Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Installing 6 point harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 03:48 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! Installing 6 point harness

I have never used the wrap around shoulder harnesses before. I am installing them on my Hardbar harness bar. I don't feel like I'm getting the shoulder harness tight enough. No matter how tight I get them they still slide side to side and will rotate on the bar. Is this acceptable or am I doing something wrong? Thanks!
Old 02-20-2010, 04:45 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

many people whose setups I have seen in person don't bother securing shoulder straps to the harness/roll bar to prevent lateral movement.

your decision, I guess, but my common sense tells me you want them to stay in the same position. especially if you are using hans device which needs those straps to be a very specific positions to work.

my roll bar has brackets welded in for exactly this purpose. race shop that installed the bar did that without me even asking.

if you don't want to modify your bar, I suppose you could make "stops" from some roll bar padding strips and hose clamps. if you want even easier "fix", you could wrap some adhesive tape with non-smooth surface over the bar where the straps are secured, at least it would give you some friction. I doubt that would make much difference in an impact, though.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:49 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you sit in the seat and snug them over you, they won't move side-to-side on the harness bar...
Old 02-20-2010, 05:10 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

here is what schroth has to say about this, they specifically talk about it in the context of using a HANS device:

Always secure wrap around attachments against lateral sliding on the roll cage bar. Otherwise, severe injuries or death may occur
http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2...structions.pdf

they also suggest using roll bar padding to prevent lateral movement, although it seems the main concern is the belt sliding around when not loaded.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:59 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

On mine I installed a couple of roll bar/clamp collars with tapped holes in them to which I bolted a piece of aluminum flat bar to completely prevent the straps from going anywhere. You can get the collars from coleman. If I remember correctly they are 2".
Old 02-20-2010, 06:20 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many of you may findout that your belts are not secured properly.

Here's the real story from FIA.

http://www.fiainstitute.com/publicat...HANS_Guide.pdf

http://www.fiainstitute.com/publicat...HANS_Guide.pdf

As far as a harness bar, before my rollcage, I installed a R-D racing Cross Bar which is square tubing rather than round. Secure easily.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:23 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

What seats are you using?

when you say wrap around? do you mean wrap around the seat?

Shoulder harness must go though holes in the seat back, not wrap around the seat back.

If your seat back does not have holes for the shoulder harness, then that is the problem.

ie do not use shoulder harness, unless they go THOUGH the seat back in the appropriate holes.

from the Simpson web site
Old 02-20-2010, 07:07 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Tom: I bought a Sparco Corsa and since the weather has broke I wanted to get it installed. I didn't get a good feeling about the shoulder harness being able to move side to side like that. I have always used bolt in harnesses. I'm also not sure I like the Sparco seat it fits me but I just don't feel down in the seat. I have a lightweight Kirkey in my dirt race car I may see how it fits in a Corvette. I have the bolt on shoulder supports for it so it should hold me up well.

Longdaddy: Thanks for your input and link! I will do the rollbar padding tomorrow for sure.

Thanks again! You guys are awesome!
Old 02-20-2010, 07:53 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Originally Posted by ssdeuce
Longdaddy: Thanks for your input and link! I will do the rollbar padding tomorrow for sure.
you're welcome. I actually like trackboss's idea about clamps/collars more now
Old 02-20-2010, 09:04 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Some seats fit differnlty then others,

I use an Ultra-Shield. Like the Kirky you sit deep into the seat, not like the Sparko.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:09 PM
0Finspeed
Former Vendor

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ssdeuce
Tom: I bought a Sparco Corsa and since the weather has broke I wanted to get it installed. I didn't get a good feeling about the shoulder harness being able to move side to side like that. I have always used bolt in harnesses. I'm also not sure I like the Sparco seat it fits me but I just don't feel down in the seat. I have a lightweight Kirkey in my dirt race car I may see how it fits in a Corvette. I have the bolt on shoulder supports for it so it should hold me up well.

Thanks again! You guys are awesome!
I am a HANS certified dealer with factory training. HANS requires no more than 3" between the inside edges of the harness straps, where they attach to the harness bar. There also needs to ba about a 10* drop from your shoulders to the bar.
Let me know if I can help.

Daniel
Old 02-20-2010, 10:14 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I plan on getting these clamps for my Hardbar. Note: in this pic, belts are around seat and not through it, like they should be.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! Installing 6 point harness

Quick Reply: HELP! Installing 6 point harness