Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kirkey Seats installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:09 PM
ZO6NTHEWIND
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Kirkey Seats installed

Well it took a while to gather everything up.

I bought the seats on clearance from a shop in New Jersey. I found the Team Tec Harness used on this forum from a member in Idaho. The seat rails came from Hard Bar. (and took a while to get them shipped in between the blizzards in New Hampshire) The Harness Bar also from Hard Bar was provided by my friend Dennis. Together we put everything together this past weekend. All I can say is these seats are awesome! I can't wait for our first track day at Barber later this month.
Enclosed are some pictures of the install and the finished product.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-02-2010, 10:21 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

COOL!!! Looks great Dave
Old 03-02-2010, 10:59 PM
ZO6NTHEWIND
Racer

Originally Posted by BERETTA
COOL!!! Looks great Dave

Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:51 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Couple of questions, you look like a big boy, whats your height, weight and waist? Did the seats buy you much head room. Do the hardbar rails allow you fore and aft adjustment or do you have to bolt them in a fixed position. What model Krikey are you running? Are you going to leave them in or just for track use? Are they comfortable enough for street driving? Can you use your stock belts?

Thanks
Art
Old 03-03-2010, 06:17 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by grantar2
Couple of questions, you look like a big boy, whats your height, weight and waist? Did the seats buy you much head room. Do the hardbar rails allow you fore and aft adjustment or do you have to bolt them in a fixed position. What model Krikey are you running? Are you going to leave them in or just for track use? Are they comfortable enough for street driving? Can you use your stock belts?

Thanks
Art
Here is my experience with hardbar rails and kirkey roadrace deluxe seats.

I am 6'2", 250lbs, 42in waist and 48in chest. I have the kirkey road race deluxe size 17 in my c5. With my thick firesuit I fit fine.

With the seat on the hardbar rails most people have plenty of headroom because the setup puts you lower to the floor. I have no issues.

Hardbar rails have many holes for fine tuning your seat adjustment but once in the car you cannot make further adjustments without taking them out. At first I was a bit concerned about not being able to make adjustments but after everything was set up it doesn't bother me.

I run kirkey road race deluxe.

I planned to take them out when not at the track but I find them comfortable for the street driving I do.

I do not see how you could use the stock seatbelts with this seat.

Hope this helps and the OP I am sure will fill in his opinions.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:46 AM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have the same project going on and would like to ask a question. In the Hardbar seat rail instructions it has you transfer the stock seat belt from the OEM drivers seat to the race seat. Do I also need to remove the box that is under the drivers seat that connects to the wiring harness on the floor? I assume this is for the Airbag? Thanks!
Old 03-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Nice job Dave. That means more track time this year!!
Old 03-03-2010, 09:54 AM
ZO6NTHEWIND
Racer

Thanks
Art
Art

Good questions. I am 235lbs, 38 waist. 5'11'". Don't know my chest measurement. Like most 'old guys' (55) I've got a bit of belly.

When we started on the passenger side we just gave it a guess as far as the position and put the adjustment as low as possible. When we first trial fitted it the top of the seat hit the roof. We thought 'holly cow' how are these going to fit???? We took it out and went way low on the back, slight tilt up front. We ended up have to grind a little of the bracket on the rear to clear a little tab on the seat. After a few more tries we got it where it would fit just right, just clearing the roof, back almost all the way to the rear.
We then thought 'lets try this same set up on the drivers side'. So we put that seat in the drivers side. Well it was just way off and we had to start all over again.
For the drivers side we ended up turning the rear plate sideways for a different adjustment. After a few times in and out we got that one too.
The whole process was helped along because Dennis (Beretta on the forum) had put seats in his car so he had some experience in this.
We did retain the factory belts. The latch part was unbolted from the factory seat and bolted on the Hard Bar rails. There is BARELY enough room between the seat and the console for it to fit. Despite what I have read the factory belts go across my chest and across my lap without hitting the seat.

