Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Column Lock Removal for a Track Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 10:11 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Column Lock Removal for a Track Car

I'm converting my '99 C5 to a track only car. I have completely removed the column lock assy and associated hardware.
I have HP Tuners and have gone in and set it for Column Lock "Not-Installed" and set the fuel cut off for 256mph. The car now runs regardless but......
The problem is I still get a "Service Column Lock" error on the DIC.

What have others done for track only cars?
Is there anyway to clear (and keep from returning) this error from the DIC?
I'm assuming I have to do something to the BCM but not sure what is the easiest cure.
Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-24-2010, 08:37 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by geerookie
I'm converting my '99 C5 to a track only car. I have completely removed the column lock assy and associated hardware.
I have HP Tuners and have gone in and set it for Column Lock "Not-Installed" and set the fuel cut off for 256mph. The car now runs regardless but......
The problem is I still get a "Service Column Lock" error on the DIC.

What have others done for track only cars?
Is there anyway to clear (and keep from returning) this error from the DIC?
I'm assuming I have to do something to the BCM but not sure what is the easiest cure.
Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-25-2010, 10:36 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Corvette's of Houston sells a bypass relay ($50) that you can plug into where to motor was plugged in and it will think the column lock is working properly.
http://www.corvettesofhouston.com/pr...products_id=54
They also have a little fix on there instructions if the "service column lock" or "pull key wait 10 sec" message comes up that you should remove the key, and fuse number 25 and number 29 from the passanger footwell fuse box, wait 1 minute and re-install. This basically resets the BCM.

Best of luck
Old 02-03-2010, 05:31 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Default EUREKA! I figured it out!

OK. I ended up figuring out the circuit myself and building a bypass that would allow me to completely remove the mechanism on the steering wheel. (saved 2lbs up high)
I wired it in at the Body Control Module (BCM) because I have pulled out any un-needed wire to save weight. So far I have removed about 30 lbs of wire and un-needed relays and fuses. Also by mounting the relay near the BCM I could keep that weight lower as well. (It all adds up!)
Hopefully this will help someone else.

The parts needed cost less than $17 from Newark.com including shipping and tax.

(1ea) DPDT Latching 12v Relay, you could use a SPDT but they are hard to find and usually cost more.
http://www.newark.com/magnecraft/785...lay/dp/16M1137

(2ea) 1N4001 1amp Diode
http://www.newark.com/nte-electronic...64?Ntt=10M8464

You need to find 4 wires on the BCM. There are 3 connectors. When looking at it still mounted, the bottom connector contains the A pins and the top one contains the C and D pins.
You need to locate :
A6 (purple) Unlock
A8 (orange) Lock
C15 (lt. green) CL feedback to BCM
D14 (green) time switched ground

Wire the anodes (end without the stripe) of both diodes, pin 5 (reset - ) and 7 (pole #1) of the relay all to a ground point in the car.

Wire the cathode (striped end) of 1 diode and the Orange lock wire (BCM pin A8) to pin B (set +) on the relay.

Wire the cathode (striped end) of the other diode and the Purple unlock wire (BCM pin A6) to pin 8 (reset +) on the relay.

Wire pin 1 of the relay (normally open #1) to the lt. green wire (BCM pin C15)

Wire pin A of the relay (set -) to the green wire (BCM pin D14)

If wired like described, then the timing will work and the BCM will get the position information at the right time. It is possible to get the position reference ground triggered to soon and this will give you the "Pull Key and wait 10 sec. message, darn computer is just a little to smart.
If you don't use D14 and just wire to the ground in the car, like some people have described or shown you will get the "Pull Key " message intermittently.
This is the reset described in the post above.

Last edited by geerookie; 02-03-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: typo's
Old 02-03-2010, 10:44 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

AWESOME! But now I have yet another project for my track car. Thanks for posting this. I'll give it a try in a couple of months.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

to-do list
Old 02-04-2010, 09:00 AM
geerookie
Drifting

When I removed the CL, I also removed the windshield wiper switch.
I just wired the wipers to a 2-way switch on my dash. Now I don't accidently turn on the wipers either:o
Old 02-04-2010, 10:38 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

When I removed the CL, I also removed the windshield wiper switch.
I just wired the wipers to a 2-way switch on my dash. Now I don't accidently turn on the wipers either:o
I am so electronics "dumb"! Which wires can you by pass to do that? Are you using a single pole double throw switch you mean (3 position switch)? I'm running a grant removable steering hub w/o a spacer. Sometimes I hit my wipers too. I need that modification too. I actually tried to heat and bend one of those stalks but there is metal in there or something and I could not bend it away from my hand.

Do you think you can figure out a way to wire the traction control switch so that TC is always off? Sometimes I forget to turn it off and I'm feeling for a switch in the heat of battle after I have lost a position for being stupid yet again!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:42 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

very
Old 02-04-2010, 11:52 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I am so electronics "dumb"! Which wires can you by pass to do that? Are you using a single pole double throw switch you mean (3 position switch)? I'm running a grant removable steering hub w/o a spacer. Sometimes I hit my wipers too. I need that modification too. I actually tried to heat and bend one of those stalks but there is metal in there or something and I could not bend it away from my hand.

