Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is right for me, SCCA, NASA or Both?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 11:24 AM
ride250s
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which is right for me, SCCA, NASA or Both?

I own an '87 Vette, live in Eastern Iowa, and will be 24 as of midnight tonight! Over the past few years I have gotten into racing more and more. I have attended a few ALMS races at Road America, and have desided I wanna be out there on the track!

I have screened over both the SCCA and NASA websites, and it seems like it would be best for me to start in Auto-X/SOLO, PDX, and or HPDE. The problem is, I live in Iowa haha. There are a few close tracks, and it looks like the NASA HPDE would fit me right for my area, as SCCA PDX events are all far from me. SOLO sounds fun to do on the weekends and there are plenty of events around here. Do I need to join SCCA to do SOLO? Is it worth the money to join both SCCA and NASA?

I have bought Dave Gran's Book, Go Ahead- Take the Wheel, and so far find it excelent in explaining how to get into racing. I bought the SCCA addition which is tailored to getting involved with the SCCA...

I eventually see my self getting involved in wheel to wheel racing. Is it normal for people to start in lets say NASA and move to SCCA, or vice versa? What serieses would my C4 even be allowed in? I may end up going with a cheaper racecar then a vette but who knows.

I would appreciate and tips
Old 01-30-2010, 12:00 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Lotsa questions.....lotsa answers....all just my opinion.

First, racing or motorsports competition costs lotsa money....and is addicting! How much discressionary income do you have?
I would strongly recommend treating yourself to a professional driver's school (about $3500) like Bondurant or Spring Mountain. Great prices right now if you can afford it.
Next, the CAR. The cheapest way to go is (in order) carts, motorcycles, Spec Miata. If someone GAVE me a real race car, I wouldn't have the money to purchase the consumables (tires, brakes, maintenance etc) for a "real" race car. If you can race close to home (MSR Cresson is only 10 miles from my house) your main expenses are consumables (assuming you don't hit something). However, if you live in Iowa, your main expenses may turn out to be travel and accommodations, so plan accorcingly (or move to a more suitable venue).
You "may" find out after your first session that you only thought you wanted to race cars...and you would still have a (useless) racecar. SO, after you complete your training and arrive at the point where you are absolutely sure that you are gonna race cars, THEN I would buy the WINNING race car from the class that you have researched as most efficient use of your money....that is, where you can actually afford to buy and compete in a competitive vehicle. For instance, IF you are going T1, then I would buy last year's (best available) T1 champion car, prepared by Phoenix, and be sure the deal includes the "setup book" containing all of the suspension settings, gear ratios eetc for each track where the car will be competing. Best of luck
Old 01-30-2010, 12:14 PM
ride250s
Pro

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Lotsa questions.....lotsa answers....all just my opinion.

First, racing or motorsports competition costs lotsa money....and is addicting! How much discressionary income do you have?
I would strongly recommend treating yourself to a professional driver's school (about $3500) like Bondurant or Spring Mountain. Great prices right now if you can afford it.
Next, the CAR. The cheapest way to go is (in order) carts, motorcycles, Spec Miata. If someone GAVE me a real race car, I wouldn't have the money to purchase the consumables (tires, brakes, maintenance etc) for a "real" race car. If you can race close to home (MSR Cresson is only 10 miles from my house) your main expenses are consumables (assuming you don't hit something). However, if you live in Iowa, your main expenses may turn out to be travel and accommodations, so plan accorcingly (or move to a more suitable venue).
You "may" find out after your first session that you only thought you wanted to race cars...and you would still have a (useless) racecar. SO, after you complete your training and arrive at the point where you are absolutely sure that you are gonna race cars, THEN I would buy the WINNING race car from the class that you have researched as most efficient use of your money....that is, where you can actually afford to buy and compete in a competitive vehicle. For instance, IF you are going T1, then I would buy last year's (best available) T1 champion car, prepared by Phoenix, and be sure the deal includes the "setup book" containing all of the suspension settings, gear ratios eetc for each track where the car will be competing. Best of luck
I understand the expences, and I don't want money or other things to discourage me. I don't plan on jumping right into racing, or even attending a school like bonderant (it would be a blast). I think starting in Auto-X and HPDE which are not wheel to wheel, are good places for me to get seat time, and I can use my stock C4 (well, semi stock). HPDE will run me around $300 give or take, and I will get real seat time with an instructor and classroom time. That is a better use of my money right now than a driving school.

Thanks for the input!!!!
Old 01-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

JMHO:
SCCA for autox(soloII) every single weekend you can.
NASA for HPDE-->TT--->W2W every single weekend you can afford to.

Really it's all about seat time.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:20 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

www.midamericamotorplex.com check out the schedule for Fast Fridays we are just East of Omaha on I29.........
Old 01-30-2010, 02:01 PM
bearnest
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HPDE with any group this year, see how it goes.
Next year rent a Miata at a NASA Double Drivers School.
Do a search on the NASA dd school and see what you think?
Old 01-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

If you will attend events from both clubs, then join both. I believe you get the membership due back for being a member and signing up for an event. If you aren't a member they sign you up when you register for an event so you have to do it anyway. Check other clubs for events too. What I do is decide what track I want to go to and then what club's event fits my schedule best. There are usually lots of clubs having track days.