These seat are the Kirkey Road Race Seat, both are 17". I do not believe that anything bigger would fit.

As far as comfort, these are really! really! comfortable! My car is street driven, not really a DD. I don't plan on taking these out at all. The difficult part is just getting in and out of the car. Trying to squeeze out from the seat in between the steering wheel. I am thinking about getting a removable steering wheel.
Dennis has set of Corbeau seats in his Z06. The drivers side is the smaller one and the passenger is the bigger model. I drove his car and have ridden in the passenger side. I really wanted these seats to work for me as they about about half the cost. But they just did not feel right. I've ridden in a few cars with 'fiberglass' or whatever they are made of and I have never said 'hay this is a great seat what brand is it' I'm getting one of these. I just took a chance with these. I still have to get a back brace for them. I'm real happy with my choice.

BTW the 'Big Boy' in the picture is Dennis.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2010, 09:56 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Looking good, Dave. I guess Dennis is a bad influence on you.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:00 AM
ZO6NTHEWIND
Racer

Originally Posted by ssdeuce
I currently have the same project going on and would like to ask a question. In the Hardbar seat rail instructions it has you transfer the stock seat belt from the OEM drivers seat to the race seat. Do I also need to remove the box that is under the drivers seat that connects to the wiring harness on the floor? I assume this is for the Airbag? Thanks!
Don't know what box you are talking about. Maybe Dennis will chime in about this. I know there is a box under the passenger side that is a sensor that needs to be remounted. There is barely enough wire and we mounted it on the seat rail with 2 small bolts.

Later,
Old 03-03-2010, 10:15 AM
ZO6NTHEWIND
Racer

Originally Posted by southern_son
Looking good, Dave. I guess Dennis is a bad influence on you.
If you only knew. Actually I've been the bad influence on Dennis. I went with him to his first event last year at Memphis. He ended up with 'Wild Man' Bob for an instructor and was driving around me after his first session.
Dennis has since bought a new trailer, truck and as you know taken his car to Jerry and had his car caged. At his business he has one of those charity cans for people to drop change. If you look closely behind the sad faced dog there is his Corvette in the background.
We're planning on going to Barber the end of this month, join us!

We also are planning on going to the 10/10th Autobahn event and Putnam the end of Aug.

Later,
Old 03-03-2010, 10:17 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6NTHEWIND
Art

Good questions. I am 235lbs, 38 waist. 5'11'". Don't know my chest measurement. Like most 'old guys' (55) I've got a bit of belly.

When we started on the passenger side we just gave it a guess as far as the position and put the adjustment as low as possible. When we first trial fitted it the top of the seat hit the roof. We thought 'holly cow' how are these going to fit???? We took it out and went way low on the back, slight tilt up front. We ended up have to grind a little of the bracket on the rear to clear a little tab on the seat. After a few more tries we got it where it would fit just right, just clearing the roof, back almost all the way to the rear.
We then thought 'lets try this same set up on the drivers side'. So we put that seat in the drivers side. Well it was just way off and we had to start all over again.
For the drivers side we ended up turning the rear plate sideways for a different adjustment. After a few times in and out we got that one too.
The whole process was helped along because Dennis (Beretta on the forum) had put seats in his car so he had some experience in this.
We did retain the factory belts. The latch part was unbolted from the factory seat and bolted on the Hard Bar rails. There is BARELY enough room between the seat and the console for it to fit. Despite what I have read the factory belts go across my chest and across my lap without hitting the seat.

These seat are the Kirkey Road Race Seat, both are 17". I do not believe that anything bigger would fit.

As far as comfort, these are really! really! comfortable! My car is street driven, not really a DD. I don't plan on taking these out at all. The difficult part is just getting in and out of the car. Trying to squeeze out from the seat in between the steering wheel. I am thinking about getting a removable steering wheel.
Dennis has set of Corbeau seats in his Z06. The drivers side is the smaller one and the passenger is the bigger model. I drove his car and have ridden in the passenger side. I really wanted these seats to work for me as they about about half the cost. But they just did not feel right. I've ridden in a few cars with 'fiberglass' or whatever they are made of and I have never said 'hay this is a great seat what brand is it' I'm getting one of these. I just took a chance with these. I still have to get a back brace for them. I'm real happy with my choice.

