Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eibach Callaway package

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eibach Callaway package

Are the sway bars that are included in the Callaway Eibach suspension option adjustable?

What are the track experiences with this package.

My use is mostly a daily driver with a few HPDE or NASA TT days a year.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:36 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Wendling
Are the sway bars that are included in the Callaway Eibach suspension option adjustable?

What are the track experiences with this package.

My use is mostly a daily driver with a few HPDE or NASA TT days a year.
Dan,

Our bars include adjustable end links. I hope this helps
Old 01-27-2010, 01:32 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Callaway/Eibach package has always confused me... it appears to add coil springs but doesn't remove the leafs. I think Bowmanized was putting together a package where they removed the leafs and the provided coils and went to a much heavier coil. The reports of that package were favorable with the quote being something along the lines of a car with the Bowmanized-Callaways versus a car with the HardbarUSA Penskes -- the winner of the TT was determined by who had the fresher Hoosier A6s...
Old 01-27-2010, 07:19 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree about the additional springs being confusing. Either go one way or the other. Adding another set of springs seems stupid. Just install the correct rates and remove the leaf springs if you want coilover dampers.
Callaway has some pretty nice parts on their race cars over in germany, but I've tried to contact them and they want nothing to do with selling race parts. They simply suggested contacting callaway over here which doesn't really have anything similar to offer. Too bad as I think there would be quite a bit of interest for their race parts.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:26 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by trackboss
I agree about the additional springs being confusing.
I believe it was b/c of the shock mounts not being engineered to support the weight of the car. There was a guy on this forum that had coilovers on his Z06, he hit a wood block on the highway and blasted the shock mount up to his hood.

Ive driven the Callaway package on winding roads, it handles very nicely and much improved compared to stock. I am no competitive driver tho.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:01 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

I can already see somebody pulling up the LGM footage of Lou jumping a log with the LG coilovers.

The shock mounts hold up just fine with full coilovers...
Old 01-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LG 6x6 test

I saw this video but could not figure out what the point was.

1. What are the chances that you would be forced to drive over a 6x6?

2. Unless we have a "control" element of the test (i.e. a inferior competitive shock driven over the same 6x6. We learn nothing about the alternate competitive solutions.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:18 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I can already see somebody pulling up the LGM footage of Lou jumping a log with the LG coilovers.

The shock mounts hold up just fine with full coilovers...

Likewise Ive seen the photo proof of a shock tower going thru to the hood.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:21 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
Likewise Ive seen the photo proof of a shock tower going thru to the hood.
I've seen proof of a lot of one-off failures... doesn't mean it's a consistent failure mode and everybody should run screaming...
Old 01-28-2010, 06:26 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

I've seen proof of a lot of one-off failures... doesn't mean it's a consistent failure mode and everybody should run screaming...
Well when the combined efforts of companies like Eibach and Callaway say "it wasn't meant for that" then I see the infamous pop...Im inclined to believe it.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:27 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Actually, it has happened several times
Old 01-28-2010, 06:36 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Well when the combined efforts of companies like Eibach and Callaway say "it wasn't meant for that" then I see the infamous pop...Im inclined to believe it.
Where's the direct reference for this?

And, CallawayChris, in the instances where this occurred what were the similarities? Always the C6Z aluminum frame? Perhaps the same ride height choice or similar?
Old 01-28-2010, 06:46 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

Where's the direct reference for this?

And, CallawayChris, in the instances where this occurred what were the similarities? Always the C6Z aluminum frame? Perhaps the same ride height choice or similar?

I don't have a direct reference...merely drawing on memory of previous threads on this topic.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:19 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

I don't have a direct reference...merely drawing on memory of previous threads on this topic.
So we don't know if this is why Callaway/Eibach chose not to go full coilover, and we don't even know if they hold the direct opinion that all C5 and C6 shock mounts are incapable of sustaining the loads?

I agree there were previous threads about this, but there's also lots of evidence out there (DRM has been using coilovers since C4 days, LGM uses coilovers on C5/C6, HardbarUSA coilovers, Moton coilovers, etc, etc) to show that the issues have been on a tiny tiny subset of the installed base that chooses to run coilovers, right?

Sorry, I just don't want to see FUD (Fear Uncertainty Doubt) spread without it being fact based...
Old 01-28-2010, 07:27 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

You can't compare the C4 coilovers to the C5/C6 as the suspension setup is completely different. Callaway used a straight coilover on their C4 packages as well.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:29 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

I didn't compare them, I said DRM has used coilovers _since the C4_ meaning you can add them to the list of people successfully using coilovers on the C5 and C6 platform, just like my other examples, too.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:49 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

I didn't compare them, I said DRM has used coilovers _since the C4_ meaning you can add them to the list of people successfully using coilovers on the C5 and C6 platform, just like my other examples, too.
It took some homework but...........Here is the direct link to Callaway's response in an older thread. The entire thread is a pretty good read.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1563407576-post144.html
Originally Posted by mcv
Callaway engineering's position is that the stock C6 Corvette chassis is not adequate to support the stresses transmitted through the shock absorber mounts once the leaf springs are eliminated. The issue isn't the ability to carry the car's static load or its ability to withstand the dynamic stresses applied to the shock mounts with a new chassis. The engineers' concern is structural fatigue that can result in and around the upper shock mounts after typical forces are applied repeatedly through the mounts over an extended period of time.

The Callaway/Eibach System was designed for street-driven applications that are also going to be driven at the track. We would have taken a different design approach if the system was intended for racing-only applications which don't accumulate street miles and where shock mounts could be modified.

Callaway used to offer a Coil-Over system for C4 Callaway Twin Turbo and SuperNatural Corvettes that eliminated the leaf springs, but ultimately discontinued the option.

Last edited by SurfnSun; 01-28-2010 at 07:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Eibach Callaway package

Old 01-28-2010, 07:55 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Thanks for the reference! It's interesting to see Callaway's opinion in print... it seems to differ from a lot of other Corvette vendors. So I guess we'll just have to take it as individual vendors and engineering houses having differing opinions.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:08 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

Thanks for the reference! It's interesting to see Callaway's opinion in print... it seems to differ from a lot of other Corvette vendors. So I guess we'll just have to take it as individual vendors and engineering houses having differing opinions.
I know when the Callaway SC580 spent a day at VIR, it was passing nearly every street car there with its Callaway/Eibach suspension package. I think it even lapped a couple of Z06's.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:01 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

I know when the Callaway SC580 spent a day at VIR, it was passing nearly every street car there with its Callaway/Eibach suspension package. I think it even lapped a couple of Z06's.
and some of the 1/2 dozen Z06s had suspension components piece-meal from other "engineering" companies

Quick Reply: Eibach Callaway package