Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer tires -question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 05:25 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Trailer tires -question

I did a search in this forum on trailer tires and still have a question. It seems most guys are recommending 'D' load range tires and I understand the logic. But just based on the economics, I'd like to stay with 'C' range on my 16 ft open trailer (solid deck). I'm towing a C5 Z-06, I don't have a tire rack or tool box on the trailer (all that stuff goes in the truck). The trailer's original tires (Towmaster, 205-75-14) have performed great - just need replaced. Any thoughts on staying with the C load range - thanks
Old 03-05-2010, 07:59 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

A Goodyear Marathon 205/75-14 trailer tire has a max load capacity of 1760 lbs. That's 3500 lbs per axle so if you have a two axle trailer, that should be OK. Going to a 215/75 tire will increase each tires load capacity by 100 lbs but you may need a 6" wide wheel.

D-range tires will have an even higher load range rating.

If you look at the Tire Rack website, they have a new Kumho trailer tire in the size you need with a D rating and 2270 lbs capacity. They run 65 psi instead of most tires that run 50 psi. They appear to be competitive in price to the Goodyear Marathons.

Make sure that whatever you get is rated "ST" for trailer use only; don't use truck tires or P-metric tires.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:54 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

trouble is trailer tires fail often and for no reason, even when no where near there load rating. Most people like the added safety of the heavier load (more plies), yet even then they seem to fail.

However, having a few extra pounds of capacity may help spare the other 3 tires if one blows at high speed. If you are close to the limit with 4 good tires, and you lose one, you instantly overload the other three. Usually not a big deal, but having added capacity gives you a nice margin of error when things go wrong.

If you haven't had any problems get, what you are comfortable with.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
trouble is trailer tires fail often and for no reason, even when no where near there load rating. Most people like the added safety of the heavier load (more plies), yet even then they seem to fail.

However, having a few extra pounds of capacity may help spare the other 3 tires if one blows at high speed. If you are close to the limit with 4 good tires, and you lose one, you instantly overload the other three. Usually not a big deal, but having added capacity gives you a nice margin of error when things go wrong.

I have to agree...I can't beleive how often trailer tires fail...

I carry two mounted spares and have used both of them before.

What ever you do keep those suckers aired up.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.trailertires.com/
Old 03-06-2010, 12:35 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I have worn out three sets of trailer tires over 17 years and have never had one fail on me. Total weight of my 16 ft. trailer with the car and tires on it is 5500 lbs. I run the C rated tires. I bought a spare 11 years ago and am thinking I need to replace it due to the tire rotting. If I ever had to use it there might be a pop as soon as I let the jack down.

Bill
Old 03-06-2010, 09:01 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How long can you press 20 lb. over your head vs. 50 lb.? Your tire feels the same way. I have GY Marathons 15 D or E really never had one fail due to the tire. I recently had one bulge but caught it . I use the trailer for business all the time and have went through a few sets in 6 years with a lot of weight on the 10,000 lb trailer. Extra capacity is going to make it work less and last longer. All the money spent on cars here the trailer is not where to cut back. I just paid 130 mounted for a tire how much less could something else be? I rather skip a dinner out if need be.

Side of the road with traffic whizzing passed is no fun! DOT now recommends all tires be replaced after 5 years on all vehicles. I think we all check the tire pressure on the race car to much and the trailer to little! I have been shocked a few times what I have found on my own. Then the tire may be damaged even if you inflate it properly. Every time you get in the trailer to move it at least kick all the tires you will feel if one is soft.

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-06-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
I have to agree...I can't beleive how often trailer tires fail...

I carry two mounted spares and have used both of them before.
What ever you do keep those suckers aired up.
Similar experience here.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:12 PM
imp zog
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

trouble is trailer tires fail often and for no reason, even when no where near there load rating.
Start to make a tight turn with your trailer and park that way. If you look at the tires on one side, one will be horribly distorted in one direction and the other in the other direction, as they have to flex laterally a lot in order to turn the trailer. This is normal, but puts a lot of strain on the tire sidewalls, which is why they seem to blow long before their tread wears out. The rule of thumb is, even if you don't use the trailer a lot (which can be worse, actually), replace them every 3 years regardless of tread depth left.