BTW the 'Big Boy' in the picture is Dennis.

Thanks

My real problem is I want to mount the seats in a C4. Talk about tight fits.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:38 AM
ZO6NTHEWIND
Racer

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
Here is my experience with hardbar rails and kirkey roadrace deluxe seats.

I am 6'2", 250lbs, 42in waist and 48in chest. I have the kirkey road race deluxe size 17 in my c5. With my thick firesuit I fit fine.

With the seat on the hardbar rails most people have plenty of headroom because the setup puts you lower to the floor. I have no issues.

Hardbar rails have many holes for fine tuning your seat adjustment but once in the car you cannot make further adjustments without taking them out. At first I was a bit concerned about not being able to make adjustments but after everything was set up it doesn't bother me.

I run kirkey road race deluxe.

I planned to take them out when not at the track but I find them comfortable for the street driving I do.

I do not see how you could use the stock seatbelts with this seat.

Hope this helps and the OP I am sure will fill in his opinions.
With everything except we were able to retain the factory belts.
These are the most comfortable (race) seats I've ever sat in.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:41 AM
ZO6NTHEWIND
Racer

Yea a C-4 is another situation all together.

Later,
Old 03-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

For the c5 you disconnect the wiring harness and leave everything with the seat (excluding the seat belt).

When you do this you lose telescopic steering wheel so you will need to be able to plug it back in later to make adjustments. I was able to have the OEM seat outside of my car plugged in so I could adjust the steering wheel where I wanted it. I have never moved it since.

I do recommend you look at pics of seats with the hardbar in place to use as a starting point for seat position. I think it will save a lot of time since there are many combinations.

I posted my pics in another thread or just look at the ones here. Remember you are also adding your harness which needs to be attached.

And yes on the passenger side there is a sensor which needs to be relocated to the hardbar rail. Gary has holes ready drilled for guidance.

Best of luck.

Bob
Old 03-03-2010, 12:51 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Sparco Evos fit, but like you I want a Kirkey

Old 03-03-2010, 01:01 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
For the c5 you disconnect the wiring harness and leave everything with the seat (excluding the seat belt).

When you do this you lose telescopic steering wheel so you will need to be able to plug it back in later to make adjustments. I was able to have the OEM seat outside of my car plugged in so I could adjust the steering wheel where I wanted it. I have never moved it since.

I do recommend you look at pics of seats with the hardbar in place to use as a starting point for seat position. I think it will save a lot of time since there are many combinations.

I posted my pics in another thread or just look at the ones here. Remember you are also adding your harness which needs to be attached.

And yes on the passenger side there is a sensor which needs to be relocated to the hardbar rail. Gary has holes ready drilled for guidance.

Best of luck.

Bob
Thanks Bob, I have a C5 Z06 so no telescopic steering wheel. I was concerned about the air bag. I'll see if I can dig up your old thread. I felt like the instructions left me hanging a little with what that box is and what to do with it.

Thanks again, Nathan

Get notified of new replies

To Kirkey Seats installed

Old 03-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, your sub straps are installed wrong.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Rob Burgoon
FYI, your sub straps are installed wrong.
from what I can tell the sub goes from the front center of the seat, under the seat and is attached to the rear. am I missing something?
Old 03-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Thanks Bob, I have a C5 Z06 so no telescopic steering wheel. I was concerned about the air bag. I'll see if I can dig up your old thread. I felt like the instructions left me hanging a little with what that box is and what to do with it.

Thanks again, Nathan
here is where mine started out (actually it looks close to the one above). Note - I did install 2 more bolts after I had it exactly where I wanted it. 1 in the top front and another in the bottom rear.

Quick Reply: Kirkey Seats installed