Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some C4 Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:20 AM
GPSMatt
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some C4 Questions.

First off I am new to the site and new to vettes. I have several *gasp* mustangs. They make great track cars with ALOT of work but at the end of the day I am still playing catch up to the vettes. Here are a few pics of my current track car project Suspension is pretty much all done (3 link pan hard bar coil overs etc etc) Waiting on my new rotating assembly for the motor stroked 302 347 AFR heads FTI cam etc etc with a TKO behind it.

anyways I am just looking for some info suspension stuff looking for good places to get parts good setups to run etc.. . Ive got an LS1 that was going to go in my mustang but luckily I saved it for another project so at this point I am looking for a roller to put the LS1 and a T56 in. I know not to get an automatic because it doesnt have the D44 but other than that I dont really know what years are good what to look out for and all that good stuff.

How does a "track prepped" c4 stand up against a c5? I was looking into getting a c5Z for a while but the c4s are more appealing to me.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GPSMatt; 02-12-2010 at 04:24 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:19 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a budget track car C4's are great. If I had 20,000 to spend and either get a C4 and mod it or get a C5Z06...I would take the C5Z. There completely different animals and the C5Z's are just years ahead of C4's...yeah yeah I know people are going to say what about the ZR1's and grandsports ect but really the C5 is sooo much different on track.

If I was looking for a C4 track car though I would look for an 89+ with a ZF 6 speed trans. I like the L98 even though they don't make much hp (with the stock intake) but they are reliable and have a lot of torque. You could find a 85+ with an L98 that had/has the 4+3 and put a ZF6 in it...that's what I did and it's one of the best things you can do to a 4+3 car. The 4+3's are ok for track duty but on fast tracks where you are forced to use the overdrive in 4th the overdrives are not the strongest and if you break it they are expensive to fix.

Another GREAT upgrade to the C4's is putting C5 brakes on the front. It goes from feeling like plywood on steel to how brakes should feel on the track.

C4's can actually fit 335/30/18's all the way around for the track. To do it you need to talk to John at CCW and get all front offset rims that are all 18X12's. Then you run a 1/2" spacer on the rear. It will rub some on the rear but no big deal and you can't get a full 2 turns on the steering wheel but you can get enough that you won't have any problem on a road race course. Having 335's on the front is pretty nice

So in summary I personally would look for a ZF6 C4 preferably with a L98. Then I would spend $800-1000 on C5 brakes and another $1000-$1500 on exhaust/headers and a set of CCW classics and call it a day. Just my opinion based on owning and racing my C4. BTW my new track monster is going to be a C5 Fixed Roof Coupe but I am keeping the C4 as a back up. I really would look for a stock C5 coupe or Fixed Roof Coupe or Z06 over modding a C4 though.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:13 AM
GPSMatt
Cruising

I have ccw classics on my mustang and I would for sure be getting some for the vette .

I have some c5 calipers laying around that I was going to put on a third gen camaro I never built so thats cool I can get some use out of them.

335 30 18s wow that is a big tire does any one have pics of a c4 with that size tires?

As far as the motor goes I have the LS1 and would want to use that with either a t56 or a TKO with a RR 5th behind it.

I would say I am dead set on building a C4 when its all said and done I know I could have had a c5Z but I am already at that point with my mustang. If i never built that and the money I would spend on building a c4 I could have a C6Z.

What are some search terms I can look for? I found a lot of good info on this site on coil over stuff and whats needed to put coil overs on the earlier cars.

C4 compared to C5.. I know its going to be comparing apples to oranges but right now I am working with a fox body mustang basically a 78 fairmont the 3 link and pan hard bar have helped out tremendously.. but it is what it is. I am trying to avoid the tempting miata route and hte C4 looks like a great platform to build off of.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:31 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I run a C4 with the L98 engine. I've been doing it for 10 years now. It's hard to compare a C4 to a C5 because there's usually so much difference in the drivers. Danny Kellermeyer drives both and says at most tracks the times are about the same. Keep in mind that his cars are perfect and he's one of the best driver's around. Your results may be rather different.

Corvette Fever is doing a series of articles on using an LS1 in a C4. Dave Emanuel is the head guru on this deal. He loves to make fun of me for running the old engine. He's says he gets more power for half the money.

Dave is on Facebook if you want to bug him. You can also find Alan Colvin on Facebook. He's the Corvette Fever Editor.

