Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with Pfadt ball joints....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 07:05 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Default Problem with Pfadt ball joints....

Received 4 lower ball joints and proceded to install the first one and found the dust shield too large to seal. Called Pfadt and they were aware of the problem but don't have a fix planned yet. I asked if any of their customers had suggested ways to make it work but J simply said some of them flip it upside down. However, this still does not make a good seal and will allow grease to escape and grit to get inside.

Question: Anyone with these ball joints found an acceptable way to make it work??
Old 02-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by southern_son
Received 4 lower ball joints and proceded to install the first one and found the dust shield too large to seal. Called Pfadt and they were aware of the problem but don't have a fix planned yet. I asked if any of their customers had suggested ways to make it work but J simply said some of them flip it upside down. However, this still does not make a good seal and will allow grease to escape and grit to get inside.

Question: Anyone with these ball joints found an acceptable way to make it work??
Dang, bummer Arte.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:27 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

VBP makes ball joint and tie rod covers.....I eventually melted mine though while using the stock brakes on the car that the front rotors would end up glowing....Haven't seen any damge to them since I "cooled" the brakes by using Stoptechs...

I think that I would give it a try, you are behind a rock and a hard place...
Old 02-04-2010, 10:01 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I am probably the customer that they are talking about. You right that the the dust boots do not fit the ball joint. Pfat did offer to take them back and refund my money even after I had installed them. I choose to keep them because I feel that I ball joint itself is a good product.

What I did was turn the dust boot inside out. this allowed the boot to cover the ball joint better. I took some heat resistant tape and cut it into some thin strips, about 3/16" wide. I wrapped the lower part of the ball joint housing with it to build up the diameter of the housing. After pulling the dust boot over the tape I took a zip tie and used it to keep the dust boot in place. You need the tape to give you a soft area so the zip tie has something to pull into so it does not slip. When applying grease just go easy on it.

Before I came up with this solution I did ask about the boots and the answer that I got was that most race cars do not use the boot. That the joint is cleaned with fresh grease on a normal routine. They just pump mew grease in until the old grease is out. Then clean it up and you are ready to go. The dust shield as provided is to keep the big stuff out or so I am told.

My repair seems to be working fine.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:27 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Old 02-04-2010, 03:07 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
VBP makes ball joint and tie rod covers.....I eventually melted mine though while using the stock brakes

ditto... VBP

Old 02-04-2010, 09:05 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
VBP makes ball joint and tie rod covers.....I eventually melted mine though while using the stock brakes on the car that the front rotors would end up glowing.......
I didn't know you used brakes!!

I fixed the problem (I hope) by using my old super-duper safety wire and silicone. Maybe...maybe not.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Arte, the way you drive you would have melted those boots in short order anyway....sounds like some major modifications underway, we better look out for you and Beerkat too this year!!!

Tim
Old 02-05-2010, 12:20 AM
wmckeenster
Racer

I found poly dust boots here locally in Phoenix that fit the Pfadt ball joints perfectly
Old 02-05-2010, 03:04 AM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just used safety wire
Old 02-05-2010, 03:06 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Yeah, I had bought a set of these ball joints too and ended up sending them back because of the poor boot fit.

Moog sells a very nice lower ball joint for around $100 on Rockauto.com

That's the way I ended up going. Spicer makes the upper if you care.

If you bought the Pfadt Poly Bushings, you're going to have some issues to deal with. The newly designed Poly Bushings are one piece and due to the factory tolerances the bushings sometimes protrude (to long) and make it a bear to install.

The VBP bushings are much nicer to install. I had Robert from Speedsouth soda blast and clear coat the control arms to keep all of the crap from adhering to the control arms.

Did the zert fitting on the control arms too. Hopefully, everything works well this season. All of the stuff was installed on my buddy Zenak's car.

Pictures here

http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h7...ir%20Pictures/
Old 02-05-2010, 09:48 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I used the VBP poly's and had no trouble, either. I appreciate the tip about spicer top joints. I do need them, also. My only holdup now is still waiting for the AFR heads. Its been a month and car is still on rack. Thank goodness it is a slow part of the season. Which begs the question; how long does one have to wait on AFR heads in the middle of racing season??
Old 02-05-2010, 10:10 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I'm not sure what the back log is on AFR heads, I guess it depends on who you ordered from.

The Spicer joints are now part of Raybestos if you're shopping for them.

I used the VBP poly's and had no trouble, either. I appreciate the tip about spicer top joints. I do need them, also. My only holdup now is still waiting for the AFR heads. Its been a month and car is still on rack. Thank goodness it is a slow part of the season. Which begs the question; how long does one have to wait on AFR heads in the middle of racing season??
Old 02-05-2010, 01:17 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ajg1915
If you bought the Pfadt Poly Bushings, you're going to have some issues to deal with. The newly designed Poly Bushings are one piece and due to the factory tolerances the bushings sometimes protrude (to long) and make it a bear to install.
I think you got this backwards. The old Pfadt Poly Bushing kit was one piece bushings -- this is what I have on my car. The new kit is split bushings like VBP does.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:25 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I think you got this backwards. The old Pfadt Poly Bushing kit was one piece bushings -- this is what I have on my car. The new kit is split bushings like VBP does.
Maybe on your car but not a C5. The rear lowers are one piece and we had to put a bolt through them and squeeze them down to get them to fit because they stuck out a 1/8" too far.

For the front uppers I had use a 6" gear puller to squeeze in the poly so that I could slip over the snap rings into the grove.

I talked to Aaron about the problem several times and basically, you need split and grind down the bushing for them to fit properly in some control arms due to factory tolerances that these control arms have.

The VBP's are much easier to install and since I was using zerts for greesing the bushings they would have been a better choice.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:42 AM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wmckeenster
I found poly dust boots here locally in Phoenix that fit the Pfadt ball joints perfectly
Can you give me more info on the boots. How do you like the Pfadt ball joints other then the boot problem? Did you do lower front & rear?
gary@grbowler.com
Old 11-27-2011, 03:25 PM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is the answer I got from Pfadt on the boot issue when I asked :
Gary, these are designed to be serviceable and adjustable and are a race duty part as a result. So they do not need dust boots, like a 100,000 mile OEM no service ball joint. When installed on your corvette, it will be a good idea to grease them every oil change and make sure they are cleaned up. If you do that, there is no need for any dust boots. All of the dust boots for the lower ball joint do not hold up to the heat produced by the brakes.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Problem with Pfadt ball joints....

Old 11-29-2011, 06:14 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys. The problem as stated earlier with packaging boots for these ball joints is typically folks are upgrading to our ball joints because their previous have failed because of heat from the brakes. We do have a part number for an Energy Suspension boot that will fit these ball joints, but there is an excellent chance that after a few hard track days the boots will melt anyway.

As with most dedicated race pieces if you're going to use them on the street they will require more maintenance than an equivalent street piece. Making sure they are properly greased will keep these ball joints functioning great even with street use.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:44 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I tore a boot on one of my OEM balljoints when doing my poly bushing install. Ended up getting the Energy Suspension boots from Summit Racing. They're listed for a C4, but they fit C5s and C6s fine. They don't seal like the OEM one, but once installed the boot seals nicely. I wrapped the boot in DEI cool tape like I do with all my balljoints and have had no issues.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-9-13127G/

Old 11-29-2011, 07:50 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I stopped melting poly when I made little aluminum heatshields. Pretty easy fix.

Quick Reply: Problem with Pfadt ball joints....