Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Track Record at PIR by Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 08:39 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New Track Record at PIR by Corvette

Congratulations to Wayne Mc Keen!

He set a new Time Trial record of 1:02.356 is a C 5 framed/C 6 bodied Corvette.

For those who are not familiar with Phoenix International Raceway, and want an idea how fast this is, this is faster than a time Lou G. set in a GT-1 Corvette at 1:02.9~ four years ago.

This broke a TTR record set by Tom Glenn's Viper of 1:03.12.

Wayne Mc Keen is a member of ACR (Arizona Corvette Racing, a hardcore road racers club).

Last edited by 96solo; 01-14-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Congrats!

That is awesome.

I thought that track was closed right now for work on the crash wall and catch fence. This weekends SCCA Double National there was cancelled due to the construction not being done.

You guys should come and run the 2010 Cal Club Corvette Challenge Series by Speed Ventures.
Dates:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sout...-schedule.html

Rules and Classification:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sout...les-draft.html

Come break some So California track records, too.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:34 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Olitho
Congrats!

That is awesome.

I thought that track was closed right now for work on the crash wall and catch fence. This weekends SCCA Double National there was cancelled due to the construction not being done.

You guys should come and run the 2010 Cal Club Corvette Challenge Series by Speed Ventures.
Dates:

Come break some So California track records, too.

The new wall is up on the main straight. Nasa had no problems. What is SCCA problems, not enough entries?

Old 01-14-2010, 09:54 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sweet!

Pretty much what I was building until I realized I am not fast enough for such a car.

Rick
Old 01-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

Originally Posted by 96solo
The new wall is up on the main straight. Nasa had no problems. What is SCCA problems, not enough entries?

http://www.azscca.com/NewsEvents/ind...09084247189851

They didn't like rebar sticking out of the wall as shown in the picture. I'm not sure when the picture was taken, but it was Monday or earlier.

Did you guys have any exposed rebar like that while you were out there?

Congrats Wayne!
Old 01-14-2010, 10:21 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rob Burgoon
http://www.azscca.com/NewsEvents/ind...09084247189851

They didn't like rebar sticking out of the wall as shown in the picture. I'm not sure when the picture was taken, but it was Monday or earlier.

Did you guys have any exposed rebar like that while you were out there?

Congrats Wayne!
The photo was taken in November. No the new wall is up.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Due to construction at PIR - this event has been cancelled. The Arizona Region was notified regarding construction at the track Monday January 11, 2010 involving the catch fence around the oval.

The Arizona Region SCCA was required to cancel the Double National/Restricted Regional race at Phoenix International Raceway on January 16-18, 2010 due to an unforeseen safety issue caused by the catch fence renovation project currently underway at the facility. The region was made aware of the project and was told that the catch fence may be removed at the time of our event. However, on Monday January 11, 2010 we received a series of digital photographs that documented the current state of the project. The image that caused us the most concern was the image showing the front straight where the concrete portion of the wall is apparently due to be heightened. This immediately raised a safety concern due to the exposed rebar on the top of the wall. The images were forwarded on to Chief Steward Jack Kish and Arizona Deputy Executive Steward Mike Jennings for their review. Mike forwarded the information on to the national office for advice and due to the track situation the decision was made to pull the track certification and the event sanction. Without the ability to hold an event at the track, the region made the decision to cancel the event with the understanding that this decision would cause a significant loss of revenue for the region, cancelled registrations at the CalCub event the following weekend and a financial impact on competitors and workers planning to attend. The region is regretful that the amount of notice given the participants was very short as the situation was made clear to us only a brief number of hours prior to the decision to cancel and PIR has acknowledged it was their responsibility to inform the region about the situation. We hope that competitors will continue to race with the Arizona Region in the future and we will make every effort to reschedule this double national event as soon as possible.

The Cal Club race the following weekend has over 200 entries at this time. It should be good racing.