Richard Newton
Speed TV Blog
C4 Rear Suspension
Old 02-12-2010, 03:55 PM
GPSMatt
Cruising

thats good to here that you guys are having success with these cars on the track. what all else is done to the suspension on your car?
Old 02-12-2010, 04:41 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Here's a great primer for a C4 as a track car

http://www.tccracing.com/gettingstarted.htm
Old 02-12-2010, 07:28 PM
TJM
Drifting

This is a totally prejudiced opinion.

The beauty of the C4 is the fact that they are kind to the wallet.

I am $5,500 into a C4 and have most everything except the tires and exhaust.

Bought a good ZF complete with bell housing clutch the works, same for the Dana 44, seats, bushings, C5 brake up grade, 18" C5 rims, DOM roll cage being bent up.

Motors are reasonable, there are TONS inexpensive performance parts out there, and there is more technical information than you can read on making more Hp than GOD should allow [ our you can use].

Our motor was picked up from a drag car and is being rebuilt with lower compression, a more road friendly cam, and different intake. $2,300 so far and it's about done. $800-$900 for exhaust and it is ready to go.

Ready to drive should be under $10,000 and weight 2800 lbs empty.

If you can pull your own wrenches and have a decent shop, these are perfect cars to drive fast.

C5 and C6 are great, but entry level for the car [ which you are going to tear apart] is $10,000 for a pig. Then you find out what Trans axles and LS motors cost!!! They ain't plentiful or cheap.

TJM
Old 02-12-2010, 10:01 PM
GPSMatt
Cruising

That is why the C4 appeals to me. I dont really want to buy a 20,000 car and tear into it right away. You guys have given me some good info thanks.

Whats the deal with the Z51 suspension? How does that do on the track?
Old 02-13-2010, 08:19 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a track C4 for sale so you don't have to do the tearing-into: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4s-...track-car.html
Old 02-14-2010, 01:15 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

rfn026, where did you get your rear spoiler and does it help or is it just for looks?
Old 02-14-2010, 07:49 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

The rear spoiler is a GM part from around '87. It was part of a package they created for the World Challenge cars - I think. They never sold many as it was part of a homologation package. I'm not sure how well it works but I do know that is was developed in the GM wind tunnel. Actually it's the only C4 spoiler I know of that's been inside a wind tunnel.

A couple of aftermarket companies have created knock offs of this spoiler but I'm not sure who currently has the ability to make one.

Richard Newton
My Speed Blog
My C4 Stuff
Old 02-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look under my user name at threads I have made I made a thread awhile ago about selling my C4. It has some good pictures of the work I have done to it to make it a good track car. I would link to it right now but I am parked in IA and don't have good internet. I can post more pictures of stuff if you want me too later. BTW my C4 is NOT for sale anymore...sorry.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:33 PM
GPSMatt
Cruising

I will search those threads thanks.

I picked this up yesterday:

Its a 86 manual maybe not the optimal car to build but the price was more than right and it should be a solid platform to build what I want. I thought about getting a finished one but that takes the fun out of it for me.

oh yeah and it has sweet chevy symbol tail pipes.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:23 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

congrats!

and welcome aboard
Old 02-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,741 Likes on 939 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Good job! Welcome to the madness!!
Old 02-16-2010, 03:56 PM
GPSMatt
Cruising

Thanks guys.

I was looking at the DRM stuff the price is good and it all seems like quality stuff.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:17 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm Eric's (Git Er Dun) dad. I've driven his '87 on the track. It's a heck of a great track car. Here's a shot of it with those big tires all round:

Here's one coming around turn 10 at Brainerd Int. Raceway:

Get notified of new replies

To Some C4 Questions.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:46 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GPSMatt
I will search those threads thanks.

I picked this up yesterday:

Its a 86 manual maybe not the optimal car to build but the price was more than right and it should be a solid platform to build what I want. I thought about getting a finished one but that takes the fun out of it for me.

oh yeah and it has sweet chevy symbol tail pipes.
Hey, You took my trailer I have one just like it!!!

We have some great products! Just let me know if you have any questions!

Randy
763-477-9272
Old 02-20-2010, 10:04 PM
GPSMatt
Cruising

Thanks randy! I have been eye balling some stuff on your guys site I will be giving you a call really soon.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:09 PM
GPSMatt
Cruising

Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4
I'm Eric's (Git Er Dun) dad. I've driven his '87 on the track. It's a heck of a great track car. Here's a shot of it with those big tires all round:

Here's one coming around turn 10 at Brainerd Int. Raceway:

That car is bad *** I checked out his for sale thread. LOVE the way it looks with those wheels. Black center CCWs are ftw.

Quick Reply: Some C4 Questions.