Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can worn control arm bushings effect tire wear?

Old 02-01-2010, 04:27 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can worn control arm bushings effect tire wear?

I ask this because my driver side front control arm bushing is alittle worn.. the rest are good. I will be replacing it soon and definetly before the track season starts for me.. Im seeing excessive wear on the driver side front tire bottom half towards the outside of the car.

The wear is under the tire.. I know it could be alignment but I dont think that a tire could wear this fast...a few months.. could it be that the weaker control arm is pushing that section of the tire onto the road more thus creating the wear faster?

all you experts please chime in.
I will be replacing the control arm, buying a fresh set of tires and getting an alignment( again) soon.

the tires are nitto r2's not hard street tires maybe with street tires it wouldnt have worn as fast but who knows
Old 02-01-2010, 07:34 AM
Wah
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you check if the control arms bushings were "extruded" ? My C5 Z06 did this and my C6 Z06 is doing the same thing. Curse of awesome brakes and super sticky tires
Old 02-01-2010, 07:39 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

and alignment challenges
Old 02-01-2010, 10:33 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wah
Did you check if the control arms bushings were "extruded" ? My C5 Z06 did this and my C6 Z06 is doing the same thing. Curse of awesome brakes and super sticky tires
the bushing is not "extruded" (does that mean sticking out?) there is just less bushing material there, like its wearing thin. it has happenned only on the top control arm every other one on the car is still good..

yes it is a curse! but a good one
Old 02-01-2010, 11:52 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're probably not wearing the bushing, it's probably pushing out the other side. Mine were so bad I pulled the upper arms off the car and couldn't get them back on. (I had put studs in the frame.) Note that you can't just replace the bushings with a stock bushing... they don't sell them. So you're either in for a new control arm, or an alternative bushing...

Get notified of new replies

To Can worn control arm bushings effect tire wear?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can worn control arm bushings effect tire wear?