Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA Question for Comp School ($$$$)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 05:55 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default NASA Question for Comp School ($$$$)

I just want to make sure I am getting my numbers $$$$ correct. Hopefully any NASA racers can step in and help.

If you want to do a comp school and (1) race with a rental car during the same weekend (my car is not race legal). I've broken down the following costs. I was looking into NJMP during April (NASA Northeast)

Comp school $270
1 Actual Race $270
2 Day Rental of BMW E-30 ($700 x 2) = $1400 (chepest rental I could find)

Is it really gonna cost me $1940 to participate in one 20 minute race in an E-30? Is this accurate?
Old 02-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I just want to make sure I am getting my numbers $$$$ correct. Hopefully any NASA racers can step in and help.

If you want to do a comp school and (1) race with a rental car during the same weekend (my car is not race legal). I've broken down the following costs. I was looking into NJMP during April (NASA Northeast)

Comp school $270
1 Actual Race $270

Is it really gonna cost me $1940 to participate in one 20 minute race in an E-30? Is this accurate?
No, technically that isn't correct.

It will probably be a 3 day weekend, so crank in 3 day's rental.

The comp school, is in Friday. At the end of that day there is a mock race. It really isn't mock because you are actually racing the other students for 5 or so laps at the end of the day.

Then you race Saturday in the regular race.

The same for Sunday.

So, in total you get 3 races or more races depending on how your region does Sunday. Some do a qualifying race on Sunday, and then hold the regular race at the end of the day.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:22 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Comp school $270
1 Actual Race $270

rent a cheaper car. bmw is way over rated. the tires will suck!

rent a Cadillac STV kick everyone's *** !
Old 02-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Abbott
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rule #1= Never add up the costs!
Old 02-15-2010, 09:59 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Abbott
Rule #1= Never add up the costs!
Old 02-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Greywolfe
Racer

I'm not a racer (yet) but I'm pretty good at math. I don't know what your exact situation is but I would put that rental money into building or buying a race car and then go to comp school once the car was legal.

If thats not an option for you then just disregard what I'm saying. It just seems like a lot of money (to me) to rent a race car.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:33 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

IIRC, $700/day is in the "range," especially if it includes trackside support. Often, going to driver's schools, the student is so busy going from class to track and back to track again, that if something happens to the car the student either cannot fix it or loses required track or classroom time.

If think I rented my first race car for $1000/day (including support and "local" delivery), and that was 2003.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:04 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's $2150 here in NorCal to do the SCCA school which is a two day deal (plus an evening of classroom). And that's in a Spec Miata. Supply your own car and it's $695, IIRC. The $2150 includes car plus crew for the school... it's aimed at the vintage guys so they keep the miles off their priceless babies. :-)
Old 02-16-2010, 08:45 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Greywolfe
I'm not a racer (yet) but I'm pretty good at math. I don't know what your exact situation is but I would put that rental money into building or buying a race car and then go to comp school once the car was legal.

If thats not an option for you then just disregard what I'm saying. It just seems like a lot of money (to me) to rent a race car.
For that price throw in another couple grand and I got a spec Miata. I am going to hit the NASA forums and see if one of the racers has an extra car at a better price. If someone would like an extra $1000 in their pocket, I don't need a crew and I'd even pick the car up and return it myself.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:00 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

For that price throw in another couple grand and I got a spec Miata. I am going to hit the NASA forums and see if one of the racers has an extra car at a better price. If someone would like an extra $1000 in their pocket, I don't need a crew and I'd even pick the car up and return it myself.
Do take some one with you to help out. Comp School day is very hectic and having and extra pair of hands around for little things will save you time.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:01 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

For comp school I would rent a car, Mid Ohio School has rentals I believe it was $450 for the day. Once we get our CMC car done it should be available.

Rentals can be expensive depending on the level of prep, hell sticker tires for the Vette are $1400.

I second the don't add it up rule
Old 02-16-2010, 10:19 AM
stairman
Racer

If I remember correctly Mid Ohio was about 500.00 for school and another 500.00 for their car. So for 1000.00 and one day you have it done. If you use their car and it breaks they get you another one and you complete the day, if its your car and it breaks you are out of luck
Old 02-19-2010, 12:07 PM
PorscheBoy
Instructor

Nasa Mid Ohio School is $470 and to rent an Acura is $530.
I have been through this school myself, with the Chief Raft Racer I might add.

I believe the schools vary dramatically from school to school and I'm sure there are some that provide minimul guidance. MOS is run by very experienced profesional Drivers and in my view worth the money considering the overall investment to get into this sport.

I rented and was thrilled. The cars are new, well maintained, have windows, heat, A/C etc. They pay for the gas and if somehting breaks it's on them. They also come with a $6,000 deductable!

If your car is not ready or financially you are not ready then wait a while. A comp License and no car don;t go together well.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:19 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PorscheBoy
Nasa Mid Ohio School is $470 and to rent an Acura is $530.
I have been through this school myself, with the Chief Raft Racer I might add.

I believe the schools vary dramatically from school to school and I'm sure there are some that provide minimul guidance. MOS is run by very experienced profesional Drivers and in my view worth the money considering the overall investment to get into this sport.

I rented and was thrilled. The cars are new, well maintained, have windows, heat, A/C etc. They pay for the gas and if somehting breaks it's on them. They also come with a $6,000 deductable!

If your car is not ready or financially you are not ready then wait a while. A comp License and no car don;t go together well.
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately the cost of traveling out to Mid-Ohio would negate the benefit. I live 35 minutes from NJMP and can just wake up in the AM and be home for dinner.

I am not trying to get a comp license to necessarily pursue racing. I just want to participate in ONE actual W2W race. I will never turn my C6Z into a race car or actually afford to race it if I did. If I did get into racing, I'd have to buy another car completely or sell my C6Z to pay for it, and not sure either are going to happen.

Hard to part with a 550hp car that is tricked out and just eats up the race track for a low level slow race car, just to do some W2W. Also, hard to justify a second car when your HPDE car cost you $60k.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:25 PM
stairman
Racer

That is the difference, it is not hard to justify when it is what you love to do.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:28 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think "just to do W2W" is the answer. Whatever speed and side-by-side fighting for position versus fast and out for a drive ... they're just ... different.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:08 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

T
Hard to part with a 550hp car that is tricked out and just eats up the race track for a low level slow race car, just to do some W2W. Also, hard to justify a second car when your HPDE car cost you $60k.
Oh Yah ?? Just you wait.

Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To NASA Question for Comp School ($$$$)

Old 02-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

You are also going to have to figure out paying me to drive the car for you too... I dont work for free kiddo..
Old 02-19-2010, 01:36 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chris@East Coast Supercharging
You are also going to have to figure out paying me to drive the car for you too... I dont work for free kiddo..
See, I figured it the other way. That ECS would sponsor me to drive one of THEIR cars in NASA. Free advertisement doesn't come cheap Chris
Old 02-20-2010, 12:03 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I think "just to do W2W" is the answer. Whatever speed and side-by-side fighting for position versus fast and out for a drive ... they're just ... different.
There are no "point-byes" in RACING.

Quick Reply: NASA Question for Comp School ($$$$)