Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:47 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gauge question?

Well i am finally getting a motor put into my car with a dry sump system from DRM.

Well i picked up a Pillar gauge pod to add the vacum gauge so i can monitor and make sure the dry sump pump is still going i know mabey not neccesary but My gal also drives the car and i wana be able to tell her if she is running the car that if that dose not register you need to shut the car down Imediately.

In any case i got a sweet deal on a dual gauge pod. So one slot for the vacum gauge. Is there another gauge i should possibly add in the extra slot? I really don't wana leave it blank What do you fellow track junkies suggest would be something to consider to monitor?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:34 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Air Fuel when you track it........everything else is already in your dash
Old 02-20-2010, 07:32 AM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
I thought about that. Since i had one in my Lightning and kinda liked being able to see it and when i was in the tuneing phase was very good tool. but once it was tuned and it was running good i never paid that much attention to it after that

My only other thoughts on that is usually by the time a person sees it going to lean isn't it a bit to late?
Old 02-20-2010, 11:20 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Works the other way too......too rich means losing power.....its a nice way to find out what your motor is doing. Washing down cylinders is a bad thing too.....

Every bit of information helps.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:29 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What Air-fuel gauge do you use I find them to jump around a bit too much to use on track. There is enough things going on normally to really look and study a gauge.

Randy
Old 02-20-2010, 12:36 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

I tell my 'other' driver (turbo car) to look at it under WOT on the front straight. The part throttle stuff....you are correct.....all over the place. We have two in his car, sweep and digital. The sweep is disconnected and the other is a wideband digital but I can't recall the brand. (Think it came from Germany)

I put a A/F setup in the Vette to collect data on our Racepak box. No gauge in her car tho.

Randy, you should be getting an order from her today.......since the SCCA brakes rule is so clustered, we are going to put in the SS pistons for now and upgrade to a BBK later.......

Last edited by CP Thunder; 02-20-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:53 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Steve what did you put in nathas car? with my Traqmate i could use it to log also if had one which probly wouldn't be all that bad either. I suppose if i got a gauge also i could log and check it periodically.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:46 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
Is EGT worth watching/logging with an LSx? I like AFR and EGT, too, but the problem is by the time you notice something wrong it's usually done the damage... at least with my little rotary. :-)
Old 02-20-2010, 05:50 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are worried about throwing a belt or something like that on your dry sump the best monitor you can have is a low oil pressure switch and a light wired to it somewhere on your dash where it is easily visible. Any 12v light will work. If you need it really big just get a light from a trailer side marker or something like that. There really is no time to look at guages much if you are driving hard.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:07 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Originally Posted by 97C5inSD
Hey Steve what did you put in nathas car? with my Traqmate i could use it to log also if had one which probly wouldn't be all that bad either. I suppose if i got a gauge also i could log and check it periodically.
The single sensor setup from racepak......

www.racepack.com
Old 02-20-2010, 06:14 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Is EGT worth watching/logging with an LSx? I like AFR and EGT, too, but the problem is by the time you notice something wrong it's usually done the damage... at least with my little rotary. :-)
We run in pretty extreme temp swings here in the midwest. It's nice to see (data) that we aren't leaning out or running too rich.....its just another indicator. We don't have a gauge in the Vette, only the Porsche (2.5 turbo 4) with boost control. He's popped two motors that I know of before I started with him and one since (turbo). Its a security thing.....
Old 02-20-2010, 06:56 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Track Boss thanks for the suggestion on the Sensor and the light i never thought of that. That could be a route option then i could run a sender for fuel pressure to be logged or A/F

Get notified of new replies

To Gauge question?

Quick Reply: Gauge question?