Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb that wants to get into Autox

Old 02-25-2010, 11:48 AM
zer0t
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Default Newb that wants to get into Autox

I thinking about getting a C5 to do some autox racing and perhaps some road courses. I was also considering a 911 for this chore but I am much more a vette guy. I am getting a lot of crap (mostly from Porsche folks) about the vette not being a good platform for this. The basic theme I get is, "it's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow."

At least they recognize that vettes are fast! ;-)

I come to this with no preconceived notions and am honest that I have only watched a couple of races and it looks like a blast.

Any advice, references, etc would be very helpful.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:38 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

zerOT, any car is fun to autocross. The question is will you be competitive for a win in competition. Since you are running against a class unless everyone there is a newbie the answer is no. You could be driving an F1 car, the guys with experience will win, they have already tweaked their cars, but more important they have seat time.
Unless your running a boxter, 914 or 944, the rest have all thier mass behind the rear wheels, hardly the optimal design. Either car is going to be better than you are likely to be. The vette is less expensive to run, fix and modify. In the end it really gets down to ego and what you want be known as. A porsche racer or a vette racer?
My thought is pick something and go race.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:26 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The C5's a great platform for Autox'ing!

The Z06 is in the top 4 platforms for SCCA Super Stock (SS) with the GT3, Elise, and Viper.

The C5 FRC may be the car to have in the new "A-Stock" class in 2010. This class was created for the the Non-Z06 C5s, the RX7TT, the 911s, M-Coupe and the Cayman S to play in.

I own both the Z06 for SS and a C5 Coupe for AS. If I had to get just one it would be a hard choice because they're both very competitive in their classes...but if I were going to track it too, then I'd settle on the Z06...fwiw.

Good Luck!
Old 02-25-2010, 04:01 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

The vette is a blast at the autocross...and everyone (whether they admit it or not), loves hearing the V8's roar around the track. Just get the vette, you'll love it!
Old 02-25-2010, 04:25 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C5 z06's are a very capable platform. Dollar to performance value is very high, and they are still very competitive in the SS class. New changes this year put the 99/00 FRC into AS, which will probably do pretty well, as before the last AS change an 00 FRC won the class.

All depends on how serious you want to be, and whether you want to make any mods. Headers, intake, and springs all move you into ASP/SP1 which is a pretty tightly contested class. Lots of options, but the C5 is a car that can grow with you and can be competitive in a lot of applications (autox and road)

G'luck
Fej
Old 02-25-2010, 09:29 PM
zer0t
Pro

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Wow--thanks for all the input folks. I want to be clear, I am already a vette guy. I have an 06 convertible, but would want a coupe car for running. I considered a z06, the thought I would get an FRC.

As far as mods go, if I enjoy, I am more than willing to invest.

I do actually very much appreciate the fact the vette is a great car and will be cheaper to mod, maintain. That is why I was leaning that way.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:59 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Here's why I love my C4. I had a rider with me...one that's been autocrossing for quite some time. Check out what he had to say at the end.

Here's what a vette can get ya...
Old 02-26-2010, 09:02 AM
zer0t
Pro

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

I wish you lived closer--I would have loved to do that ride.

Wow--I have a lot to learn.

Thanks for posting the video as it makes me realize I don't know s$&% about racing but it looks like a blast.

Any recommendations on how to approach learning? I generally shy away from things that I don't know much about so that I don't burden other folks with my novice ways.

I saw the sticky thread and it is very helpful.

Last edited by zer0t; 02-26-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:33 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Hey no problem. The best think I could advise is to find a club that does an annual novice school. Not sure if they all do it, but the club I'm with just did one last weekend. $60 for all day schooling, then half off the registration fees if you raced the next day. So for $80, you got a WHOLE WEEKEND of seat time. It was fun just working the school, the students certainly had a blast. If you get bored and want more C4 vids to watch, check out my youtube page.

I wish they'd bring back the rev-it-up series. I really learned a lot doing two of those. Good luck, have fun, and get ready to burn some rubber.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:53 PM
eschantra
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zer0t
Any recommendations on how to approach learning? I generally shy away from things that I don't know much about so that I don't burden other folks with my novice ways.
Don't. Most of the more experienced guys and gals are more than happy to help out a novice. Some clubs allow (and my local one requires) a novice to both ride with an experienced racer and also have an experienced person in the car with you for your first run. Don't be afraid to drive past your car's limits to find them, that's what an autocross venue is for. And have fun
Old 02-27-2010, 12:12 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eschantra
Don't. Most of the more experienced guys and gals are more than happy to help out a novice. Some clubs allow (and my local one requires) a novice to both ride with an experienced racer and also have an experienced person in the car with you for your first run. Don't be afraid to drive past your car's limits to find them, that's what an autocross venue is for. And have fun
Old 02-27-2010, 09:44 AM
zer0t
Pro

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

I will check with some of my local clubs in NJ. I would imagine the best way to find them is through the SCCA?

