Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on T1 Sway install needed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 02:29 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on T1 Sway install needed.

right top rear bolt threads in by finger a couple turns then feels real hard like some threads are screwed up. I tried loosening all four bracket bolts. Then took the bolt on the right side (hard one) and treaded it into the left. Seems fine over there. Looked at the other bolt from the left and it looks perfect. Tried it in the right and same thing. The threads inside the crossmember look pretty shiny like they may be jacked up.

Should I just muscle it in?

Tighten the three and take it to my mechanic?

Other advise?

Thanks in advance. I'm admittantly a bit mechanically challenged.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:41 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

try with thread lubricant?
Old 02-07-2010, 02:45 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by longdaddy
try with thread lubricant?
You mean like wd40 or pbblaster?
Old 02-07-2010, 02:52 PM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have screwed up threads inside that last hole. Do not force it!!! Ask me how I know...

Instead, you need to "chase" the threads with a tap. I don't know the tap size, but just bring one of the bolts with you to a NAPA or Autozone and let them help you choose the right tap.

Good luck.

Steve

Last edited by SLandstra_Z06; 02-07-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:52 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

it's a M12x1.75, might want to chase the threads in the rear cradle, and run a die over the bolt.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:17 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I had that once, chased the threads & it was fine. Always be careful with these.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:44 PM
6SPEEDZ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like the others said run a tap through the hole. If the threads are really screwed up you will have to get a helicoil. You will have to drill it out to the requested helicoil tap size, run the helicoil tap down the hole, and screw in the helicoil. After your all done you can use the stock bolt as long as the threads are OK.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:54 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

I got a tap and die set and have been giving it a try. The tap gets tight and force it a bit past that point, then work it back out and find some alum shavings. Try the bolt and get a bit further, then gets real hard. Repeated this three times and looking like it will take hours with the exhuast still hooked up as I have to keep taking the tap handle off to reposition and turn. Looks like would have to tap all the way through and this bolt has over two inches of thread. Thinking I would rather spend $100 to my shop than spend all day on this.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:31 PM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are on the right track. Keep working the tap, or better yet a thread chaser, into the threads until you get the threads fixed far enough to turn the bolt in all the way and to the proper torque. Do not over torque the bolt, because you're running a steel bolt into an aluminum cradle and can strip out the aluminum threads if you over torque the bolt. If the threads strip out, the only fix is to put in a helicoil as described in another post.

Be careful and good luck.

Last edited by SLandstra_Z06; 02-07-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:36 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by kwhiteside
I got a tap and die set and have been giving it a try. The tap gets tight and force it a bit past that point, then work it back out and find some alum shavings. Try the bolt and get a bit further, then gets real hard. Repeated this three times and looking like it will take hours with the exhuast still hooked up as I have to keep taking the tap handle off to reposition and turn. Looks like would have to tap all the way through and this bolt has over two inches of thread. Thinking I would rather spend $100 to my shop than spend all day on this.
You are getting frustrated, this requires patience. Take a break rather than force the issue. Should take maybe less than 1 hour. Can you get a 3/8 ratchet on the tap? Or a t handle that slides on the tap handle?

Switch out the bolt for one of the "good" ones that has not been crossed. Should not need to rr exhaust. The correct tool is actually a thread chaser which is different from a tap. The thread chaser reforms threads that are not too far gone. The tap cuts, so you have to be careful with a tap. Also make damn sure the tap is 100% squared off to the hole. It will try to get "cocked" and follow the path of least resistance. I did use a tap and was successful.

You probably did not cross all the way to the end of the hole (unless you gunned it on with an air tool), so once you get thru the crossed part the tap will turn easier.

You can do it. For a helicoil you will very likely need to remove exhaust so it's worth trying hard to do this yourself. When you chase a threaded hole with a tap you are making the tolerances bigger, so maybe back off the torque spec a little & use a couple of drops med. locktite to secure it when done.

imo

Last edited by froggy47; 02-07-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:45 PM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by froggy47
The correct tool is actually a thread chaser which is different from a tap. The thread chaser reforms threads that are not too far gone.
Pic of chaser?
Old 02-07-2010, 05:24 PM
froggy47
Race Director

http://www.bikernet.com/jims/PageViewer.asp?PageID=2282

Here is a link to some sae thread chasers.

The one Slandstra posted is for spark plug hole threads.

You should be able to do it with the tap if you go slow & careful, but if you cut a new set of threads you will not be able to tighten a bolt in the hole & will need to go helicoil.

It's probably easier to find helicoil than find thread chasers (locally) unless you order online & wait for delivery. Locally I could not even find anyone who knew what a thread chaser was.

Last edited by froggy47; 02-07-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:17 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
chase the threads in the rear cradle, and run a die over the bolt.
So how ironic is this thread?
Old 02-07-2010, 09:22 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
So how ironic is this thread?
just coming behind you cleaning up, just like my 1 yr old
Old 02-09-2010, 07:34 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by drivinhard
just coming behind you cleaning up, just like my 1 yr old
Sometimes Katie works on our car, so I get a lot of practice at stuff like this too.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:56 AM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jason
Sometimes Katie works on our car, so I get a lot of practice at stuff like this too.
Ouch, I already said I was mechanically challenged. That's kind of salty.

So what have I learned. First I put the bracket bolt on loose just to hold it, then I did the endlinks, then I tigthened the two left bolts and moved over to this one. It really seems kind of poor to me (slower for sure), but I guess when dealing with aluminum, get everything threading in straight before tightening anything.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Default Need some direction...shocks or sways?

oops

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on T1 Sway install needed.

Quick Reply: Advice on T1 Sway install needed.