Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bedding PFC 99's

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:59 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default bedding PFC 99's

So picked up a set of these from MBS (on sale in another thread), will use them at NJMP in March. To bed new race pads, do you guys bed them on an empty section of street first, then swap them on at the track, or just put them on fresh at the track and use the first few laps?
Old 02-23-2010, 03:45 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is a dedicated trak car, not street legal. I use the first session of Saturday to bed brakes. I am cold, track is relatively cold, and I just take an easy session. Always grid last out of consideration for others and go fast enough to stay out of their way and not let them catch you if you can. Otherwise, just point a lot.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:20 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I bed mine on the street so they will be ready when I get to the track.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:33 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bed them on the street during a drive through an area with traffic lights at a time when there is light traffic. I drove around a few days on the street with them installed.

Be sure your rotors are not brand new--these should be used w/street pads for at least several weeks of daily street driving.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,749 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by WNDOPDLR
Mine is a dedicated trak car, not street legal. I use the first session of Saturday to bed brakes. I am cold, track is relatively cold, and I just take an easy session. Always grid last out of consideration for others and go fast enough to stay out of their way and not let them catch you if you can. Otherwise, just point a lot.
I bed my pads at the track during the first session as well. I was told the proper procedure is to do a few short stops followed by a few long stops (you dont actually have to stop, just slow down). What I do is build up some speed and stab the brakes, speed up, stab the brakes, speed up stab the brakes, than on the longer straights I dont drag the brakes but I am on them more than during a hot lap and slow more gradually from higher speed. After that I start to build up to 10/10ths while other things like tires and oil warm up.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:01 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

swapped these pads on last night and went out late night to do a few snubs. boy, lots of dust. they don't seem to be releasing too well when I let off the brake pedal. I have a good firm pedal. any pointers or you think that's expected until they are broken in a bit more? I wouldn't say they are fully bedded yet.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:22 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

How many times did you "snub" them? Seems like my XP12s suggested 4-6 60-25 mph stops and then 2-3 90-40 mph stops, park it and let it cool for 12hrs(?).
Old 03-22-2010, 11:54 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

probably a total of 10 from progressively higher speeds and pedal pressure as per MBSbrakes instructions. I was on the street however so did not get over 70mph. That may have to wait until first couple of laps on the 29th.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:37 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
probably a total of 10 from progressively higher speeds and pedal pressure as per MBSbrakes instructions. I was on the street however so did not get over 70mph. That may have to wait until first couple of laps on the 29th.
did you get them hot enough to get greasy? what color are the rotors?
Old 03-23-2010, 01:46 PM
J Ritt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do it on the street, just be careful! Try to find a place with long range visibility, no traffic, and as few potential obstacles entering the roadway as possible. You may find that it's impossible to get a really good bed-in on the street, simply because you can't get the pads hot enough. Race friction requires more heat to start transferring to the rotors. More heat is generated through stops from higher speeds (higher energy stops...where more rotating (kinetic) energy is transferred to heat energy).

This may be helpful for you...something I put together over the winter...explains a lot of the theory behind this topic:
http://www.essexparts.com/learning-center/Bed-in

Get notified of new replies

To bedding PFC 99's

Quick Reply: bedding PFC 99's