I did find these race lap times in the SCCA records for comparison:
GT1 00:58.262 MICHAEL LEWIS/ Poway, CA SD Jaguar XKR 01/16/06
T1 01:05.700 MICHAEL PETTIFORD/Louisville CO CO 2002 VETTE Z06 01/13/07
Old 01-14-2010, 11:47 PM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

AZ SCCA just cancelled this weekend over that photo.

It was 100% complete for your event? All the way around the track?

Edit: Oh you mean YOUR photo...

Last edited by Rob Burgoon; 01-14-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:53 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Good photo! Closer than I was to it. So sorry for the loss of income for the region. NASA had no incidents and felt it was fine to run. This is not to say SCCA didn't decide on the side of caution; a good thing.

Wayne's Corvette is NOT a GT-1 car. It is a C 5 based car. That's what makes this such a great acomplishment. Many believe that a sub 60 second lap is possible for this new car. This was done with new Hoosiers. Michelins for every Corvette so far has clearly dropped 2 seconds off the time at PIR.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:37 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Great run Wayne, wish I was able to run in AZ with you guys. Hope to see you in Utah!!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:58 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I saw this earlier in the week and was wondering if someone was going to mention it.
Congrats Wayne, see you in Utah.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:37 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Well, it's my job as PR Officer for ACR, but I would do it anyway.

Wayne is a great guy and had been quietly working on this car for a year. This was only it's second outing. As the setup gets better and Wayne gets comfortable with the car, it's only going to get better.

Look to see Firebird Main Track record fall next week.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:13 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Sweet!! I'll be out at PIR the first 2 weekends of Feb, HSR and SCCA...IT's doubtful my T-1 car will be ready for it, so I'll probably just be in my FF. Ran PIR a couple years ago though in the FF, such an awesome track even though it's small. My dad was coming off Nascar 4 in his 67 AP Vette counter steering onto the straight
Old 01-15-2010, 02:26 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Congratulations to Wayne Mc Keen!

For those who are not familiar with Phoenix International Raceway, and want an idea how fast this is, this is faster than a time Lou G. set in a GT-1 Corvette at 1:02.9~ four years ago.

Congrats on the new time....That is moving!

As for Lou's time there, that was probably 1996-1997 in a World Challenge LT1 Z28 on DOT tires. That would have been the last time we have ran there. I don't recall the last time we had a TransAm/GT-1 car at that track.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:49 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats Wayne !!! Glad things are working out.

Wayne will be going faster than that soon, wait until he gets some seat time in that monster.....Plus he/we have another couple things up our sleeves.....

I saw this earlier on mylaps too, meant to call Wayne but I have had some more important family matters consuming my time...
Old 01-15-2010, 05:15 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Congrats on the new time....That is moving!

As for Lou's time there, that was probably 1996-1997 in a World Challenge LT1 Z28 on DOT tires. That would have been the last time we have ran there. I don't recall the last time we had a TransAm/GT-1 car at that track.
Sorry Lou if I miss quoted, but Pete Creek got an email from you mentioning that and he shared that with me. I could be wrong.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:37 PM
wmckeenster
Racer

Thanks Ya'll for the kind words!

I owe a special thanks to Danny Popp for his continued help with design and car setup....it really is the car (not me), it is soooo awesome and easy to drive -> Thank you Danny!

Also thanks go out to Darrell and Nic at BDM Motorsports, Jason and Kevin at Katech Performance and Shirl and Pete Creek for their driving help and guidance. Thanks to all the ACR members for their inspiration and friendship!

Hope to see and meet ya'll at Nationals!

Old 01-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

So are you fast Arizona guys with your wickedly fast cars coming to run the 2010 Cal Club Corvette Challenge Series by Speed Ventures? Consider yourselves officially invited
Dates:

Old 01-16-2010, 09:28 PM
blkz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is she going to be there?

Get notified of new replies

To New Track Record at PIR by Corvette

Quick Reply: New Track Record at PIR by Corvette