And I totally agree: overspec the tires! Don't save a few bucks going with lighter load tires, as a highway blowout will potentially cost you a LOT more!

Last edited by imp zog; 03-06-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:47 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Using over rated tires Do not last any longer!!!....Period!!! They do compensate if you overload the trailer but they don't help that much if you blow a tire. Because you can't continue to tow with a flat tire anyway. The major cause of tire failure on trailers is, bent axels and spindles, also sharp turns tend to wear trailer tires. Other things on the trailer are rated for the carrying capacity IE" Axels, spindles, springs and bearings. Remember when you put 6000lbs on a 5000lbs trailer and hit a curb??? These are the things that create tire failure on trailers. If your tires are wearing out on the inside or cupping!! You have a bent axel or spindle. I assure you that if you are blowing or wearing out trailer tires you either have something bent or are towing overloaded!!!!!!! JD
Old 03-06-2010, 04:48 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for the input guys - it all makes sense and is the same logic that I would apply on the job - that's when I'm writing specs for others and OPM (other people's money)!!

Appreciate the the advice - Now I just need to work it into track budget.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:17 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Using over rated tires Do not last any longer!!!....Period!!! They do compensate if you overload the trailer but they don't help that much if you blow a tire. Because you can't continue to tow with a flat tire anyway. The major cause of tire failure on trailers is, bent axels and spindles, also sharp turns tend to wear trailer tires. Other things on the trailer are rated for the carrying capacity IE" Axels, spindles, springs and bearings. Remember when you put 6000lbs on a 5000lbs trailer and hit a curb??? These are the things that create tire failure on trailers. If your tires are wearing out on the inside or cupping!! You have a bent axel or spindle. I assure you that if you are blowing or wearing out trailer tires you either have something bent or are towing overloaded!!!!!!! JD
Friend had a 7000 trailer enclosed and was going through 14" tires like crazy. He was towing thousands upon thousands of miles like NY to NV with a 58 Chev Cameo truck. he did 40-50,000 miles in one year. He went to 15" high load range and that was the end of his problems. Then he sold the trailers and went to 10,000 lb rating. High load range will take more abuse. I would never be caught on the no-name Chinese crap tires everyone is selling. He had the truck since 1960 and restored it to top notch award winning truck. GM offer to buy it 6 years ago.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:21 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Your right pop one tire and the remaining tire on that side is in real bad shape with the overload. Higher rating is better for potholes also.

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-07-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:02 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Friend had a 7000 trailer enclosed and was going through 14" tires like crazy. He was towing thousands upon thousands of miles like NY to NV with a 58 Chev Cameo truck. he did 40-50,000 miles in one year. He went to 15" high load range and that was the end of his problems. Then he sold the trailers and went to 10,000 lb rating. High load range will take more abuse. I would never be caught on the no-name Chinese crap tires everyone is selling. He had the truck since 1960 and restored it to top notch award winning truck. GM offer to buy it 6 years ago.
Going up in tire size is not always the same as going up in tire rating. You can increase the capacity without increasing tire size. Going from a 14" to 15" will improve wear because the tire is turning less RPMs when going the same distance, it has very little to do with capacity. JD
Old 03-07-2010, 10:48 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Going up in tire size is not always the same as going up in tire rating. You can increase the capacity without increasing tire size. Going from a 14" to 15" will improve wear because the tire is turning less RPMs when going the same distance, it has very little to do with capacity. JD
Larger object will roll over bumps better. Less rpm less heat. Larger size less heat. Higher rating & size less tire flex and less heat.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:53 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Larger object will roll over bumps better. Less rpm less heat. Larger size less heat. Higher rating & size less tire flex and less heat.
I understand that a another friend has had the same experience with his trailers. Go bigger and heavier rating.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:26 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by southern_son
I understand that a another friend has had the same experience with his trailers. Go bigger and heavier rating.
yep your hanging off a cliff do you want a rope rated for 200 and your 199 or one rated for 300?

As we all blow off super expensive track tires the trailer is not where I would cut back, Hoosiers 1400 and 3-4 days use vs trailer tires 520 years of use?

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-07-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer tires -question

Quick Reply: Trailer tires -question