Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6Z vs. 911 GT3 at the Glen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:05 AM
H1ghlndr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6Z vs. 911 GT3 at the Glen?

In case any of you have GT3 envy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHZLKbVIsuk

The GT3 is doing very respectable laps around Watkins Glen last fall. He is proud of his 2:13. At 5:02 in you will see a stock C6Z (me :-) passing him and gapping him by 5+ secs on his next lap (2:13). My only performance enhancers are Hoosiers (worn), Stoptechs and Halltech.

Enjoy!

Bob
Old 01-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Always nice to see a Porsche passed but he was driving the car like it only had one gear. The few times he did downshift, there was no heel-to-toe and he let the clutch out too late.

Mike
Old 01-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice run Bob. My 1st trip to Watkins Glen was also my 1st time running on Hoosiers and I managed to get a 2:13 as my best lap there three years ago. I wish I lived closer so I could go there more often and become more proficient on that course - its awesome! Mike
Old 01-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

The GT3's driver is adding seconds to his lap times with poor gear selection, particularly in turn 5A--the entry to the inner loop--and in turn 7--the Toe. Moreover, he regularly loses too much rolling speed by braking too late and by adding power too late.

Bob's putting more power down.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:37 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

All in the driver

I've passed a 997 GT3RS in my stock C6 Z51 on street tires at Laguna Seca. No excuse other than the driver

I bet you'd be quite quick if the guy gave you the keys to his GT3
Old 01-16-2010, 09:24 PM
blkz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Experience . Some people go out and just have fun but with his lack of heel and toe I'd say he's fairly new . I love all cars , even if I am faster .
Old 01-16-2010, 09:33 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Always nice to see a Porsche passed but he was driving the car like it only had one gear. The few times he did downshift, there was no heel-to-toe and he let the clutch out too late.

Mike
While I completely agree with your assessment of the GT3 driver in the video, my personal experience with a VERY qualified GT3 driver at NJMP yields similar results. We have been on track many times and I almost always manage to catch him and pass him (with my essentially-stock C6Z) in a 20 minute session.

Just so we don't misunderstand, this GT3 driver can drive. He has a national competition license and wide experience racing in SCCA and other venues, although not in the GT3 (which is just his track playtoy).

This is a friendly get-together of two guys that respect each other's abilities and enjoy playing on the track. Both cars have similar levels of track prep and when one of us sees the other on track, the loud pedal goes to the metal (or balsa wood, as the case may be).

The C6Z is simply a faster car.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 01-16-2010, 09:52 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by H1ghlndr
In case any of you have GT3 envy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHZLKbVIsuk

The GT3 is doing very respectable laps around Watkins Glen last fall. He is proud of his 2:13. At 5:02 in you will see a stock C6Z (me :-) passing him and gapping him by 5+ secs on his next lap (2:13). My only performance enhancers are Hoosiers (worn), Stoptechs and Halltech.

Enjoy!

Bob
Nice.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:57 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
.....The C6Z is simply a faster car.

Frank Gonzalez
Having driven both in anger I think the C6Z is a faster car on most tracks (Barber might be one where the GT3 would have an advantage - but not much). In the end it is a lot about the comfort/skill of the driver and his/her wilingness to risk the car for the last second of lap time.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:47 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I went against one on a very tight almost auto-x like course (Pocono east) a few years back when I first got my stock Z (on Hoosiers only) and while he couldn't catch and pass me, he was never too far from sight. This course has LOTS of small slow tight turns with minimal top speeds (so HP was not deciding factor). I was a little surpised how well his car kept up on some of the straits and through the kink he was right on top of me, but then when pulling on the main strait, I would pull away.

Meet up with another on the double infield at Pocono and he couldn't keep up, but then I did have him out horsed.

They are quick cars and can be driven very fast, they are also very attractive cars, but the Z always seems to come out on top. According to the magazines, he should have beat me hands down on the short, low speed twisty course, but that was not the case. Each lap I pulled more and more distance and that was on stock leafs and ride height.

Car is now on LG's and lowered...they have no chance!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

What's the horsepower difference between a C6Z and a GT3?
Old 01-20-2010, 11:38 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Falcon
What's the horsepower difference between a C6Z and a GT3?
Depends on the year of GT3 but they usually come with 385ish (at engine not wheels). We'll over 100+hp and gobs more torque. So kudo's to Porsche for designing a car that can do so much with so little, but then when you see the price tag it defeats the purpose.

Also, from what I hear GT3 motor is $25k and running at it's limit from the factory, so unlike the pushrod, you ain't getting 75hp-100hp with just a few grand in mods, if even possible at all. I think just exhaust systems alone are several thousand dollars with virtually no increase in power. So you buy one of these and you basically have as much as your going to get (big turn off after paying $100k).
Old 01-20-2010, 02:07 PM
shifter77
Drifting

I blow by 996 & 997 gt3/gt3rs all the time. Whats the big deal? The cup gt3 with sequencial is a different story.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:48 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

The couple of GT-3's that run at NHMS have not been a problem for me.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Steve Theodore
Melting Slicks

The C6Z is a bit easier to drive near the limit relative to the 996 or 997 GT3. That being said, I also agree that the C6Z is simply a faster car. I think a C5Z is a better comparison for a 996 GT3, with the 997 GT3 perhaps a step ahead of the C5Z.

It takes a hell of a driver to get everything out of any 911 variant, and certainly the GT3. I know a professional driver (Leh Keen) who is unbelievably fast in Porsches but, again, he races them professionally and has a lot of tracktime, experience, and talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wkTuLjkY70
Old 01-20-2010, 03:38 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
The C6Z is a bit easier to drive near the limit relative to the 996 or 997 GT3. That being said, I also agree that the C6Z is simply a faster car. I think a C5Z is a better comparison for a 996 GT3, with the 997 GT3 perhaps a step ahead of the C5Z.

It takes a hell of a driver to get everything out of any 911 variant, and certainly the GT3. I know a professional driver (Leh Keen) who is unbelievably fast in Porsches but, again, he races them professionally and has a lot of tracktime, experience, and talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wkTuLjkY70
Leh passed me in that old Supra Turbo he had and he blew my doors when he went by.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Steve Theodore
Melting Slicks

You wouldn't believe how excited the Supra community got every time Leh got behind the wheel of that car. Great memories, and the car is still available to him. We can always hope for an encore performance, but the Supra is relatively expensive to track at the level he drives at!

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z vs. 911 GT3 at the Glen?

Old 01-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
You wouldn't believe how excited the Supra community got every time Leh got behind the wheel of that car. Great memories, and the car is still available to him. We can always hope for an encore performance, but the Supra is relatively expensive to track at the level he drives at!
I've got video of that day somewhere on the computer. It was at Road Atlanta and he went into the grass to get around me during a time trail and later his transmission blew up going into Turn 1. What a fast car and a great driver.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:12 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am usually about on par with 996 Gt3s (the ones with great drivers are trouble, but that can be said about any car), I do find it pretty hard to keep up with 997s. They may not have power/weight of a corvette but their ability to plant the pedal down on the corner exit is impressive, assuming the driver is comfortable enough with the car to do it. I have a C5 with no power mods. you c6z guys should not have any problems though as far as lap times go vs a GT3 of any variety but make sure you bring good tires.

I wouldn't brag about passing a car with 100+hp advantage.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:22 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a buddy with a 05 gt3, and at pocono I would get him a little on the straights and he would catch up in the infield. He is a very good driver and now is on slicks, and Im still on streets. We will run this summer again at NJMP and see how much of a difference.

Quick Reply: C6Z vs. 911 GT3 at the Glen?