Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent C6Z06 Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:00 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Bent C6Z06 Wheel

Stock OEM wheel !!!!

I bent the inside lip of my front wheel on a freeway pot hole.

Is it really $125-150 to fix ??

Is it safe to run a repaired wheel at a track event (150 mph) ??

I don't think its real bad but I can feel some vibration at freeway speeds and you can see the wobble on the tire balancing machine.

DH
Old 02-26-2010, 01:16 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i did some research on this a while back. apparently, the repair process involves heating up the affected area.
this made me uncomfortable enough to buy new wheels instead but if replacement cost would have been higher (C5Z wheels are dirt cheap for how good they are), I might have reconsidered.

$120-$150 is a normal price for this service among the shops I contacted.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:34 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by longdaddy
i did some research on this a while back. apparently, the repair process involves heating up the affected area.
this made me uncomfortable enough to buy new wheels instead but if replacement cost would have been higher (C5Z wheels are dirt cheap for how good they are), I might have reconsidered.

$120-$150 is a normal price for this service among the shops I contacted.
My wheel is stock Comp Grey ..... I wonder if the heat causes the paint to fail ???

DH
Old 02-26-2010, 01:35 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

the straightening process will most likely affect the finish. the area will have to be re-finished.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:37 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

the straightening process will most likely affect the finish. the area will have to be re-finished.
Its the inside lip so as long as thats the only place it won't matter but I better ask before I get it repaired.

DH
Old 02-26-2010, 01:40 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

my concern would be less about cosmetics and more about a uniform surface along the seal between the tire and the wheel - you may want to ask the shop to wait with re-mounting the tire until you get a chance to inspect the results.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

my concern would be less about cosmetics and more about a uniform surface along the seal between the tire and the wheel - you may want to ask the shop to wait with re-mounting the tire until you get a chance to inspect the results.
My tire shop would be sending out the wheel. They would then be responsible that tire would mount/seal and wheel balance properly.

DH
Old 02-27-2010, 01:26 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
My tire shop would be sending out the wheel. They would then be responsible that tire would mount/seal and wheel balance properly.

DH
You must have some pretty dumb tire shop folks!

Why would they want to assume your liability for a small profit they may or may not make from sending you wheel out for straightening?? My money says they won't and it is your responsibility.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rbl
You must have some pretty dumb tire shop folks!

Why would they want to assume your liability for a small profit they may or may not make from sending you wheel out for straightening?? My money says they won't and it is your responsibility.
Well, since I'm a very good customer .... in there all the time, send them lots of business and they know I track the car.

Why would they not just say don't do it we will sell you a safe wheel ..... especially since there is such a small profit !!!!!

DH
Old 02-28-2010, 12:38 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I had a small bend in a Cobra Mustang rim repaired several years ago for right around $105. A local rim shop sent it out to someone and I had it back a day or two later. There was slight discoloration around the repaired area, but being on the inside it did not bother me. I went on to run the wheel troublefree for at least two more years before selling the set to someone else.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
I had a small bend in a Cobra Mustang rim repaired several years ago for right around $105. A local rim shop sent it out to someone and I had it back a day or two later. There was slight discoloration around the repaired area, but being on the inside it did not bother me. I went on to run the wheel troublefree for at least two more years before selling the set to someone else.
Thanks

DH
Old 02-28-2010, 03:11 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Well, since I'm a very good customer .... in there all the time, send them lots of business and they know I track the car.

Why would they not just say don't do it we will sell you a safe wheel ..... especially since there is such a small profit !!!!!

DH
By your analysis they should give you a wheel just for your patronage - maybe a full set.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rbl
By your analysis they should give you a wheel just for your patronage - maybe a full set.
I will let them know how you see it. A full set seems like the right thing to do, in both our opinions.

DH

Get notified of new replies

To Bent C6Z06 Wheel

Quick Reply: Bent C6Z06 Wheel