Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Mid-Ohio events this spring?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 03:18 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Any Mid-Ohio events this spring?

Getting bored with my local tracks (NJ) and have never been to Mid-Ohio and it is a reasonable distance for me.

I am totally unfamiliar with the track and what groups run there. None of the groups I run with on the east coast have dates a mid-ohio. So for the veteran mid-ohio folks. Who runs there in the spring? Also, being unfamiliar with the geography, what is a realistic time of year to go (prefer 55f+). Don't want to travel 8 hours for a freeze out.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:31 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

if you find a saturday event there, you could always make a weekend of it and hit Beaverun motorsports complex on a "flat out Friday" as well. It's right off the PA turnpike on the way to Mid-ohio.
Not a HUGE uber-complex course, but it's something different.
www.beaverun.com
Old 01-21-2010, 03:35 PM
vincent ashton
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happened to Mid Ohio on the 10/10ths schedule? It was on there and now its not??
Old 01-21-2010, 03:48 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vincent ashton
What happened to Mid Ohio on the 10/10ths schedule? It was on there and now its not??
Still in mediation with the powers that be.......I know that Bill is trying, but it would for sure be a pair of weekdays not a weekend..if that matters....
Old 01-21-2010, 04:13 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by vincent ashton
I just did not feel that I could deliver on the dates they offered me on the first go around.
I am still going to work to get some Mid Ohio date(s) in 2010 but have not finalized it yet.

This one is a bit different for me to put together for a couple of reasons but I hope to get it scheduled.
It will NOT be a w/e this year for sure. Being realatively new, w/e's are not yet available to 10/10ths.

I have a lot of folks asking me to get Mid Ohio on the schedule and I love the track as well so I have not given up on this one at all.

Bill
Old 01-21-2010, 05:05 PM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

NASA Great Lakes will be there April 9-11. My guess is 55 and sunny...

http://www.nasagreatlakes.com/
Old 01-21-2010, 05:16 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

The Great Lakes region of NASA will be there a few times this Spring/Summer:

http://www.nasagreatlakes.com/
Old 01-21-2010, 06:50 PM
blkz
Pro

Check out their site under track rental . BMW club has an event in early April .
Old 01-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

CHIN usually runs there on Memorial Day weekend
Old 01-22-2010, 02:06 AM
Tourmgr1
Burning Brakes

Run with the NASA guys, always a good time and Matt (mrc24x) always brings the beer !
'sup Matt
Old 01-22-2010, 07:11 AM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

3 ***** Racing will be there on May 24. I just got the contract in the mail yesterday. Registration will be open this weekend. Expect pricing to be about $230 for the day, including lunch. We will have 4 run groups and each session will be about 20 minutes.

Thanks
Ken
Old 01-22-2010, 08:15 AM
The Bus
Pro

BeaveRun will have at least 10 track days from now until first of June. As stated it's only about 10 minutes off Pa Turnpike. A lot of evelation changes. As stated a short track about 1.5 miles long. Fun track. If you have any questions about track E Mail me directly at orawiecs33@comcast.net I've instructed there about 6 years.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:26 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Getting bored with my local tracks (NJ) and have never been to Mid-Ohio and it is a reasonable distance for me.

I am totally unfamiliar with the track and what groups run there. None of the groups I run with on the east coast have dates a mid-ohio. So for the veteran mid-ohio folks. Who runs there in the spring? Also, being unfamiliar with the geography, what is a realistic time of year to go (prefer 55f+). Don't want to travel 8 hours for a freeze out.
BMWCCA Buckeye runs there twice a year that I know of, August and October 2010 (October can be COLD) and Audi is there in early July.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:05 AM
l8_apexer
Instructor

Having been going to Mid Ohio for the past 24 years--- avoid April. 75% of the time it rains, is cold, and have been there with snow covering the track too!

If you want to play the odds, wait until at least mid-May or early June. September is usually a great time to go-- beautiful weather and typcially a dry month. Many PCA chapters hold events there.

Check out motorsports.reg it is a great site and list darn near all events going on by all clubs at almost all tracks.

The other suggestions to hit BeaveRun and catch a flat-out friday are excellent-- it is on the way is a new track, fun, and adds spice to the trip.

Mid-O is a driver's track-- very technical and quite challenging. Lots of elevation changes, blind corners, and fun combinatons.

You may want to check out Mid-Ohio's website, they usually have a calendar posted with clubs running events listed.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:12 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Thanks for all the information guys, going to do my best to get out there this year and try something away from the east coast.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:01 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Jersey - I live in Harrisburg PA area...want to do a road trip? I could probably be persuaded to do some combination of these events:
- Friday May 21 - Fun Day (open track) at Nelson Ledges
- Sat/Sun May 22/23 - SCCA at Mid Ohio
- Mon May 24 - 3Balls at Mid Ohio

I've never driven Mid-O but have walked it. It looks awesome. I have driven Nelson twice. Their Friday Fun Days are wide open - very little structure other than point bys and no passing in corners. As much track time as you can handle. Its cheap. Its a bumpy track though.

I have driven Beaver Run once and greatly enjoyed it, its better than Nelson IMO. But they don't have their 2010 schedule posted yet. Even if they did, their Friday fun days are strange. They basically split the day in half (novice, intermediate in the AM), (Advanced in the PM) - so you don't get a lot of track time (at least I didn't back when I was a novice). And they are very picky about proving you belong in Advanced (need to come up thru the ranks of their training program or be able to prove you have a competition license or equivalent). If I lived in the Pittsburgh region I'd be there all the time, but I don't and to me it seems hard to get much track time there.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:11 PM
earthman01
Instructor

Chin MS - 31 May/1June. Chin is a great outfit to run with - MAX track time for the money. You'll like it.

Get notified of new replies

To Any Mid-Ohio events this spring?

Old 01-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by WNeal

I have a lot of folks asking me to get Mid Ohio on the schedule and I love the track as well so I have not given up on this one at all.

Bill
Old 01-22-2010, 03:14 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by argonaut
Hey Jersey - I live in Harrisburg PA area...want to do a road trip? I could probably be persuaded to do some combination of these events:
- Friday May 21 - Fun Day (open track) at Nelson Ledges
- Sat/Sun May 22/23 - SCCA at Mid Ohio
- Mon May 24 - 3Balls at Mid Ohio

I've never driven Mid-O but have walked it. It looks awesome. I have driven Nelson twice. Their Friday Fun Days are wide open - very little structure other than point bys and no passing in corners. As much track time as you can handle. Its cheap. Its a bumpy track though.

I have driven Beaver Run once and greatly enjoyed it, its better than Nelson IMO. But they don't have their 2010 schedule posted yet. Even if they did, their Friday fun days are strange. They basically split the day in half (novice, intermediate in the AM), (Advanced in the PM) - so you don't get a lot of track time (at least I didn't back when I was a novice). And they are very picky about proving you belong in Advanced (need to come up thru the ranks of their training program or be able to prove you have a competition license or equivalent). If I lived in the Pittsburgh region I'd be there all the time, but I don't and to me it seems hard to get much track time there.
Sure! Thanks for the offer, but I prefer not to run with the SCCA. I have done it a few times and it was not too good. They can run a race event, but not too good at HPDE.

Chin, BMW, Porsche, NASA are all good in my book!
Old 01-23-2010, 04:16 PM
jawfixer
Instructor

Default Blue Z

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Still in mediation with the powers that be.......I know that Bill is trying, but it would for sure be a pair of weekdays not a weekend..if that matters....
Hey Raftracer-you are spending too much time here and not enough on the 03 Z-lol

Quick Reply: Any Mid-Ohio events this spring?