I am incredibly excited to give it try.

Thanks folks!
Old 02-27-2010, 09:59 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will check with some of my local clubs in NJ. I would imagine the best way to find them is through the SCCA?

Thanks folks!
I didn't realize you were in NJ. Here's a link that has all the local clubs in the NE. It's updated weekly and has the complete schedule under the tab to the left.

www.autox4u.com

I instruct for most of the clubs so be sure to seek me out and I'd be happy to share some tips with you and take you for spin.

Good luck.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:19 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If you are just starting out in autocross, there is really nothing wrong with your current car as a way to gain experience. As a Novice, you really don't need (or want) to do anything to the car in the way of mods other than use it to gain experience. It's called "Seat time" for a reason.

Start by reading the sticky "New to Autocross and Roadracing..." Lots of good information there. Also read this from the Tire Rack website.

As mentioned, there are many experienced autocrossers that will be happy to help you. Depending on the sanctioning body rules, you may be able to ride with somebody or they can ride with you. The more seat time you get, the more you will learn. That's why seat time is so important.

Track days may be another issue considering you have a convertible (some events won't allow them, some will). But autocross can help you to learn about performance driving. If there are road courses in your area, consider taking a class from a driving school. Many schools have cars available so that helps with the convertible issues.

I would suggest using your '06 for the first year of autocross and maybe even the second. Get seat time and learn the skills associated with scaring cones to death Don't hit 'em, just scare them

Oh, did I mention getting seat time??
Old 02-27-2010, 04:23 PM
zer0t
Pro

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Originally Posted by TedDBere
I didn't realize you were in NJ. Here's a link that has all the local clubs in the NE. It's updated weekly and has the complete schedule under the tab to the left.

www.autox4u.com

I instruct for most of the clubs so be sure to seek me out and I'd be happy to share some tips with you and take you for spin.

Good luck.
I certainly will and thanks for the offer.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:28 PM
zer0t
Pro

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
If you are just starting out in autocross, there is really nothing wrong with your current car as a way to gain experience. As a Novice, you really don't need (or want) to do anything to the car in the way of mods other than use it to gain experience. It's called "Seat time" for a reason.

Start by reading the sticky "New to Autocross and Roadracing..." Lots of good information there. Also read this from the Tire Rack website.

As mentioned, there are many experienced autocrossers that will be happy to help you. Depending on the sanctioning body rules, you may be able to ride with somebody or they can ride with you. The more seat time you get, the more you will learn. That's why seat time is so important.

Track days may be another issue considering you have a convertible (some events won't allow them, some will). But autocross can help you to learn about performance driving. If there are road courses in your area, consider taking a class from a driving school. Many schools have cars available so that helps with the convertible issues.

I would suggest using your '06 for the first year of autocross and maybe even the second. Get seat time and learn the skills associated with scaring cones to death Don't hit 'em, just scare them

Oh, did I mention getting seat time??
Practice, practice, practice. ;-)
Old 02-28-2010, 05:23 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Don't modify the car until you really really understand what the changes actually do. Both in terms of the rules and the performance.

I actually wrote the book on autocrossing. Go figure.

Richard Newton
Corvette Tech Stuff

Get notified of new replies

To Newb that wants to get into Autox

Old 02-28-2010, 10:59 AM
bse53
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually any non Z06 C5 will run in AS. Look for a Z51 suspension and you're good to go. Most think the FRC would be the car to drive, but there are some that think the additional rear glass weight (at the back where you want it) would be offset by removing the top.
There's not much to do to these cars in stock class.
Anti-sway bar, set of shocks, alignment and sticky tires and you're set.

Most clubs have a street tire class-- just show up and race (even there to be competitive you've need some sticky street tires, like the Kuhmo XS).

I agree that there is nothing like the sound of the C5 on course. I wish my C4 sounded like that!

Brian
Old 02-28-2010, 08:15 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks folks!
Also check out the national council of corvette clubs (NCCC). we hold alot of autocrosses throught the year just for corvettes of any year/style.

Here is a link to the east region schedule: http://www.ernccc.org/comp/points/Doc_points/cal.pdf
They do mostly car shows, but there are some autocrosses in there.

What's great about autocrossing is anybody at any level of driving skill can do it. Threre is always somebody there that is willig to help out new people. Just take anycar you have to an event and run it. Anytime you are on track you are learning. As you get better and find yourself wantig more, modify the car and go for more.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:31 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by shakedown067
Here's why I love my C4. I had a rider with me...one that's been autocrossing for quite some time. Check out what he had to say at the end.

Here's what a vette can get ya...
I thought some of the San Diego clubs get carried away with "lining the course with cones" but that's got them beat.

Nice run.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newb that wants to get into Autox