Do you think you can figure out a way to wire the traction control switch so that TC is always off? Sometimes I forget to turn it off and I'm feeling for a switch in the heat of battle after I have lost a position for being stupid yet again!
I will have to go back and check everything I did for the wipers and then do a write up on it. I used a 3 position switch, off in the middle. Up is high and down is low, I'm thinking about adding intermittent also but it's not at the top of my list right now.

TC off is pretty easy. The problem is turning TC and AH off. I haven't figured out how to do it yet and still have the ability to turn it back on if wanted. Disabling both is simple but then you can't use it anymore.
I will also do a post about TC/AH when/if I figure it out. Should be soon.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:25 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I am so electronics "dumb"! Which wires can you by pass to do that?
I have it done in my car.

On/Off switch. Figure you will only need high. But you have to wire in a resistor cause the wipers do that 'pop up from the cowling' thing when you turn them on, then pull back down when you shut them off.

It's simple... i'll show you next time.

You gonna make willow?
Old 02-04-2010, 01:26 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

TC off is pretty easy. The problem is turning TC and AH off. I haven't figured out how to do it yet and still have the ability to turn it back on if wanted.

Disabling both is simple

but then you can't use it anymore.
I will also do a post about TC/AH when/if I figure it out. Should be soon.

How? doesnt the fuse kill ABS also?
Old 02-04-2010, 04:46 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by ryan0
How? doesnt the fuse kill ABS also?
Yes the fuse kills both/all.
I don't know of a fuse to just disable TC/AH only. TCS and ABS are very integrated.
There are a few ways to disable AH without affecting ABS.
If you want to disable AH only you can unplug the YAW sensor (under/behind the AC controls in the dash) or the Lateral Accelorometer (under the passenger seat). Doing this will leave TC and ABS working. These are removed in my car.

You can short the brown/white wire of the TC switch to ground and keep it that way. This will disable TC as long as you had it on when you shorted the wire to ground. If it was off it will be turned on until the short to ground is removed.

You can disable torque managment with a tuner program but I still haven't figured out if you can disable TCS.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:10 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

There are a few ways to disable AH without affecting ABS.
If you want to disable AH only you can unplug the YAW sensor or the Lateral Accelorometer. Doing this will leave TC and ABS working.

You can short the brown/white wire of the TC switch to ground and keep it that way. This will disable TC as long as you had it on when you shorted the wire to ground. If it was off it will be turned on until the short to ground is removed.
So unplug a sensor.. and short the TC wire? What does the DIC say if you do this?

You can disable torque managment with a tuner program but I still haven't figured out if you can disable TCS.
you cant
Old 02-04-2010, 05:23 PM
geerookie
Drifting

So unplug a sensor.. and short the TC wire? What does the DIC say if you do this?
If you do nothing, it will say, "Service Active Handling" but you can tell it not to report those DTC's, then nothing.
Since TCS is actually off the icon on the dash will be lit unless you program it not to light.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:00 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

If you do nothing, it will say, "Service Active Handling" but you can tell it not to report those DTC's, then nothing.
Since TCS is actually off the icon on the dash will be lit unless you program it not to light.
nice... gonna try it later.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:59 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

You gonna make willow?

Yes! I'll run regionals

Get notified of new replies

To Column Lock Removal for a Track Car

Old 02-04-2010, 07:49 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TC off is pretty easy. The problem is turning TC and AH off. I haven't figured out how to do it yet and still have the ability to turn it back on if wanted.
Didn't ATI offer a circuit with a 555 timer that effective held down the button automagically when you turned the car on? The guy that sells the InvisiCords for the radar detectors has built such a circuit for himself but didn't seem keen to productize it...

Anyway, since it just holds the button when you turn on the power, your actual AH/TC button works after that should you want to turn stuff back on for any reason.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:26 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Didn't ATI offer a circuit with a 555 timer that effective held down the button automagically when you turned the car on? The guy that sells the InvisiCords for the radar detectors has built such a circuit for himself but didn't seem keen to productize it...

Anyway, since it just holds the button when you turn on the power, your actual AH/TC button works after that should you want to turn stuff back on for any reason.
Yes they do/did. I could do the same thing but in my case I want it always off since I have removed everything for AH anyway. The one I'm trying to figure out is TCS.
I'm looking for a simpler solution than the 555 circuit.
I'm going to try and do something with a relay. I just have to find the right internal circuit in the car to do the timing for me.
It would be really cool if I could make it work off the unused side of the relay I used to solve the CL problem!
A few beers and a little time in the shop this weekend, then maybe
Old 03-20-2011, 08:49 PM
NV MY C5
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Thanks

Did this mod last weekend, worked great. Thanks for posting!!!

Quick Reply: Column Lock Removal for a Track Car