Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer question- need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 01:30 PM
peacekeeper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trailer question- need help

I have a 16' foot dovetail, dual axle trailer, bed dimensions are 82 1/2" wide, by 192" (obviously 16ft) long. I bought floor mount D rings that I am going to weld in, my question is can anyone tell me the optimum placement in the deck to install these. I have a 99 coupe and plan on using the frame slots to secure the car to the trailer. If you could please provide the measurments it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Bobby
Old 02-20-2010, 01:49 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

When I got my 18' trailer to haul my C4, I started by loading the car on the trailer to determine where it would sit so that the tongue weight would be correct (you should have 10 to 15 per cent of the total towed weight i.e. car and trailer, as the tongue weight). Once that is done, then you can determine where to place the D-rings. Also, with the car in that spot, mark the location of the front tires and install something like a piece of 2x4 for a front wheel stop. When you load the car and the wheels contact the stop it will always be in the same position. You can also mark the tie-downs for the proper length too.

For the front, you can run some string or cord from where the car's front tie down slots are and run the two pieces to the front of the trailer, making sure the string (tie-down straps) are clear of the inside of the tires.

Do the same for the rear, but cross the lines in an "X" fashion, again making sure that the lines don't rub against tires or suspension components. Crossing a pair of tie-downs help secure the car against any possible sideways movement.

Mark the locations where the D-rings can be installed securely. I would try to mount the D-rings as far forward at the front as you can and as far to the rear as you can. That way, if you have to haul any other car, you will have plenty of space between the front and rear D-rings.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:50 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My trailer is 18' and the D rings are pretty much in the 4 corners. You can see the rears in this pic and kinda make out the fronts. I also strap mine down using the frame slots and you can see how they fit.

Last edited by GettReal; 02-20-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:13 PM
peacekeeper
Instructor

Thanks for the quick replies!!
Old 02-20-2010, 07:26 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I had an 18' open Brimar before upgrading to enclosed and my d-rings were pretty much in the corners as well. The straps go forward from the front tie down attachments to the opposite side of the trailer and you can see how they go on the back in the above picture. I don't think it matters exactly where they go as long as you can get your straps across to them, and they really don't impact the car position all that much since they cross under the car. You can adjust the car position for proper tongue weight and then strap her down. I marked the center of the front axles with a decal on the side of the trailer so my spotter could help me position the car when I drove it on the trailer.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 02-21-2010, 11:16 AM
peacekeeper
Instructor

Originally Posted by Subdriver
I had an 18' open Brimar before upgrading to enclosed and my d-rings were pretty much in the corners as well. The straps go forward from the front tie down attachments to the opposite side of the trailer and you can see how they go on the back in the above picture. I don't think it matters exactly where they go as long as you can get your straps across to them, and they really don't impact the car position all that much since they cross under the car. You can adjust the car position for proper tongue weight and then strap her down. I marked the center of the front axles with a decal on the side of the trailer so my spotter could help me position the car when I drove it on the trailer.
Thanks for the info, take care
Old 02-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a Featherlite car hauler and the rings are 48" on center apart, both front and back. Works well, my Z has been hauled thousands of miles. Crossed straps of course.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:26 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Its been mentioned that you can mark a stop point or even make a stop but what I found was that since I have a dual height tirerack, there is a difference where I position the car based on how many wheels I'm carrying.. from empty to 3 sets (approx. 5-600lbs) I cant expect to keep my car in the same place everytime. Just food for thought for fixed length straps or stopping points.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:57 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GettReal
Its been mentioned that you can mark a stop point or even make a stop but what I found was that since I have a dual height tirerack, there is a difference where I position the car based on how many wheels I'm carrying.. from empty to 3 sets (approx. 5-600lbs) I cant expect to keep my car in the same place everytime. Just food for thought for fixed length straps or stopping points.
That's a good point. I only had a single tire rack on my 18' trailer and it was very rare that I towed without it full, so the mark option worked well for me.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:07 AM
peacekeeper
Instructor

Thanks all, appreciate the replies!!

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer question- need help

Quick Reply: Trailer question- need help