Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does T1 C5 corvettes have to be ZO6's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 01:37 AM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does T1 C5 corvettes have to be ZO6's?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I am in the market for a dedicated track car that I would like to race one day soon. My question is. Does it have to be a C5 Z or can you use a coupe for T1? What about the 99 and 00 FRC or does it have to be 02 or newer Z because of the 405 Hp. Also do you think a CTS V would be a good car and any thoughts on T2 for racing it. Thanks a lot in advance. There are some strong racers on here and I'm looking forward to learning.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:40 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It doesn't have to be a Z06......there are allowances in the rule book to 'convert' to Z06 spec with the right LS1-6 upgrade parts...........
Old 01-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

Thanks for the info. There are a lot of nice C5's out there. I have my eye on a 99 with 45k for 12,500. There are some ZO6's at that price range but double the miles. What do you think would be better? A 99 with 45k or an 01 ZO6 with 110k?
Old 01-23-2010, 06:25 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are converting to a race car, it won't matter.........you would want a new 04 crate motor.........
Old 01-23-2010, 06:28 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Pick either one and put in a New crate engine, update the suspension.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:08 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,922 Likes on 5,328 Posts

You would want to stay with the FRC body style as the coupe back glass adds weight right where you don't want it.

Bill
Old 01-24-2010, 10:25 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Couple thoughts:
- If I were going to go T1 again, I'd buy a prepped car vice having one prepped. Buying and prepping a car is more expensive than buying one already prepped.
- The C5 weight has come down over the years to keep it competive in T1. Now stands at 3180 lbs with driver. Most are having a real tough time getting the car/driver down to minimum weight. The C5 Z06 has many features that make it lighter than the C5 coupe that you can't overcome. Your car will likely be too heavy if you get a coupe.
- As mentioned above, if you are going to track your car, the "donor" car age/wear really doesn't matter. I've replaced almost every single part on my car over the years including the frame. At this point, I'm not even sure what is original on my car anymore.
- CTS-V isn't raced by many in T2. Most consider it overweight and the SCCA hasn't lowered its weight to keep it competitive.
- I would recommend you go to an SCCA race and watch and talk to the competitors. I did this three times and found it eye opening.
- I would recommend you go to the scca's website (www.scca.com), click the "club racing" link on the top, then the "cars and rules" link on the left, then download and read the "touring car" (not improved touring) section before you spend any money.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 01-24-2010, 11:45 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doing track prep on a 99 FRC in T1 trim getting ready for CMP in a couple weeks. It ran at Road America in Sept.

Buy a track prepped car - even a well worn one is easier (cheaper) then converting a street car.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:53 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Subdriver
Couple thoughts:
- If I were going to go T1 again, I'd buy a prepped car vice having one prepped. Buying and prepping a car is more expensive than buying one already prepped.
- The C5 weight has come down over the years to keep it competive in T1. Now stands at 3180 lbs with driver. Most are having a real tough time getting the car/driver down to minimum weight. The C5 Z06 has many features that make it lighter than the C5 coupe that you can't overcome. Your car will likely be too heavy if you get a coupe.
- As mentioned above, if you are going to track your car, the "donor" car age/wear really doesn't matter. I've replaced almost every single part on my car over the years including the frame. At this point, I'm not even sure what is original on my car anymore.
- CTS-V isn't raced by many in T2. Most consider it overweight and the SCCA hasn't lowered its weight to keep it competitive.
- I would recommend you go to an SCCA race and watch and talk to the competitors. I did this three times and found it eye opening.
- I would recommend you go to the scca's website (www.scca.com), click the "club racing" link on the top, then the "cars and rules" link on the left, then download and read the "touring car" (not improved touring) section before you spend any money.
Doing track prep on a 99 FRC in T1 trim getting ready for CMP in a couple weeks. It ran at Road America in Sept.

Buy a track prepped car - even a well worn one is easier (cheaper) then converting a street car.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:31 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

I will admit having a mostly complete parts car available has been a boon with this used racecar. Pulled the gas door release from the wreck and put it in today - the one on the car had ceased to function well. Since the car can only be filled to the halfway point due to some previous damage the door gets used after every track session.

But the important part is the drivetrain and driveline are fresh with, it looks like, a Phoenix cage. The little stuff will happen with all cars.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:40 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
I will admit having a mostly complete parts car available has been a boon with this used racecar. Pulled the gas door release from the wreck and put it in today - the one on the car had ceased to function well.
forget the gas door latch, move the driver door latch over.

I'm sick of coming over to get it unstuck when mike's in the car dropping F bombs about said door latch
Old 01-24-2010, 06:19 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Not sure where you're from but I'd suggest you talk to Joe at Phoenix Performance in Phoenixville, PA. One of the top T1 prep shops in the country. Even if you're too far away to have them do the work they might save you some time and trouble. They also might have a line on where to buy an already prepped car.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:25 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by drivinhard
forget the gas door latch, move the driver door latch over.

I'm sick of coming over to get it unstuck when mike's in the car dropping F bombs about said door latch
You know it works fine for everyone else! I have left it since it does seem to focus his anger on an inanimate object. (though I plan to have it at CMP in case)

Remember how loud it was? The x pipe is in at least three pieces. Downside to a nonstreet legal car is I now have to trailer to my stainless welder/exhaust guy...

Get notified of new replies

To Does T1 C5 corvettes have to be ZO6's?

Quick Reply: Does T1 C5 corvettes have to be ZO6's?