Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need detail pictures of C4 roll bar

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:56 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Need detail pictures of C4 roll bar

Need some specific pictures of any mounting plates and gussets required to mount the main hoop and the rearward supports.
Do I need a forward support? Where can it go so the passenger seat can still be used?

Main hoop design is not and issue. What about rearward supports? Just straight back or a different design.

Can't go a full cage yet - gets too many street miles and a cage is "unsafe" on the street.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:01 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jaa1992
Need some specific pictures of any mounting plates and gussets required to mount the main hoop and the rearward supports.
Do I need a forward support? Where can it go so the passenger seat can still be used?

Main hoop design is not and issue. What about rearward supports? Just straight back or a different design.

Can't go a full cage yet - gets too many street miles and a cage is "unsafe" on the street.
check on the NASA CCR on cage specs, dunno what your car's base weight is for TT/PT, but NASA is .120" wall on tubing for 3k lbs over, minus fuel/driver. just FYI...
Old 01-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did an Autopower install in my 89 autocrosser about 7 years ago. Plates were welded to frame then 3 high grade fasteners per plate were used.

Last edited by Shrek; 01-27-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:10 PM
urtoslo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with an Autopower bar. We installed a bunch of those years ago, an easy straight forward procedure. Those bars have rear supports only and don't need front support. Any cage fabricator can install it for you too. The bar in mine, that had front/side bars, was custom made by Mitch Piper.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:41 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Thanks for the pictures Shrek!
Did you have any extra support under the mounting plates, they look like they overhang from the frame a bit. Just wondering.

Yes, I could buy and autopower and have some one put it in.
The object of this is the first half of a cage and it will meet the NASA CCR for tubing specs. Have a local shop doing the fabrication - sorta like the Georgia version of Mitch Piper. He just finished a few c5 cages and now its my turn.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:21 AM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

about 2/3 overlap of the frame, and It left just enough clearance for the fasteners to clear. you have the option to bolt or weld and I chose to bolt it because I was using it mainly as a harness bar/stiffener. I had plans to eventually track the car and then I would have went back in to weld it 100% plate to plate. Not sure about my logic at the time, but later on I felt I should have just welded it and been done with it.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

In case you plan on adding to the roll bar for a full cage in the future, you need a bar that will meet the rules. Some bars are 1 3/4" x .095", but most rules require 1 3/4" x .120 or 2" x .095 for the Corvette.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:14 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by ZR1 MK
In case you plan on adding to the roll bar for a full cage in the future, you need a bar that will meet the rules. Some bars are 1 3/4" x .095", but most rules require 1 3/4" x .120 or 2" x .095 for the Corvette.
Yep, I'll be following the CCR's for tube size and thickness. It only makes sense.

So question - the mounting plate like Shrek's pictures show. Everything will be welded to the frame. With 1/3 of the mounting plate hanging over the frame rail should the over hang be gusseted to the frame to avoid deformation of the plate in a rollover? If so 1, 2 or 3.

I need to be able to show this to the CEO and say "See, if I roll over the bar will not punch through." Also need to be able to explain to the fabricator if they are needed.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:08 AM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

If you're welding it in, I would cut off all the extra flange plate around the tubes, then weld it directly to the frame 100% around. The tubing is positioned completely over the frame rail with nothing hanging over.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:44 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Shrek
If you're welding it in, I would cut off all the extra flange plate around the tubes, then weld it directly to the frame 100% around. The tubing is positioned completely over the frame rail with nothing hanging over.

Perfect, thats what I was wondering.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:47 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

From memory, as I put my bar in approx 14 years ago, I remember the flanges centered on the frame, not as pictured above. No extra plates and just welded direct to the frame. All around the perimeter and the holes too.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:37 PM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a piece of plate on the bar and welded it on. Then, welded to the frame.
(I am just a garage hack)

Old 01-29-2010, 12:30 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pablocruise

Of course mine is a street car which will experience track fantasies and autox, but I can even imagine tearing my interior up like that. Now if it's pure race.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:49 AM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

:o I forgot to mention that it is a track only car :o
Old 01-29-2010, 11:57 PM
opel
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts

You can also try www.swracecars.com they seem to have good prices.I installed mine just this past fall, It's a 1 3/4" DOM .120 wall. This is the post from August when I did mine. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-p...4-rollbar.html
Dave
Old 01-30-2010, 12:33 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I finally found a local fabricator that will be doing the fabrication and install (he just completed a few c5 NASA spec cages).
I've had a few PM's from other fabricators and I just can't be without the car for very long. They are jus too far away.
I was able to arrange to drop it off Tues and pick it up Friday. He is less than an hour from home so the wife can pick me up and take me back on Fri. Had to arrange work from home so it all works.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally found a local fabricator that will be doing the fabrication and install (he just completed a few c5 NASA spec cages).
I've had a few PM's from other fabricators and I just can't be without the car for very long. They are jus too far away.
I was able to arrange to drop it off Tues and pick it up Friday. He is less than an hour from home so the wife can pick me up and take me back on Fri. Had to arrange work from home so it all works.
Hey James,
Tell me more about the local guy. Is it the guy I told you about app. 1 year ago? Give me some details & price info.

Anthony

Get notified of new replies

To Need detail pictures of C4 roll bar

Old 01-30-2010, 03:32 PM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by opel
You can also try www.swracecars.com they seem to have good prices.I installed mine just this past fall, It's a 1 3/4" DOM .120 wall. This is the post from August when I did mine. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-p...4-rollbar.html
Dave
These pics were emailed to me by S&W a few years back...

I ordered this kit in mild steel, and paid too much for the shipping to SoCal.

Not sure if the kit has since been changed. I still have the it, collecting spiderwebs in a corner of the storage locker.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:04 AM
myles930
Racer

Originally Posted by pablocruise

Is that a full cage setup? If so, would you mind posting more pics please? I am building a C4 for the mile and I am trying to get ideas for the cage.

Thanks
Old 02-01-2010, 02:03 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

FYI, although I'm a little late to this thread, but we got NASA to approve the main hoop welding to the ledge behind the seats instead of running down to the floor (like in pablocruise's photo). You just need the plates welded there at the hump per the CCR spec.

If your build is not complete and you'd like to see pics, let me know. I can post them later but I don't have them on this particular computer...

Quick Reply: Need detail pictures of C4 roll bar