Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header effects?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 04:22 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header effects?

Recently the CRB allowed the C5s to upgrade to headers in class T1. I personally think it was a good idea. There's been a lot of debate regarding just how much extra power headers provide to both a stock vette and one running an already open exhaust.

I'd like to get some feedback from those who added headers to a car that already had an open exhaust (i.e. no cats, no mufflers, etc). I'm looking for actual HP/TQ increase numbers on a relatively stock LS1 or LS6 engine (between 350 and 425 rear wheel hp).

The other issue that came up was the sound level. I have a very strong feeling that adding headers to an open exhaust will send many C5 owners over the 104 db limit. If you have any of that info, it would be helpful.

I don't want to get into any arguments regarding "for" or "against" these mods; I'm just looking for raw, basic data. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2010, 04:27 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wtknght1
I have a very strong feeling that adding headers to an open exhaust will send many C5 owners over the 104 db limit.
i know that locally, the 103db limit is a 'recommendation'... is it not like that in other divisions?
Old 01-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Recently the CRB allowed the C5s to upgrade to headers in class T1. I personally think it was a good idea. There's been a lot of debate regarding just how much extra power headers provide to both a stock vette and one running an already open exhaust.

I'd like to get some feedback from those who added headers to a car that already had an open exhaust (i.e. no cats, no mufflers, etc). I'm looking for actual HP/TQ increase numbers on a relatively stock LS1 or LS6 engine (between 350 and 425 rear wheel hp).

The other issue that came up was the sound level. I have a very strong feeling that adding headers to an open exhaust will send many C5 owners over the 104 db limit. If you have any of that info, it would be helpful.

I don't want to get into any arguments regarding "for" or "against" these mods; I'm just looking for raw, basic data. Thanks!

I ran stock headers on Friday with 368, 369 and 371 HP readings from the dyno. That afternoon we installed headers and did a retune and the car went to 414 HP/404 torque. I picked up 3.7 seconds on a roughly 1:50 second track on Saturday.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:09 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, thats a huge gain!
Old 01-25-2010, 05:25 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
I ran stock headers on Friday with 368, 369 and 371 HP readings from the dyno. That afternoon we installed headers and did a retune and the car went to 414 HP/404 torque. I picked up 3.7 seconds on a roughly 1:50 second track on Saturday.

Cheese and Rice Oli!!!!! Thats impressive on both parts. Thanks for sharing and will have to let you know what my stuff is when it's done.

Aaron
Old 01-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by rasrboy
Cheese and Rice Oli!!!!! Thats impressive on both parts. Thanks for sharing and will have to let you know what my stuff is when it's done.

Aaron

Alright! It just isn't right to let this go on any longer. I am just yanking your chain... mostly Chris Ingle's.

None of us have done headers, yet. I bet we will in the next month or two though. We will report REAL results as soon as we get them.

Oli
Old 01-25-2010, 05:33 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Alright! It just isn't right to let this go on any longer. I am just yanking your chain... mostly Chris Ingle's.

None of us have done headers, yet. I bet we will in the next month or two though. We will report REAL results as soon as we get them.

Oli
That was DIRRRRTY!
Old 01-25-2010, 05:33 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't bet against the hp #'s that you eluded to....the tq # may be alittle far fetched....
Old 01-25-2010, 05:39 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

and don't forget the 20-25 lbs of weight you'll save, for those trying to make it down to min weight
Old 01-25-2010, 05:41 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
I wouldn't bet against the hp #'s that you eluded to....the tq # may be alittle far fetched....
seriously? for someone with 3" straights already?

im still running OEM '01 downpipes, with the dual pup cats and H pipe.. i was only hoping for 30HP... mid-range should definitely get a hand... maybe make up for the giant 3-4 gap.

this could be fun.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

I did two modifications at the same time on my LS6 that already had a VaraRam air induction system and Corsa mufflers:

1) Crane 1.8:1 aluminum roller rocker arms and springs

2) L.G. Motorsports long-tube 1 3/4 inch headers, random technologies high-flow catalysts, and 3-inch X-pipe, thru the Corsa mufflers.

A chassis dyno run before and after the installation of these parts showed a 44 rwhp improvement.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:02 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba
A chassis dyno run before and after the installation of these parts showed a 44 rwhp improvement.
Was that with a tune, or just with parts?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:21 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

I did two modifications at the same time on my LS6 that already had a VaraRam air induction system and Corsa mufflers:

2) L.G. Motorsports long-tube 1 3/4 inch headers, random technologies high-flow catalysts, and 3-inch X-pipe, thru the Corsa mufflers.

hard to compare.. i think the vararam benefited a lot more from the headers than the stocker will
Old 01-25-2010, 06:55 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Oli
I don't care who you are that's funny right there, you just had every T1 guy chit a little there. That was great!!! We should see some numbers in the next month or so.

Joel
Old 01-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan0
hard to compare.. i think the vararam benefited a lot more from the headers than the stocker will

The VaraRam has no ram air effect on a chassis dyno.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:56 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The VaraRam has no ram air effect on a chassis dyno.
I would expect any good aftermarket airbox to flow better than the stock one on a dyno. No?
Old 01-25-2010, 09:35 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

The 1.8 rollers (stock LS6 are 1.7) effectively increased both lift and duration of the cam.

Get notified of new replies

To Header effects?

Old 01-25-2010, 10:20 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

I'm listening
Old 01-25-2010, 10:35 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Never had a dyno, but I think I actually lost HP when I installed a full 3" catless Kook's system with straight pipes. I think it's just too much for my stock LS1. My bet is that my HP went down, but my torque improved.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:09 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sperkins
Never had a dyno, but I think I actually lost HP when I installed a full 3" catless Kook's system with straight pipes. I think it's just too much for my stock LS1. My bet is that my HP went down, but my torque improved.
It sounds like you didn't have the car tuned? Throwing mods at LSXs w/o tuning is a waste of $. With a tune it will respond well to the headers.

-TJ

Quick Reply: Header effects?