Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross Border HPDE - Any Trouble With Customs, etc ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 06:06 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Cross Border HPDE - Any Trouble With Customs, etc ??

I just read a post about events this summer at Mossport and would like to try that track. For US drivers crossing the border, are there any problems ? Are there any special permits or customs documents required to bring your car, trailer and spare parts into Canada ? I know that a passport is now required by the authorities. Don't want to have any hastles. What has your experience been ??
Old 02-10-2010, 06:26 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I can tell you that when we come from Canada to the US and then back again for a track day there really isnt any issue. Just let them know its a driving school event and not a race and you will be back in a couple days, that way they dont think there is prize money involved or anything like that. We never really get hassled about parts or anything else and most of us trailer our cars. You may have to open the trailer so they can see its a car inside (if enclosed) so make sure you also have the title that shows is your car. To be safe, bring a copy of the registration for that shows where you are going and why, and let us know when you are coming
Old 02-10-2010, 07:06 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Bring your Pass Port
Old 02-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

If you don't have a passport get yourself an enhanced ID driver's license. You don't need it or the passport when leaving the US but you will need it when you come back. I got the enhanced driver's license last year and it works very well. As you approach the checkpoint from the stop point everybody in the car holds their IDs up and a scanner located in the checkpoint lane reads the license and all of its data. The Border Patrol Officers then know who you are and some other data about you before you get to them. If you don't do any international travel other than to Canada the enhanced driver's license takes less time to get than a passport and the cost is less. Check with your state's DMV.

Bill
Old 02-10-2010, 08:12 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have gone to Canada for an event the last 3 years and had 0 issues at the border. They have never even looked in my trailer. The normal questions are: Where are you going? Are you bringing everything back with you? Any alcohol or tobacco? How long will you be there?

By the way, if you want to go to Mosport, you should come to Calabogie as well. It's another 4 hours east of Mosport, but it's a great track. We are running there on August 28-29 and then going to Mosport the following 2 days.

Shoot me a note if you're interested.

Ken
Old 02-10-2010, 08:30 PM
urtoslo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there going to be insurance issues? Like your insurance doesn't cover you there?
Old 02-10-2010, 08:39 PM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by urtoslo
Are there going to be insurance issues? Like your insurance doesn't cover you there?
As long as you don't run into any of our iglos, you'll be covered!
Your insurance will cover you when you come to Canada.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:50 PM
JRD77VET
Team Owner

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by bb69
I have gone to Canada for an event the last 3 years and had 0 issues at the border. They have never even looked in my trailer. The normal questions are: Where are you going? Are you bringing everything back with you? Any alcohol or tobacco? How long will you be there?

Just so you know..... Pepper spray and mace are prohibited items along with switch blades.

Expect to be asked about firearms at least three times while sitting at the drive thru lane in Customs.

My wife and I go to Ontario Canada three different weeks each year for fishing. We also take our daog, any pets brought into Canada must be current on their shots, bring paperwork from the vet to prove it. We had that to the Customs Officer along with our passport .

Once we were "chosen" going into Canada to have our vehicle scanned. We pulled over where they pointed, exited the vehicle ( with the dog ) and a big boom truck drove past the vehicle while a tech looked at the scanned/ x-ray pictures. I had coolers, a couple tool boxes, four big tackle boxes and other gear in the suburban & trailer. We were back on our way in under 15 minutes
Old 02-11-2010, 03:29 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by urtoslo

That's Mexico. When you go to Canada and drive on the QEW or the 401 be sure to be preparred to drive fast. Canadians don't let the moss gather when they are on the road. It is usually a joy to drive there because of that.

Bill
Old 02-11-2010, 07:52 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
That's Mexico. When you go to Canada and drive on the QEW or the 401 be sure to be preparred to drive fast. Canadians don't let the moss gather when they are on the road. It is usually a joy to drive there because of that.

Bill
I thought the 401 was the worlds largest parking lot ?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:48 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Weekdays between 7am-10am and 3pm - 7pm Be prepared to park... any other time, be prepared to dodge the insane crazy drivers.

If you cross at Buffalo, you will take the QEW towards toronto... best bet is to take the 407 (toll hwy) smooth sailing and it ends about 20 min away from Mosport. Its an electronic toll though so I think they mail the bill to out of towners.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

The 407 is a great bypass around Toronto...and the bill for the toll (if it ever arrives) states "failure to pay this bill will result in a suspension of your Ontario license plate registration renewal", or something to that effect. Oh no.

I have a racing buddy who is a US Customs agent at the Canadian border...they're used to seeing race cars, trailers etc. all the time.

If you're nervous about bringing a bunch of stuff in your trailer (spares, toolboxes etc), just fill out a Customs form 4455...

http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_4455.pdf

...with rough descriptions ("toolbox", "4 spare wheels and tires", etc), stop at US Customs on the way OUT of the US, & have them stamp the form. Basically, it's then an official document stating "I left the US with this crap, so don't bust my stones when I come back to the US with it". I've also had US Customs guys say "Don't fill that stuff out...it's just more paperwork for us to deal with".

Crossing the border is no big hassle. They do have the right to search your stuff...so make sure you're not bringing any prohibited items. Just beware (as some have already mentioned) that traffic jams at the border can be lengthy. There are Customs web sites where you can monitor "delay times" at each border crossing...pretty handy.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:52 PM
cebars
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bring your Pass Port
Paper passport yes, but if you are referring to a radar detector, the government took away our freedom to have these things in a vehicle up here. They need the revenue.

Ontario has laws where they will seize your vehicle if you are so many KM over the speed limit. Don't know how that works after driving on 401. It's way safer at the few road tracks I have been on.

During the week, RM's home shop was worth a trip off 401 for me...
RM Auctions Inc.
One Classic Car Drive
Chatham / Blenheim, ON
Old 02-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

I do the cross Canada trek from New York to Michigan at least once per year. Traffic can move quite fast on the 401. Not sure what speed the police stop people for but I have been doing quite a few KM/H over the limit and went by many a police car watching traffic from the center divider. They didn't seem to be bothered by 140 (87 mph) in a 100 mph zone.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Cross Border HPDE - Any Trouble With Customs, etc ??

Quick Reply: Cross Border HPDE - Any Trouble With Customs, etc ??