Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Z06 vs C6 LS2

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 03:02 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Z06 vs C6 LS2

Guys, I'm starting to see some deals on C6 LS2 with salvage titles for around 15k.

After replacing so much on my C5 Z06, then seeing a lot of guys literally strip them down, I'm thinking a 15k C6 with gashed interior, or knife scratches all the way around, or a needed fender/bumper woudn't be that big a deal for a track car. At this price range, one can more easily walk away should disaster ever strike and insurance not kick in.

So LS2 vs. LS6 for power? I'm thinking LS2

LS2 vs LS6 for endurance at the track? I'm thinking LS6

C6 vs C5Z06 for handling?

What about after the normal suspension/braking mods are done? I'm thinking C6 T1/Wilwood/SSLines/Shocks
Old 01-27-2010, 03:19 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

based on NASA's rules, I think a C6 Z51 LS2 would be a killer PTA car with larger brakes, only slightly more weight (60 lbs) than a C5Z and essentially an 01 LS6 heads/cam on a 6.0L block.

I'd love to build one
Old 01-27-2010, 03:39 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Another thing you need to think about is a dry sump system. While the LS2 hasn't suffered as many detonations as the LS3, it does have some oiling and puking issues. The SCCA allowed dry sumps on the LS2 and 3 this year - there's a reason for that.

The LS2 is a better/faster machine than the C5 LS6 given the same suspension options and weight.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:44 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

I should add that I'm thinking my 2001 Z06 Engine might be ready for a new crate this season or next. So I'm thinking 6k on this car, or time to make a change soon?
Old 01-27-2010, 06:31 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven many miles in competion against C6 LS3 motored cars in NASA TTS form. The only advantage to the C6 is in slow turns on to a fast straight, initially the torque will pull the Corvette about 30 feet farther down the track than the C5 Z06, but then I usually catch them on high end. The C5 drives better through esses, and better initial turn in into corners, IMHO. L'tl Blu' can beat them.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:47 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 96solo
I've driven many miles in competion against C6 LS3 motored cars in NASA TTS form. The only advantage to the C6 is in slow turns on to a fast straight, initially the torque will pull the Corvette about 30 feet farther down the track than the C5 Z06, but then I usually catch them on high end. The C5 drives better through esses, and better initial turn in into corners, IMHO. L'tl Blu' can beat them.
Maybe your car handles the esses and end of straights better because you have more guts. Not everybody will go 150 heading into a braking zone. If you were in the C6 that pulled more, how much faster would you be? I catch most C6's too, but there are spots where you realize they have more car.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:41 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kwhiteside
Maybe your car handles the esses and end of straights better because you have more guts. Not everybody will go 150 heading into a braking zone. If you were in the C6 that pulled more, how much faster would you be? I catch most C6's too, but there are spots where you realize they have more car.
I haven't seen other advantages other than low end torque. I think I'm about a quick as other instructors; no more, no less. I have found some handling advantages, but then I'm 100 pound lighter too.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:44 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I should add that I'm thinking my 2001 Z06 Engine might be ready for a new crate this season or next. So I'm thinking 6k on this car, or time to make a change soon?
For a few $$$s more, you can have a forged bullet proof motor that will last a long time and make more power than the C6. Plus you won't have to give up the C5 that you have already modded. Plenty of deals right now on motors.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:24 AM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by waddisme
For a few $$$s more, you can have a forged bullet proof motor that will last a long time and make more power than the C6. Plus you won't have to give up the C5 that you have already modded. Plenty of deals right now on motors.
How much more $$$ for forged 389/427? I hear that it is better to stay stock for reliability reasons. The engines that give it up and the track are usually the built ones

I know what you mean about the mods though. I really don't want to have to do the work to swap all this to resell. Around 5k of stuff.

Fast Intake ($700)
Headers ($1000), Catback ($600)
Wilwood SL6 ($700)
T1 Sway Bar ($500)
Vararam ($150)
Seat/Harness Bar/Harness ($500)
LC-1 Wideband
Pillar Gauges
Dewitts Rad/EOC ($750)
Old 01-28-2010, 12:36 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow - I would be scared to look at my list of mods like that. My aluminum 402 cost about $9800 including install labor. The only splurge was $800 for used FAST intake (mistake). After selling supercharger, block, heads and other stuff, I have less than $3000 in the motor. It is the only reason I still have the '02. There have been some killer deals on some C6 Zs on this forum, but it would be going backward tracking again on a stock motor when I already have a forged one. Plus, even with a bra and tape, paint on car is taking a beating. Hate to trash a newer one. Good luck with it.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 936 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

How much more $$$ for forged 389/427? I hear that it is better to stay stock for reliability reasons. The engines that give it up and the track are usually the built ones
I have heard that too and I wonder why. Is there something wrong with the LS block that it cant be built right for high HP?
Old 01-28-2010, 01:04 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
I have heard that too and I wonder why. Is there something wrong with the LS block that it cant be built right for high HP?
It can, just that it needs to be rebuilt every so many hours. ie twice a year at a mim.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:15 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
It can, just that it needs to be rebuilt every so many hours. ie twice a year at a mim.
Twice a year--wow! That must be a lot of racing/HPDEs.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:41 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by waddisme
Wow - I would be scared to look at my list of mods like that. My aluminum 402 cost about $9800 including install labor. The only splurge was $800 for used FAST intake (mistake). After selling supercharger, block, heads and other stuff, I have less than $3000 in the motor. It is the only reason I still have the '02. There have been some killer deals on some C6 Zs on this forum, but it would be going backward tracking again on a stock motor when I already have a forged one. Plus, even with a bra and tape, paint on car is taking a beating. Hate to trash a newer one. Good luck with it.
The sub 20k C6 cars that have no mechanical problems have already been trashed somehow cosmetically. That is always one of my starting prefaces, you must be able to walk away from it. That is why I sold my beautiful 02MagRed Vert that was perfect and bought this beater Z06. I have never waxed my Z06, I can't get all the black tar crap off, somebody keyed it once, a neighbor backed into it and cracked front bumber, yada yada, who cares. I got it for $15,200 off ebay and drove it back from Texas.

I see these insurance totalled C6's with slashed interiors, or jacked fiberglass and think about what Scott is gutting his car, or how Fred might spring for a widebody C6 kit. I know on the C5, we can fix almost any and every thing that comes up with the knowledge on this board. Guessing C6 will be the same. Seems like every event I go to there are more and more C6's showing up so there will be a following. This is a hasty generalization, but most likely the C6 guys are a bit more waxer than hardcore a hardcore tracker. You comment about "Hate to trash a new one" goes in line with that generalization. But if you can get a newer one for 18k, maybe 16k, who cares if you trash it.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z06 vs C6 LS2

Quick Reply: C5 Z06 vs C6 LS2