Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indycar "Delta Wing" Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 07:13 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Indycar "Delta Wing" Revealed

story:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...g-project//P1/

pics:

http://www.speedtv.com/gallery/view/...=750&width=844

Mid-Ohio lap Sim:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rah0R...layer_embedded
Old 02-10-2010, 07:49 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Holy cow. That thing fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. Its uglier than Andrea Dworkin.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW! Regardless of how it looks, aerodynamically that thing takes it to another level - extreme lift/drag ratios.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:53 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

uhh... Batmobile anyone?
Old 02-11-2010, 12:41 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mgarfias
Holy cow. That thing fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. Its uglier than Andrea Dworkin.
Agreed. Looks like a bonniville land speed record racer. I think that could finish off open wheel racing at the pro level in America single handed.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:04 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Originally Posted by grantar2
Agreed. Looks like a bonniville land speed record racer. I think that could finish off open wheel racing at the pro level in America single handed.
It seems to me that the clowns in Indianapolis have tried for years to kill open, wheel champ car racing. Only in the last year or two, has interest in the IRL and US open wheel racing seemed to make a bit of a comeback. That thing could be just what they need, to finally sink the IRL. The current Dallara has to much of a kit car look for me. That thing would be like watching a bunch of little kids racing Big Wheels!

I agree that reducing or eliminating all the wings, could improve overtaking, and open wheel racing, as a whole. Still, with such a narrow front track and no front wings whatsoever, I find it hard to believe that it wouldn't understeer terribly.

It's an idea that reminds me of NASCAR's failed experiment, the Car Of Tomorrow!
Old 02-11-2010, 09:51 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Looks to be more @ home @ Bonneville than Indy
Old 02-11-2010, 11:06 AM
fej
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does something like that drive over curbs etc ala F1? How many more wrecks would there be with cars sticking their narrow nose in under someone and having the guy close the door with the giant rear end?

NHRA does fine on its own, I don't think we need dragsters running around road courses, even if the technology is there. Sex sells as the saying goes, and that car is not sexy at all, and looks nothing like what any "average" person drives, not that an average person drives an indy car, but they can identify with the chassis and design basis for the vehicle much more so than that delta wing car.

Fej

Last edited by fej; 02-11-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:26 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Joe, I read the stories and looked at the pictures. I'm no aerodynamicist but I think the F1 aerodynamicists are probably laughing themselves silly over this one. I can't see where the front end would get enough downforce for grip to allow for turn-in.....particularly on a relatively slow corner.

Last edited by 63Corvette; 02-11-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:31 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I can't see where the front end would get enough downforce for grip to allow for turn-in.....particularly on a relatively slow corner.
slower corners require LESS downforce
Old 02-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Looks like something from Speed Racer. Yuck, maybe as a video game for little kids. Just my .02.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Scooter 94
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This car is consistent with Indycar's typical approach to things: Ignore common sense; do it anyway.

Like when the 500 start time was moved an hour later and made it even less likely for a driver to do the 500/600 double...just another example of open wheel mindset the last 15 years or so.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:56 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

interesting read, thanks for the link.

I like the idea of limiting power based on fuel consumption, but I also think he is making some bold statements calling F1 technology inferior... unless I missed something in the artical all they've done so far are simulations.

regardless I'm interested to see how/when/if it performs.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:53 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
slower corners require LESS downforce
Perhaps my response lacked specificity. A wide track will always outperform a narrow track on corner entrance for a number of reasons, both mechanical and aerodynamic. I see no aerodynamic aids on this design to indicate that it will outperform a wider design of the same aerodynamics. Similarly, I see no mechanical advantage to this narrow track front design. Therefore I can see (I repeat, I am not a trained aerodynamicist) no reason to assume that this design would be superior to a current standard wide track front suspension design.

Last edited by 63Corvette; 02-12-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:31 AM
Scooter 94
Drifting

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Perhaps my response lacked specificity. A wide track will always outperform a narrow track on corner entrance for a number of reasons, both mechanical and aerodynamic. I see no aerodynamic aids on this design to indicate that it will outperform a wider design of the same aerodynamics. Similarly, I see no mechanical advantage to this narrow track front design. Therefore I can see (I repeat, I am not a trained aerodynamicist) no reason to assume that this design would be superior to a current standard wide track front suspension design.
You don't have to be an aerodynamicist to recognize when an engineer has his head up his ***...which the designer of the Deltawing obviously does. It's freakin' huge! Why not something smaller, like a P-51 drop tank or Jim Clark's Lotus. How complicated can that be?? Throw in a 1300cc sportbike engine, some skinny tires, and let 'er rip.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter 94
You don't have to be an aerodynamicist to recognize when an engineer has his head up his ***...which the designer of the Deltawing obviously does.
You might want to do a little research before you say things like that.

"Ben Bowlby has spent the past 24 years designing, engineering and tweaking race cars - primarily the open wheel version. A graduate of the University of East London, he went to work for Lola in 1991 and stayed with that company through 2002. He created arguably one of the most durable and successful chassis of all time with the 2002 Lola in its five years of operation in CART and Champ Car. He left Lola for Chip Ganassi’s team in 2003, where he helped tune Scott Dixon’s title-winning Panoz." - Robin Miller

It's freakin' huge!
I'm guessing that it will actually be smaller than the current cars (or at least no bigger.)

Why not something smaller, like a P-51 drop tank or Jim Clark's Lotus. How complicated can that be??
The idea is a car design that takes things into the future, not back to the past. A P-51 tank (!) or even Clark's Lotus is not remotely safe enough for 225 mph *average* laps around Indy. Those were the days when people *regularly* died in the things.

Throw in a 1300cc sportbike engine, some skinny tires, and let 'er rip.
The idea is 300 hp in a car with roughly HALF the weight of the current cars and much, much less drag.

Here's another good read on this:
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ilver-vitamin/

Z//
Old 02-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Scooter 94
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
You might want to do a little research before you say things like that.
The man's an idiot to think any sponsor would wanna put their name on that monstrosity. (Yep, head up his ***.) Good engineer, but fails to grasp the most important thing...how it appeals to fans and sponsors. Good overall concept with getting lots of suppliers of parts/chassis/cars, lowering costs, while maintaining current performance levels, etc. But geesh, makes people puke just looking at it.

The trike configuration has never translated well into mass market passenger cars due to lousy packaging. This flying ***** is no different. Just worse.

Get notified of new replies

To Indycar "Delta Wing" Revealed

Old 02-13-2010, 10:04 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

This flying ***** is no different. Just worse.
Bump for flying *****.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:57 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

With that narrow front track and (relatively) skinny front tires vs the rear, I can't see that thing being thrown into a corner at high speeds without the tail wagging the dog. /:\
Old 02-15-2010, 08:03 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Throw in a 1300cc sportbike engine, some skinny tires, and let 'er rip.
Jimmy ran those narrow treaded tires because he didn't know any better. Slicks were discovered, later, by accident.

Quick Reply: Indycar "Delta Wing" Revealed