I don't like autox to much but I'm spoiled living close to Road America. Give it a try though, maybe it's for you. It's definitely less expensive.

Some do move between SCCA and NASA, I believe the competition license transfers over okay (W2W only). I've seen NASA stickers covered up while the person does a SCCA event, and vice versa.

If I were you I would do the big tracks HPDE days with NASA. You can move up to HPDE group 4 which allows open passing. And they have a time trial program which does as well. Both get you some taste of W2W so you can see if that's what you want to do. SCCA is more focused on just W2W from what I've seen. Do HPDE events then after awhile decide on what type of W2W class you would like to do. Your race car choice can be dictated but what W2W racing you want to do.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:18 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ride250s
I understand the expences, and I don't want money or other things to discourage me. I don't plan on jumping right into racing, or even attending a school like bonderant (it would be a blast). I think starting in Auto-X and HPDE which are not wheel to wheel, are good places for me to get seat time, and I can use my stock C4 (well, semi stock). HPDE will run me around $300 give or take, and I will get real seat time with an instructor and classroom time. That is a better use of my money right now than a driving school.

Thanks for the input!!!!
HPDEs are a great to be introduced to motorsports

NASA Midwest would be a great way to start

There 2010 Schedule
http://www.nasamidwest.com/season/

May 22-23 2010 • Brainerd MN NW of the Twin Cities

June 12-13 2010 • Blackhawk Farms ( Rockford ILL )

July 17-18 2010 • Autobahn ( SW of Chicago )

September 11-12 2010 • Autobahn

There are more events, but these are the closest NASA events to you.

HPDE will run me around $300 give or take
Thing you may want to revisit this.

That would be the entry Fee. $300 -$400 / event.

again that to prepare your car for each event. Brake fluid, brake pads, check over nuts and bolts, tire usage / wear

Travel to and from each event: Fuel and time

Food and lodging for each event.

Adds up fast.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 01-30-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:58 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

AX is a great way to get involved in performance driving - its inexpensive, low risk, lets you meet lots of folks involved in the local clubs and will teach you the basics of car control, handling understeer, oversteer and braking. SCCA is by far the most popular AX organizer nationwide. You can attend events without being a SCCA member but it will cost you a bit more. IMO however, you don't get enough seat time at the normal events. But there is a solution - many regions run AX schools in the spring, well worth it for the instruction and seat time. Evolution Performance Driving School (http://www.evoschool.com/) is a traveling school - if they come to an area near you it is a great way to learn.

After 3 AX schools and about 10 Events I ventured onto the big tracks by attending an HPDE and was quickly hooked. As mentioned, in addition to SCCA and NASA DEs, there are a whole host of other options: BMW clubs, PCA clubs, Mazda clubs, etc, etc. What I learned in AX quickly transfered over to the track. This will be my third year of DEs, I prefer them to AX because its more seat time and higher speed (and unfortunately higher cost).

I think I will probably get into TT within the next couple years and maybe eventually W2W but the step up in cost is substantial.

HTH, Brad.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:31 PM
ride250s
Pro

Originally Posted by Jason
JMHO:
SCCA for autox(soloII) every single weekend you can.
NASA for HPDE-->TT--->W2W every single weekend you can afford to.

Really it's all about seat time.
Thanks for the input!
Old 01-30-2010, 08:32 PM
ride250s
Pro

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
www.midamericamotorplex.com check out the schedule for Fast Fridays we are just East of Omaha on I29.........
Thanks for the link! I have friends that live in Des Moines where I could stay half way and make a whole weekend trip of it!
Old 01-30-2010, 08:33 PM
ride250s
Pro

Originally Posted by bearnest
HPDE with any group this year, see how it goes.
Next year rent a Miata at a NASA Double Drivers School.
Do a search on the NASA dd school and see what you think?
Thanks, I didn't know about the DD School before!
Old 01-30-2010, 08:34 PM
ride250s
Pro

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
If you will attend events from both clubs, then join both. I believe you get the membership due back for being a member and signing up for an event. If you aren't a member they sign you up when you register for an event so you have to do it anyway. Check other clubs for events too. What I do is decide what track I want to go to and then what club's event fits my schedule best. There are usually lots of clubs having track days.

I don't like autox to much but I'm spoiled living close to Road America. Give it a try though, maybe it's for you. It's definitely less expensive.

Some do move between SCCA and NASA, I believe the competition license transfers over okay (W2W only). I've seen NASA stickers covered up while the person does a SCCA event, and vice versa.

