Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics from Rolex24 weekend (dial up beware)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Pics from Rolex24 weekend (dial up beware)

Here are some photos I took while I was at the Rolex24. This was my first time attending an endurance race. Very good show . A bit rainy, but a wonderful weekend.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:33 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Staley
I came so close to getting one of those old IROC Firebirds at the auction when they closed up shop. First time I have seen one since
Old 02-05-2010, 08:50 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Great pictures, thanks for posting. I especially like the pictures of the vintage cars
Old 02-05-2010, 11:42 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Seeing the vintage cars is fun. Thanks for posting. Were you working the corner?
Old 02-05-2010, 11:50 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice pictures. I love that they are running the Mark Donohue paintjob on the #6 Camaro.

Has anyone else noticed how funny the wheel and tire setups look on the Camaros and Challengers? These cars that are coming from the factory with 20s are running smaller wheel and tire packages on the track. Surely to take advantage of the lower weight and possibly to get a lower gear ratio. Makes good racing sense but wow the fender gaps that get left behind are huge.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:35 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by grantar2
Seeing the vintage cars is fun. Thanks for posting. Were you working the corner?
No, I was just a spectator. Most of the shots were taken from a set of stands in the in-field.

I really need a better camera, because it was having a hard time focusing on the cars plus its shutter speed is just too slow. Alot of my pics I trashed because the background was clear, but the car was a blur .
Old 02-06-2010, 07:25 AM
shifter77
Drifting

Very nice , thanks for sharing.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Omaha02Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you had a good spot. pics
Old 02-06-2010, 09:51 AM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LS3 Mike
Nice pictures. I love that they are running the Mark Donohue paintjob on the #6 Camaro.

Has anyone else noticed how funny the wheel and tire setups look on the Camaros and Challengers? These cars that are coming from the factory with 20s are running smaller wheel and tire packages on the track. Surely to take advantage of the lower weight and possibly to get a lower gear ratio. Makes good racing sense but wow the fender gaps that get left behind are huge.
The wheel sizes are dictated by the rules I think to give everyone an equal contact patch to work with. The big problem right now is the speed of the M3s and new Mustangs. Talking to a guy I used to race against who owns/drives two of the other camaros in the series, they got a restrictor and the M3s/Mustangs didnt, which is why they were 8 mph slower on the nascar sections of Daytona. If you watched the race, then you could clearly see that the M3s were up on power since they paced the field by quite a big margin.

I wasnt too impressed by the DP cars and I think I like the LMP cars better in the Le Mans series. The GT cars were great though and I couldn't believe how loud the RX8 is with that rotary. My dad always told me how much louder those engines are but I didn't believe it until I had to put in ear plugs last week end.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I wanted to go bad this year but couldn't get it together. I didn't even know they ran the historics. Now I'm really upset I didn't go.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by Han Solo
Thanks for sharing. I wanted to go bad this year but couldn't get it together. I didn't even know they ran the historics. Now I'm really upset I didn't go.
Well they weren't racing the historics though. Just some exhibition laps at a decent speed. Still cool to see them back on the track.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:59 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by WBHighwind
The wheel sizes are dictated by the rules I think to give everyone an equal contact patch to work with. The big problem right now is the speed of the M3s and new Mustangs. Talking to a guy I used to race against who owns/drives two of the other camaros in the series, they got a restrictor and the M3s/Mustangs didnt, which is why they were 8 mph slower on the nascar sections of Daytona. If you watched the race, then you could clearly see that the M3s were up on power since they paced the field by quite a big margin.
Good to know. I didn't even think about it being a rules thing rather a team decision. Hopefully they get the rules worked a little to event things out. Haven't seen the Continental race yet. I think its supposed to be on Speed on the 13th so I want to catch it then.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:14 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

thanks for the pics

Get notified of new replies

To Pics from Rolex24 weekend (dial up beware)

Quick Reply: Pics from Rolex24 weekend (dial up beware)