Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

autocross car: 84-90 vette or Miata?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 12:14 AM
Tikiman12
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default autocross car: 84-90 vette or Miata?

I'm starting to think about joining the local SCCA autocross group and i'd like to get another toy to run these events. Might even use the car on some road course events.

I know the Miata is the usual car for these types of events so thats y i'm thinking about getting ahold of one.

BUT the other option might be to get a c4 with l98 motor in it.

What would you choose and why? for me right now price is pushing me towards the cheaper miata.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:14 AM
fej
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't call the miata the "usual" car for autocross, but there are certainly quite a variety of class options to run those cars in. From bone stock to full aero with wide sticky tires. If that is the direction you want to go it would be worth checking out the SCCA forumsor other miata related sites to determine the best years to have (1.6 vs 1.8L?) for the class you choose.

As for the C4 vette, they can be competitive with good setup, but are by no means the "overdog" car in their class (ASP, AS now I think)

Fej
Old 01-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

As always, depends on the class you want to run in and if you want to modify the car.

The C4 goes down to B/S this year, and I'm not sure what it is going to be running against. It was a decent ride in the old A/S, and properly set up could run with the Hondas..

As for the stock C4's, the LT1 six speed cars from 93 tends to be preferred since it has a longer reach in second gear than the L98. With an L98 stick it is common to run into the "wall of jello" above 4500 rpm with a six speed, and that happens a lot in typical SCCA events, so you end up between gears where the LT motors just wind up a bit more. The automatic cars can get away with the L98, because second gear is taller, but with the gears in the auto, it isn't going to have as much rear wheel torque and be as strong down low in second gear a stick will be becuase of the tall gear.

The cost of tires and upkeep is a lot more for a Corvette than a Miata. Fact of life, if you want to go bigger it's gonna cost you, wheel bearngs, tires, and maintaining the car costs more than a Miata that will run for years with minor maint....
Old 01-18-2010, 10:59 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

seeing your posting this on a Corvette forum, I'd say you really want the Corvette.

C4's are fun cars at an autox

Read the rules before you buy and decide what class you want to run in.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:12 AM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you decide on a C4, pay more up front for a low milage one. There are alot of cheap, but beat to death C4s out there these days. You can quickly spend more on the car than its worth fixing up a worn out one.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Evilash
Pro

Miata, M edtion if you can find one. Had the Torsen diff in it. It was a great little car for the $3,000 I paid. Really slow over 60 though. But durable. I sold it with just under 200,000 miles on the stock engine, trans, rear end, suspension and clutch.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:09 PM
J Ritt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Miata.
Cheap, cheap, cheap.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:41 PM
Tikiman12
Drifting

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
seeing your posting this on a Corvette forum, I'd say you really want the Corvette.

C4's are fun cars at an autox

Read the rules before you buy and decide what class you want to run in.
well i'm asking in the corvette forum b/c i'm not on any miata forum lol.
Also i know corvettes from top to bottom.
But I figured I'd ask you guys who go run these events alot and see what your thoughts on the 2 cars would be.

as far as class I have NO IDEA lol. My thoughts were to get a miata and just run it stock with a few little odds and ends, wheels/tires intake and exhaust, hardtop. then strip the interior
Old 01-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Evilash
Pro

If you do go this route get 15x7 wheels so you can sell them to a spec guy later should you change your mind.
I ran 16's and the tire was just too thin. Trashed a rim on a raised road utility.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Jim_Harrison
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all gets down to whether you don't mind owning low power car. I've driven Miata's on an autox course and wasnt thrilled. My old C-3 is much more fun. A stock 89 Vette won the SCCA National Championships A-stock last year. C-stock where newer Miata's play was won by a Solstice.

Although sticky Hoosiers for a Vette are expensive, a Vette gets a lot of runs out of them compared to many cars.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:28 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tikiman12
as far as class I have NO IDEA lol. My thoughts were to get a miata and just run it stock with a few little odds and ends, wheels/tires intake and exhaust, hardtop. then strip the interior
just stripping the interior bumps you up into prepared

see what classes there are before buying
Old 01-18-2010, 03:35 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Always pick the class first if you want to win. If you just want to have fun pick the car first.

Also, pay really good attention to what Jim Harrison says. He runs with the big dogs.

Richard Newton
My C4 Stuff
Old 01-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Pylons
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Evilash
Miata, M edtion if you can find one. Had the Torsen diff in it. It was a great little car for the $3,000 I paid. Really slow over 60 though. But durable. I sold it with just under 200,000 miles on the stock engine, trans, rear end, suspension and clutch.
R package will be a better choice for the 1st gen era
Old 01-19-2010, 05:22 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Here's a national car for sale

http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/367755.aspx
Old 01-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Tikiman12
Drifting

O man there is alot more that goes into this then I thought. lol I might just pick up a cheap miata and run it stock at local autocross events for the fun of it. then later I might bump up and try harder events.

Becuase alot of people do autocross in the daily driver just for the fun of it right? Its not as hardcore competative as other SCCA events right? That is to say I stay with the little local events
Old 01-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Pylons
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tikiman12
O man there is alot more that goes into this then I thought. lol I might just pick up a cheap miata and run it stock at local autocross events for the fun of it. then later I might bump up and try harder events.

Becuase alot of people do autocross in the daily driver just for the fun of it right? Its not as hardcore competative as other SCCA events right? That is to say I stay with the little local events
absolutely...any Miata is going to be a good and fun autocrosser...at this point I wouldn't worry about getting the absolutely right car

you'll find a whole range of people at "little local events"...some serious folks who do a lot of national events and use the locals for testing/fun/seat time...some folks who only do local stuff but take it pretty seriously...and some folks who are just out to have some fun, turn the wheel in anger, and hang out with other car guys (and girls)
Old 01-19-2010, 07:29 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I love autocrossing my vette, but I've got an LT1. There are usually a ton of miata's and usually very few if any vettes (at least around here) and it seems everyone loves it when the vettes show up. I say go for the vette and burn some rubber. I think you'd have more fun...and that's what it's all about.

Get notified of new replies

To autocross car: 84-90 vette or Miata?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:33 PM
NMsharkracer
Drifting

Location: Formerly from the Great White North but now residing in the Desert Southwest NM (The Land of Dis-Enchantment?)

Buy Jim Harrison's C-3. It's a well set up national car and you'll have a
real Corvette.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:39 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Miata would be my vote :-)
Old 01-19-2010, 08:26 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I would get a c4 vette. You can then run with the SCCA or the local NCCC corvette clubs. You can do more racing that way. I run heavily with the Indiana region of NCCC. I do it mostlly for the fun of it, but also enjoy the competition with others. Although with runnig a C3 there isn't much competition for me. I have comtemplated trading my 76 for a 88+ C4 but haven't done any looking yet. I will run with the SCCA just as a test and tune for the vette, or take my 98 camaro out for a spin.

Quick Reply: autocross car: 84-90 vette or Miata?