If I were you I would do the big tracks HPDE days with NASA. You can move up to HPDE group 4 which allows open passing. And they have a time trial program which does as well. Both get you some taste of W2W so you can see if that's what you want to do. SCCA is more focused on just W2W from what I've seen. Do HPDE events then after awhile decide on what type of W2W class you would like to do. Your race car choice can be dictated but what W2W racing you want to do.
Man I wish I lived close to Road America! I love attending ALMS races there.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:36 PM
ride250s
Pro

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
HPDEs are a great to be introduced to motorsports

NASA Midwest would be a great way to start

There 2010 Schedule
http://www.nasamidwest.com/season/

May 22-23 2010 • Brainerd MN NW of the Twin Cities

June 12-13 2010 • Blackhawk Farms ( Rockford ILL )

July 17-18 2010 • Autobahn ( SW of Chicago )

September 11-12 2010 • Autobahn

There are more events, but these are the closest NASA events to you.

Thing you may want to revisit this.

That would be the entry Fee. $300 -$400 / event.

again that to prepare your car for each event. Brake fluid, brake pads, check over nuts and bolts, tire usage / wear

Travel to and from each event: Fuel and time

Food and lodging for each event.

Adds up fast.
Thanks for the info! I guess I was refering to $300 in entry fees. I am aware of the other expences. I think it will all be worth it! I do some Karting at a sweet track in Iowa with grade changes and it has gotten me used to using the correct lines. Can't wait for spring!
Old 01-30-2010, 08:39 PM
ride250s
Pro

Originally Posted by argonaut
AX is a great way to get involved in performance driving - its inexpensive, low risk, lets you meet lots of folks involved in the local clubs and will teach you the basics of car control, handling understeer, oversteer and braking. SCCA is by far the most popular AX organizer nationwide. You can attend events without being a SCCA member but it will cost you a bit more. IMO however, you don't get enough seat time at the normal events. But there is a solution - many regions run AX schools in the spring, well worth it for the instruction and seat time. Evolution Performance Driving School (http://www.evoschool.com/) is a traveling school - if they come to an area near you it is a great way to learn.

After 3 AX schools and about 10 Events I ventured onto the big tracks by attending an HPDE and was quickly hooked. As mentioned, in addition to SCCA and NASA DEs, there are a whole host of other options: BMW clubs, PCA clubs, Mazda clubs, etc, etc. What I learned in AX quickly transfered over to the track. This will be my third year of DEs, I prefer them to AX because its more seat time and higher speed (and unfortunately higher cost).

I think I will probably get into TT within the next couple years and maybe eventually W2W but the step up in cost is substantial.

HTH, Brad.
Thanks for the link and the input! I'll look into the school
Old 01-30-2010, 08:50 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

AutoX doesn't get you the seat time that HPDE does. five 1 min runs per day is kinda weak when you can do HPDE and get that in one session, for probably less than triple the cost.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:24 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

I have to agree with many of the above posts that autox is the easiest and most low impact way to get started. It does have that downside that your seat time is minimal but some of the more active regions have events almost every other weekend. Also look up to see if any of your local tracks host test and tune autoxes. I worked at Beaverun outside of Pittsburgh, PA and we hosted a test and tune autox on thursday nights every week. Not sure how many other tracks do this but it helped get a lot of seat time.

HPDE is great but obviously the speeds and risks go up exponentially from an autox. However, the basic car control you'll learn from autox still applies to the track so this is why I'd recommend trying to get some autox exposure before hitting your first HPDE.

As far as which club to run with, I would run with both, whichever was closest. As a track worker I dealt with NASA, SCCA, and other random driving groups and I can say that most of them out there are reputable and good to run with.

Get notified of new replies

To Which is right for me, SCCA, NASA or Both?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:08 AM
mjdrebano
Intermediate

I have to agree with those who recommended autocrossing and hpde at the same time With as much seat time as possible.
The two events, while different complement each other IMHO.
At Autocross you will quickly learn the car control which can help you at hpde.

I remember my first de almost 10 years ago when I was 17.
There were a handful of us who knew each other at Autocross events. I am positive that every one of us progressed much faster than everyone else in the beginner group. Most of us were moved up to group 2 the same weekend.

I heard someone say that good autocrossers make good roadracers and I'd have to agree.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:48 PM
AtomicZ
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd look into HPDE days at Blackhawk Farms in Rockford IL or at Iowa Speedway just east of Des Moines in Newton, IA. That looks like the closest tracks to where you live.

Autobahn is also relatively close and so is MAM down south of Omaha by Pacific Junction, IA. As mentioned above - Fast Fridays at MAM are a great value. Lots of track time for the money. The problem is you need to have a few HPDE's under your belt first - it is open track - no instructors - nothing.

You're also close enough to go up to Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI. It is one of the best tracks in the country.

All of these tracks have websites. All offer HPDE's.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:20 PM
ride250s
Pro

Thanks everyone for the input! HPDE is really what I want to be doing as soon as I can, hopefully this summer. I think it will be fun to hit up a few auto-x's this summer too. The only thing I can see holding me back from getting out there is my job... I work on the road all week and have been doing so for a year. I would have a hard time preparing my car for the weekends, but hopefully I will be getting a new job soon!

Thanks again everyone!

Quick Reply: Which is right for me, SCCA, NASA or Both?