a C5Z or C6Z. Maybe I would be even faster in those cars. The one thing I do know though I have more than enough power to break the rear end lose coming out of any corner. I could not imagine the amount of power the C6Z has.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:25 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C6 GrandSport for autoX...
Old 01-18-2010, 05:22 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've autocrossed both and would not recommend either for a beginer. If you are dead set on autocrossing a Z06 then I suggest the C5. It's far easier to drive than the c6z. Plus setup and maintence costs are much less. I think you'll have just as much fun if not more in the c5.

But like I originally said, I think you would be better served starting off in something a little more forgiving at the limits.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Evilash
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can also just take whatever you are driving now if it isn't a truck.
Get a taste for it.
I would also get a manual. You will move on to the big track if you enjoy the AutoX for more than a year or two.
Boeing sold so many lots there isn't much left in the metro area to run like 10 years ago. www.WWSCC.org calendar has the slush series out in Shelton. Way too far to drive for 3 minutes of track time.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 or C6 for Autocross?

Old 01-19-2010, 09:02 AM
eschantra
Pro

My vote is for a C5Z if you're staying in SS. You get a wider rim than the non-Z06 C6 and it's both narrower and easier to get the power down than a C6Z. Of course, I might be biased a bit.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:06 AM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eschantra
My vote is for a C5Z if you're staying in SS. You get a wider rim than the non-Z06 C6 and it's both narrower and easier to get the power down than a C6Z. Of course, I might be biased a bit.
Don't know who you are but I hope to see you at the Fort Worth Tour this year!

Jeremy Foley
Old 01-20-2010, 12:49 AM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I know two serious Auto-X guys that went from C5 Z06's to C6 Z06's. Both love their new cars, but both will tell you that the C5 Z06 is a better Auto-X car. Now if you want to do track days, that's another story.

Quick Reply: C5 or C6 for Autocross?