Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Were to start

Old 01-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Were to start

I have a 04Z that I modded over the years and I might have went over board.I started out with a street car that was going to see occasional drag track but I love handleing so I started. Now I have a blower motor and all goodies around it,tex clutch,DTE brace ,a full Pfadt coil overs,fatty race bars ,and a street/race alighnment.How should I start roadrace or autocross, time trials by my self,I'm afraid of being put into a class I can't handle,Any suggestions.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:09 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They will start you in a beginners group. It has nothing to due with your car or HP. The only thing you need to handle id yourselt. By that I mean learn before you wrap it up. In a rush right now others will chime in or I'll be back later.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:22 PM
ace996
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I'm very excited for you...as those first few times on track are really amazing!!!
Funny, I also had my first day on track (Limerock) with a supercharged Z06 (maggie'd 02) and it was a handful, but fun.

Go here...http://www.pdadrivingschool.com/article.php?id=2
read up and then check the schedule for an event you'd like to attend. Let us know...several of us are instructors...and we'll walk you through the day.

You'll need to flush your brake fluid and some other little things but the big one is you'll need a helmet (if you don't have one already).

Any other questions, PM or post here.

Be good,
TomK
Old 01-25-2010, 08:17 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If you choose to autocross, you will be put into a modded class against other modded cars. It will take seat time before you will be able to compete with the others. So in the beginning, don't worry about the other people. The main thing is to have fun! Just keep improving youself and eventually you can be as good as the other drivers.

I think if you get involved with NCCC, you would be put into class 3N (i am not sure if the coilovers are allowed there) with the new ZR1 and all othe cars with blowers. To run a high speed event (time trials at a road course), you will need to have a roll bar in the car, but for the normal low speed autocross, it's not required.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,911 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by vettehardt
If you choose to autocross, you will be put into a modded class against other modded cars. It will take seat time before you will be able to compete with the others. So in the beginning, don't worry about the other people. The main thing is to have fun! Just keep improving youself and eventually you can be as good as the other drivers.

I think if you get involved with NCCC, you would be put into class 3N (i am not sure if the coilovers are allowed there) with the new ZR1 and all othe cars with blowers. To run a high speed event (time trials at a road course), you will need to have a roll bar in the car, but for the normal low speed autocross, it's not required.
In NCCC the Novice class is probably the first place he would be placed. No separation due to type of car only categories are Men and Ladies.

Starting by doing some autocrosses would help get him atuned to controlling the throttle. Better to learn how to limit the movement of his foot at slow speed than at high.

Bill
Old 01-25-2010, 09:01 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Regardless of your aspirations, please treat yourself to a professional driver's school like Bondurant or Spring Mountain. THAT is where your driving improvement will come from.....(and it will be in someone elses car;-)
Old 01-26-2010, 08:02 AM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Regardless of your aspirations, please treat yourself to a professional driver's school like Bondurant or Spring Mountain. THAT is where your driving improvement will come from.....(and it will be in someone elses car;-)
This is what I'M thinking,I don't want to wrap up my car and for what I have in it this is a small price to pay.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:20 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,079 Likes on 653 Posts

Hey Dave,
We can contact you when ECS has one of our track days NJMP, you will need an instructor in the car for the first few days out, and either Chris or myself can do that with you. This way besides getting acclimated to the track, we can show you how to keep a high HP car happy on track better then an instructor who drives a Mazda.

I believe the first day at NJMP is March 29th, and also another one in July, I'll have to look up the actual date for you. Let me know if you would like to come.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Hey Dave,
We can contact you when ECS has one of our track days NJMP, you will need an instructor in the car for the first few days out, and either Chris or myself can do that with you. This way besides getting acclimated to the track, we can show you how to keep a high HP car happy on track better then an instructor who drives a Mazda.

I believe the first day at NJMP is March 29th, and also another one in July, I'll have to look up the actual date for you. Let me know if you would like to come.
Please Doug do that its your fault my car is so fastits the least you can do
Old 01-27-2010, 03:24 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321

Originally Posted by Dave concrete
Please Doug do that its your fault my car is so fastits the least you can do
Um... sorry.

The July date is the 16th, which is a Friday.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:33 PM
cjlaw73
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Dave,

So which of you rides with me?

Old 01-27-2010, 05:19 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Originally Posted by cjlaw73
So which of you rides with me?

Check our thread on DefNder neck braces Charlie.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Um... sorry.

The July date is the 16th, which is a Friday.
Don't tell me I need to wait to JulyThere must be another venue.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:54 AM
DOUG @ ECS

Originally Posted by Dave concrete
Don't tell me I need to wait to JulyThere must be another venue.

We have a March 29th date there as well Dave, I just didnt have the schedule in front of me.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:22 AM
cjlaw73
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check our thread on DefNder neck braces Charlie.

Does ECS sell bumpers to go around the entire car like a bumper car?
Old 01-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Now should I keep my PS2's on or buy a better track tire?

Get notified of new replies

To Were to start

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Were to start